Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2017, 04:16 PM

6 posts, read 16,215 times

Advertisements

I visited Dayton area last year and saw a lot of closed business and boarded up homes. I visted west Dayton and trotwood was not impressed. I would like to hope Dayton is up and coming but since i will be retiring and I know a couple of people in Dayton I was thinking about moving to Dayton cause California is too expensive. I rode around Kettering and went to mall in beaver creek can anyone tell me about property tax and the good and bad for centerville Kettering Hubert heights englewood Clayton etc I want to be able to go to a grocery store a gym Doctor dentist Most of all I want to feel safe. I will be looking to purchase a house
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2017, 08:21 PM

1,898 posts, read 2,751,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitality1 View Post
I visited Dayton area last year and saw a lot of closed business and boarded up homes. I visted west Dayton and trotwood was not impressed. I would like to hope Dayton is up and coming but since i will be retiring and I know a couple of people in Dayton I was thinking about moving to Dayton cause California is too expensive. I rode around Kettering and went to mall in beaver creek can anyone tell me about property tax and the good and bad for centerville Kettering Hubert heights englewood Clayton etc I want to be able to go to a grocery store a gym Doctor dentist Most of all I want to feel safe. I will be looking to purchase a house
How well do you know the people in Dayton? Are they in the city proper or in a suburb? It makes a difference.

West Dayton (depending on what you mean by that) is for young people to rebuild. Do you need something like the VA hospital? Are you interested in the national park stuff?

Old 09-04-2017, 05:30 AM

135 posts, read 183,452 times
That's like going to the south Bronx and coming away with the conclusion that all of NYC is sketchy. Trotwood is the worst part of Dayton. I don't know if I'd describe Dayton as "up and coming"; it's still a rust belt city. But there are quite nice places to live. The general rule of thumb is that suburbs along I-675 are preferable, and for the most part that's true. I happen to like Vandalia and Englewood more than most people. Almost anyone would be happy to live in Centerville or Kettering. There's nothing unsafe there.

Old 09-04-2017, 05:38 AM

413 posts, read 301,405 times
What you don't want to move to Florida? Just kidding it seams everyone wants to these days. Try Hubor Heights. It is a nice town.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:12 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbelt View Post
That's like going to the south Bronx and coming away with the conclusion that all of NYC is sketchy. Trotwood is the worst part of Dayton. I don't know if I'd describe Dayton as "up and coming"; it's still a rust belt city. But there are quite nice places to live. The general rule of thumb is that suburbs along I-675 are preferable, and for the most part that's true. I happen to like Vandalia and Englewood more than most people. Almost anyone would be happy to live in Centerville or Kettering. There's nothing unsafe there.
I'll +1 this, spot on.

OP, to be honest I'm not sure if you're from the area or are familiar with Trotwood / northwest Dayton, but it has changed a lot since the early '90's. To be honest it's actually looking pretty good now, there's not a lot of vacancies along the Main or Salem commercial strips anymore. It doesn't look as good as Kettering, sure, but it's not bad, especially compared to ~2008.

Trotwood can be pretty decent depending on where you go, it's a suburb you really have to know your way around to understand. Even I don't fully understand it. But if you're looking for a house for ~$40k, Olde Town Trotwood isn't a horrible option. Also if you want some land for ~$120k, Trotwood is an excellent option as well.

So it really comes down to your budget. What is it?

If you are looking to buy and your budget is <$50k, I'd look into Olde Town Trotwood like I mentioned, a small cottage in Five Oaks or Dayton View, Fairview and points north of Sibenthaler (in general I'd stay as close to Philadelphia Drive as I could get) Old North Dayton, Walnut Hills, and possibly some spots in Hearthstone and Belmont. In these areas you'd get an OK neighborhood (scope out the block before you buy though) and a house in decent condition.

If your budget is $100k or less, that opens up a lot of the suburbs, including Huber Heights and Kettering, some nicely renovated houses in places like Wright-Dunbar, St. Anne's Hill and South Park, and some of the big mansions in Five Oaks and Dayton View.

Over $100k the world can probably be your oyster around here if you're smart about it and look hard. I've even seen small cottages in Oakwood go for $105k within the past year (keep in mind they were SMALL but if you're going for neighborhood only it's something to consider).

Good luck!

Old 09-04-2017, 08:17 AM

3,513 posts, read 5,156,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitality1 View Post
Re-reading this I see you are wondering about taxes.

Outside Montgomery County taxes are lower than inside of it but unless you're buying a house >$200k you'll be eating the difference in gas or other transportation costs to get around. The only exception I'd see to this is Beavercreek, but there's almost nothing there under $150k. Kinda similar to Oakwood in that respect.

If you're a senior, I'd stay in Montgomery County so you can take advantage of the bus system if you need to. For the most part it does not leave Montgomery County (with a few exceptions, like the route to the mall in Beavercreek and WSU).

Old 09-04-2017, 11:06 AM

no i dont need the va hospital. just looking for quiet area in the suburbs. not interested in national park stuff. just want to be close to do ordinary errands and attend some events if need be.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinbelt View Post
thanks for the info, i shall look along i 675 once i figure out where that is. yes i was told centerville and kettering was nice.

Old 09-04-2017, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan west View Post
What you don't want to move to Florida? Just kidding it seams everyone wants to these days. Try Hubor Heights. It is a nice town.
my friend daughter live in huber heights, but i did not visit huber heights when i was there. only thing am concern with in huber heights is the i 75 i think, it appears a lot of big trucks constantly on that freeway all day. is that true

Old 09-04-2017, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOH View Post
I'll +1 this, spot on.

OP, to be honest I'm not sure if you're from the area or are familiar with Trotwood / northwest Dayton, but it has changed a lot since the early '90's. To be honest it's actually looking pretty good now, there's not a lot of vacancies along the Main or Salem commercial strips anymore. It doesn't look as good as Kettering, sure, but it's not bad, especially compared to ~2008.

Trotwood can be pretty decent depending on where you go, it's a suburb you really have to know your way around to understand. Even I don't fully understand it. But if you're looking for a house for ~$40k, Olde Town Trotwood isn't a horrible option. Also if you want some land for ~$120k, Trotwood is an excellent option as well.

So it really comes down to your budget. What is it?

If you are looking to buy and your budget is <$50k, I'd look into Olde Town Trotwood like I mentioned, a small cottage in Five Oaks or Dayton View, Fairview and points north of Sibenthaler (in general I'd stay as close to Philadelphia Drive as I could get) Old North Dayton, Walnut Hills, and possibly some spots in Hearthstone and Belmont. In these areas you'd get an OK neighborhood (scope out the block before you buy though) and a house in decent condition.

If your budget is $100k or less, that opens up a lot of the suburbs, including Huber Heights and Kettering, some nicely renovated houses in places like Wright-Dunbar, St. Anne's Hill and South Park, and some of the big mansions in Five Oaks and Dayton View.

Over $100k the world can probably be your oyster around here if you're smart about it and look hard. I've even seen small cottages in Oakwood go for $105k within the past year (keep in mind they were SMALL but if you're going for neighborhood only it's something to consider).

Good luck!
wow great information just the kind of information i was looking for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: