Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2007, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 4,815 times

Advertisements

I am considering relocating to Dayton and am looking for recommendations on home builders in the Cincy/Dayton area; especially the Springboro/Lebanon areas.

I've been considering some Ryan Homes communities, but I'd like to get feedback from the local community on if they are a good builder and which other builders I should consider.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2008, 11:08 PM

3 posts, read 12,952 times
We are moving to Springboro this summer (relocation too). We are building in Silver Lakes Estates with Ashford Homes. This was a Ryan community but they pulled out last month. Ashford Homes has a model at the community and a web site. So far they have been great to work with. The lots are beautiful and big, between 1 1/2 to 3 acres with a five acre lake in the middle of the development.
Good luck with the relo.

Old 03-21-2008, 04:08 AM

3,763 posts, read 12,553,942 times
Re: Ryan. We built (closed Wednesday!) with Ryan in Cedar Trace - Lebanon (actually Turtle Creek Township, but Lebanon Mailing/Schools). It is an all city utility community, with 1 acre + (I think there are some 2's and one 3 left) lots.

We very seriously considered Ashford, but ultimately decided on Ryan due to floorplan/lot size/function/aesthetics/location/price. Also at the time Ashford (smaller, local builder) was not building outside of Butler/Hamilton County.

Ryan does have a history of pulling out of communities quickly if they decide there is little to no financial incentive for them to remain. I will not try to defend that - it is a smart business decision, but potentially bewildering for residents of those communities. However historically Ryan (if they pull out of a community) has left behind warranty/service departments to honor warranties in those areas. They are simply a giant builder who are quick to limit their financial liability should a market turn soft.

We have been pleased with our home's construction - my brother is an architecht and home inspector and he looked it over several times and said that they were doing just as they should.

Other builders in this region (that I know of): Dixon, Pendragon, Zaring/Drees/Marquis, TK, Gold Key (up nearer to Dayton), Fischer/Maple Street, Maronda (in Franklin), Ryland (are they still active?), Beazer (may have pulled out - there were rumors to that effect).

I didn't get up as far as Springboro, but the whole area - Lebanon, Franklin, Waynesville, Wilmington is a pretty one.

Good luck!! Feel free to ask more questions!

Old 09-15-2008, 01:12 PM

6 posts, read 19,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugg77 View Post
I am considering relocating to Dayton and am looking for recommendations on home builders in the Cincy/Dayton area; especially the Springboro/Lebanon areas.

I've been considering some Ryan Homes communities, but I'd like to get feedback from the local community on if they are a good builder and which other builders I should consider.

Thanks.
Ryan homes builds high quality homes in several states. I wish I had known they were here in Ohio when I moved here. Instead, I bought a home from Maple Street homes. What a mistake!!! Horrible customer service after the sale, and I found out (too late, I bought mine sight-unseen via phone, in conjunction with a move - I had to trust their people that everything was right... Mistake TWO)

They build homes out of a sheathing material that, as far as I can tell, most closely resembles cardboard. There's not a whole lot of wood in these homes, folks, and EVERYTHING is the cheapest, lowest quality available.

I had to re-do a lot of the drywall mudding and taping in mine, and I had to strap the plumbing down - it knocked all over the house when I shut the water off - a common condition called "Water Hammer" that is symptomatic of pipes not being secured properly inside the walls.

I won't let them in to correct anything, either, because they fix everything with caulk.

Bottom line - BEWARE OF MAPLE STREET HOMES!!!!

(I wish Divosta/Pulte/Del Webb was up here!!!)

Old 10-04-2008, 07:06 PM

1,312 posts, read 4,776,915 times
My aunt purchased a new home from Ryan in the Singing Ridge development in Butler Township outside of Vandalia, Ohio. She had a lot of problems during the actual planning of the house, such as them upping the price thousands of dollars with no warning. Since moving in 3 years ago, Ryan has pulled out, the development was left unfinished, a supporting wall across the street actually collapsed, luckily on an emply lot, and she has had some serious electrical problems--half the house has power, other half doesn't...plus a lot of the finished houses are still unsold. This is all hearsay of course, but please do some research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
View detailed profiles of: