Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2015, 04:31 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,158,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post
I think that's something that the whole city should take to heart.
Great quote, where's it from?

And yeah I have to agree. The best thing about the post-union, post-Delphi, GM, NCR era.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2015, 04:33 PM

6,509 posts, read 8,448,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac1407 View Post
Dayton should be pushing that to the creative classes in those cities who are paying $1,500 a month for a studio apartment and eating ramen every night.
A lot of those types have settled for cities like Detroit where they pay twice or three times that amount to live downtown and even less than it costs to live in Dayton in the surrounding neighborhoods. Some of them think that they're going to experience that life infamously portrayed in the movie "Rent", in Detroit's urban wasteland before everyone else catches on. But if you actually want those hipsters to relocate to Dayton;

I know that something is better than nothing in certain cases but if you want a flood of pretentious, broke, wanna be trust fund types moving to Dayton because it is the next cool, hip thing be careful what you ask for. I'm sure there are some natives in New York that would be more than happy to part with them.

If people want to move to Dayton, they should pay for the privilege of doing so. If they are successful creative types they can afford to live anywhere and will choose to move to Dayton for the right reasons, not because it is cheap.

Last edited by goofy328; 04-16-2015 at 04:53 PM..

Old 05-09-2015, 04:56 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,549,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDriesenUD View Post
We need local government to give companies reasons to be creative, innovative, and grow. And, not just do that, but do that in Dayton. Not start in Dayton and then move. We need to give the growing companies reasons to stay.
You win 100 Dayton city-datas for this comment.

For my part, I'm happy to be here.

Old 05-10-2015, 11:58 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,655 times
Thanks

Old 05-25-2015, 09:56 AM

1,615 posts, read 1,640,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyMac1407 View Post
I will probably get blasted for saying this....but....here goes...

In the long run, NCR and GM bolting is exactly what Dayton needed. The entire history of this town was built on innovation, thinkers, and creators. Dayton got away from all of that. Instead it rested on it's laurels. People worked union jobs that were unsustainable (and not just GM), people took for granted NCR would never leave it's hometown. When those 2 finally did, it made everyone step back and say, "we HAVE to reinvent ourselves."

The past 4-5 years the city and region have done a good job. UDRI has expanded, UD has brought in new business to the part of town NCR once owned. Honda has expanded in several locations, offering good paying jobs without having to fight with unions. Fuayo coming in will be a large shot in the arm. Manufacturing companies are much more nimble and able to better compete in a global marketplace. Reshoring will continue to benefit Dayton.

There are plenty of reasons to be pessimistic towards the future. But, there are a lot of reasons (as mentioned by SWOHio) to be plenty excited also.
I worked twice at NCR and it was a great place,good wages and many perks which were for the employees and their families. Old river was one and wonderful place to go. Big auditorium where employees could buy a boxed lunch and watch a movie which was shown over a two day period. They had an independent union. All was well for decades then employees got big promises from an outside union to vote them in. Greed replaced common sense and in came the new union. Job securith out the door. Thousands lost their jobs then company disappeared. End of story.

Old 05-27-2015, 09:05 AM

1,328 posts, read 1,446,655 times
Yeah, my grandpa worked their a long time ago when it was still a great company.

Old 05-27-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv my dayton View Post
I worked twice at NCR and it was a great place,good wages and many perks which were for the employees and their families. Old river was one and wonderful place to go. Big auditorium where employees could buy a boxed lunch and watch a movie which was shown over a two day period. They had an independent union. All was well for decades then employees got big promises from an outside union to vote them in. Greed replaced common sense and in came the new union. Job securith out the door. Thousands lost their jobs then company disappeared. End of story.

Amazing. Hard to imagine any company like that today, especially in the Dayton area. Thanks for sharing!

Old 05-27-2015, 03:26 PM

908 posts, read 1,417,872 times
The Beavercreek tornado seems to be making news around the country. Fortunately, my family lives in a part that didn't get hit.

Old 06-02-2015, 06:16 PM

Not "news" per se, but the Dayton Mall shooting over Air Jordans is referenced in this current rap song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvlQOjK0MPk

Lyrics:
Truffle Butter Lyrics from Genuis.com

Specifically
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Wayne, Truffle Butter
I'm so heartless, thoughtless, lawless n' flawless
Smallest regardless, largest in charge and born in New Orleans
Get killed 4 Jordans
Skateboard, I'm gnarly; Drake, Tunechi and Barbie
Which genius.com lyrical analysis pegs as:
Quote:
Originally Posted by genius.com
Lil Wayne grew up in the very dangerous city of New Orleans, Louisiana in the neighborhood of Hollygrove. The area was so violent that you could get killed for wearing some Jordan sneakers.

He also references the shooting of a young man in New Orleans that was shot in the mall over a pair of Jordans on Christmas Eve this past year.
But in reality that shooting didn't hapen in New Orleans. It happened right here in our own backyard.

Anyways, I am a huge fan of this song and listening to it today added this whole new dimension to it.

Old 06-09-2015, 01:57 PM

This time for pigs:

Piglets flee overturned truck near Dayton, Ohio - BBC News

Poor little guys. Hope the ones hurt can make it through ok.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton