Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2014, 12:45 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,286,271 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHKID View Post
I'll have to respectfully disagree. My parents house is in the Tipp City area, and it's exactly 20 min by car from their doorstep to the Dragons stadium. And they live a lot more off the beaten path than Abbott Labs or Meijer off 25-A.
But they aren't going to make it to Kettering in 20 minutes, or some other places on the list. And a rush hour commute is going to slow things down even more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 05:32 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,162,738 times
^Good point. Yeah, most of Kettering will put you at about 30 minutes, same with Beavercreek, even Fairborn is over 20min. Some places I mentioned, like Austin Landing, are easily 40min or worse on a bad traffic day.

Tipp City is fairly isolated, that's it's major downside. Troy has a small YP contingency, a very small one that frequents places in town like Leaf and Vine downtown, or if they feel daring head over to the Brewery. If the OP was interested in it (Troy is an excellent city, but it won't have all the excitement of the OD in Dayton), here would be a good place to start:

HYPE - Troy Area Chamber of Commerce

Upside is downtown Troy is only about 6-7 min from where he'd be working. Also on some great bike trails and popular spots to canoe. Heck, there's even this:
Canoegrass | Paddle faster, I hear bluegrass!

which is on my bucket list. A good friend from college (from Cincy btw, not Tipp) went and told me it was absolutely excellent.

Anyways OP, very sorry I don't know more specifically about Troy's YP scene, but I will say it is the hub of YPs in the north valley who choose to not live in Dayton. That being said, I don't think there's a ton of YPs there, but I could definitely be wrong.

Good luck!

Old 12-05-2014, 08:55 PM

OP - quick side note. There might be a few YPs in Troy.

How do I know? Over summer I went to Meijer in Troy and had a late 20's / early 30-something woman hit on me. Did the whole light following, left hand to grab fruit to show she didn't have a ring on her finger, etc. to me. All good fun. I would have said something, like I'm sorry but I'm still in college, but I was with my parents (who caught on quicker than me to what was happening), and they basically yanked me out of there. Oh well, early taste of the YP life I guess haha. But I felt bad about being rude.

So there's some hope I guess. Not a ton in Troy, but you're definitely better off there than you would be in Tipp City itself or any other surrounding locales like Vandalia, West Milton, New Carlisle, etc. Although Vandalia does have Scene 75..... idk.

Anyways, best of luck and if you have any more questions please ask! It's finals week for me so I'll probably respond fast haha.

Old 12-06-2014, 10:44 PM

40 posts, read 61,855 times
thanks y'all!
i interview in a few days. if i get the job, then i'll find a room to rent for a few months to give me time to learn the area and figure out where i want to be. i def do not want to be in a small town.

the oregon district seems like a good option. what is traffic like traveling north on 75 from that area?

Old 12-07-2014, 12:44 PM

It's not bad!

I did it every day this past summer, just in reverse. Traffic wasn't bad in either direction. Only thing you'll have to watch for is the speed limit - it's 55mph almost all the way from downtown up to Needmore Rd., which is kinda grueling. And they enforce it pretty well, but the vast majority of people will still be going 70+ mph. That's why I always use the general rule of thumb of "be the third fastest on the hwy at most" - because then the two idiots going faster than you will get pulled over, and you'll be fine. Upside is you'll be avoiding all the traffic nightmare that is currently happening with construction from Main St. south to UD Arena. If you ever are coming back to the OD from Cincy, I highly recommend getting off the highway at Dixie in West Carrollton and taking it until it turns into Patterson and heads right into the OD by the Transportation center garage.

Additionally, Main St. and Rt. 4 onto 75 as well as Keowee onto Rt. 4 are very nice interchanges with plenty of clearance. It'll probably come down to personal preference on which way you like to get to the OD the most. I personally always liked Main, but it's somewhat slower.

Good luck!

Old 12-10-2014, 02:55 AM

1,870 posts, read 1,901,779 times
Get some temporary digs for a couple of weeks and take a drive every day in a direction you are interested in.

Ask people at work where they live.

Even when you have the job, don't be a dummy and commit to a place to live right away.

This advice applies to any new place, not just Dayton.

Old 12-11-2014, 10:21 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,301,996 times
Not sure why people think 675 is such an easy highway to navigate. It isn't. Especially this time of year. Get back to us when it snows again. Talk about death trap with all those overpasses! Eeeekkkkkk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton