Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2015, 09:18 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times

Advertisements

I may be a Democrat, but I'm going to miss having him around as my Rep.

He reminds me so much of my uncle.

Best of luck to him though, and I hope my friends in Wetherington get a chance to see him out on the golf course, scotch in hand. He deserves a good retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2015, 10:43 AM

1,205 posts, read 1,855,436 times
I'm actually kinda dreading what manner of wacky whackjob he's going to be replaced with when there's no shortage of these types in the GOP...

I don't particularly like him much or at all to be honest, but it can't be easy dealing with a rock on one side and the Tea Party nuts on the other, it doesn't surprise me he wants out before **** really hits the fan.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:45 AM

2,194 posts, read 3,851,861 times
Good riddance. A quick look at Boehner's tenure:

- Income tax hiked from 35% to 39.6%
- Capital gains tax hiked from 14% to 20%
- FERS tax hiked from 0.8% to 4.4%
- Obamacare's funding was never halted
- The debt limit was increased four times and Boehner caved every time except in 2011 (once)
- Obama's executive amnesty for illegal immigrants proceeds at full speed

Nowhere in any of Boehner's tenure did he show an ounce of backbone or even attempt to advance a conservative agenda.

Bye, Felicia!

Old 09-25-2015, 11:47 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,553,942 times
I can't say I was a fan, however I think he tried to be a presence for sanity. Unfortunately, that seems to be a liability in the Capitol right now - so I don't blame him at all for getting out.

If this avoids a shutdown, and many are predicting it will, then I give him my sincere thanks for making a sacrifice in order to keep the country functioning.

I'd like to think that another semi-moderate would be elected (a lot more transplants in this area than when Boehner started). We'll see who they run to replace him.

Old 09-25-2015, 03:30 PM

3,513 posts, read 5,164,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hensleya1 View Post

- The debt limit was increased four times and Boehner caved every time except in 2011 (once)

Nowhere in any of Boehner's tenure did he show an ounce of backbone or even attempt to advance a conservative agenda.

Bye, Felicia!
Boehner was a solid conservative, not even a moderate by any stretch of the imagination.

He was a pragmatist, which is EXACTLY what is needed in government. He caved on some issues, stood strong on others, and worked the deals to get the highest percentage of wins he could. Politics isn't a zero sum game.

That's what's wrong the far-right wing....

I mean, I could be saying exactly the same of Obama (many Bernie supporters are) but I know he's done a heck of a job and accomplished a lot of great goals. Sure, he has compromised, and I know he might use the Keystone pipeline as an ultimate bargaining chip for a larger goal he wants to get done (I'd use it for something like a federal HSR system to reduce oil demand if I were him, but whatever works). In short, sure he's had to give in, but that's life. We all compromise.

There's nothing scarier than a politician that isn't willing to compromise...

Old 09-25-2015, 04:11 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,755,374 times
Quote:

Bye, Felicia!

It's nice to be near someone who might be the president, especially if it takes no effort.

(Power can come in handy.)

Old 09-25-2015, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
Boehner was a solid conservative, not even a moderate by any stretch of the imagination.

He was a pragmatist, which is EXACTLY what is needed in government. He caved on some issues, stood strong on others, and worked the deals to get the highest percentage of wins he could. Politics isn't a zero sum game.

That's what's wrong the far-right wing....

I mean, I could be saying exactly the same of Obama (many Bernie supporters are) but I know he's done a heck of a job and accomplished a lot of great goals. Sure, he has compromised, and I know he might use the Keystone pipeline as an ultimate bargaining chip for a larger goal he wants to get done (I'd use it for something like a federal HSR system to reduce oil demand if I were him, but whatever works). In short, sure he's had to give in, but that's life. We all compromise.

There's nothing scarier than a politician that isn't willing to compromise...
Boehner didn't compromise. He flat out surrendered. Every time.

Obama wanted amnesty for illegal immigrants via executive fiat. He got exactly that.

Obama wanted Obamacare fully funded. He got exactly that.

Obama wanted to hike income and capital gains taxes. He got every single thing he wanted. Every time.

There is absolutely nothing, save the 2011 "budget cuts" which were really just a reduction in the growth of spending. You're welcome to point out Boehner's accomplishments for the conservative cause, but I'm telling you as a conservative, there aren't any.

Old 09-25-2015, 11:09 PM

The standing ovation that Marco Rubio got when he announced Boehner's resignation tells it all:

Standing O at Values Voter Summit as Rubio announces Boehner's resignation | TheHill

Boehner didn't represent the conservative cause. From amnesty to Loretta Lynch to tax hikes, Boehner fully and completely capitulated Every Single Time. And the Republican base that he was elected to serve was fed up with his antics.

People like Donald Trump are only popular for one reason: John Boehner.

This resignation only happened because his speakership would have only survived past October if the Democrats had bailed him out - at that point he might as well have switched parties.

Old 09-26-2015, 04:52 AM

913 posts, read 2,362,940 times
Quote:
The standing ovation that Marco Rubio got when he announced Boehner's resignation tells it all:

Standing O at Values Voter Summit as Rubio announces Boehner's resignation | TheHill

Boehner didn't represent the conservative cause. From amnesty to Loretta Lynch to tax hikes, Boehner fully and completely capitulated Every Single Time. And the Republican base that he was elected to serve was fed up with his antics.

This resignation only happened because his speakership would have only survived past October if the Democrats had bailed him out - at that point he might as well have switched parties.
You know I actually feel for Boehner and was going to try and defend him. But then I thought, what for? I love it when the Repubs eat their own. Remember the old saying "be careful for what you wish for"? The far right got what they wanted. IMO, this is the beginning of the end for the right wing zealots. It's easy to criticize and ridicule from the back seat, but when your decisions actually matter - you are responsible for the consequences. The far right continually over estimates their support and ability to govern. Jim Jordan is not going to be the savoir they had hoped for (if he even gets as far as the speakership). Wouldn't be surprised if the far right tries something never done - try and nominate someone for speakership that is not a member of the house.

Old 09-26-2015, 07:38 AM

1,898 posts, read 2,755,374 times
Quote:

Elected folks are elected to serve ALL the people of a given area.

Charley Whalen you are indeed missed. And, so is that long gone factory worker who asked you who you represented.

To the casual visitor: this message board room doesn't particularly represent the inherent "smarts" in Dayton -- there's maybe two-three people who stop by at times.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: