Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2010, 08:44 AM

3 posts, read 7,326 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone. My family moved to the Dayton area in October. We were pleasantly surprised by the area after hearing "horror stories" about Dayton and we love it here!

Now that we know we'll be staying long term we are planning to buy. After looking around (and reading topics here!) we've settled on Oakwood and will be starting our real estate crawl today. I am a dedicated walker and much prefer to be in a walkable community with good parks. We have 2 HS age children still at home. We also prefer character homes. So Oakwood was a perfect fit

In one of the previous topics it was mentioned that even within Oakwood there are more and less desirable areas. I would really appreciate it if people could clarify that for me, with specific street "cut offs" if possible, and at least a general boundary area.

We've moved a great deal and owned a fair number of homes and if there is one thing we have learned it is the old adage about "location location location" is 100% correct.

Thank you for any assistance you can give me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2010, 11:46 AM

296 posts, read 842,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Walk View Post
In one of the previous topics it was mentioned that even within Oakwood there are more and less desirable areas.
Well, for desirable, and assuming your criteria is walkable and family oriented, I would say look east of Far Hills Avenue. The eastern section of Oakwood would likely fit your bill. West of Far Hills becomes a little more spread out and the homes a bit more secluded and "estate like."

There are folks on here who live in Oakwood and can get you honed in a little better.

Also, I'm not sure I can identify any section of the Dayton Regions as truly walkable in the sense that say New York or Chicago are walkable. I would plan on some driving, though living close to Far Hills and Dorothy Lane will put in pretty good shape for walking to stores and such.

For grins I used WalkScore, using Dorothy Lane's Address on Far Hills Ave.:

Walk Score - Helping homebuyers, renters, and real estate agents find houses and apartments in great neighborhoods.

Best of luck!

Old 04-06-2010, 01:07 PM

12,109 posts, read 23,296,566 times
The areas along Acorn by the railroad cut are seeing more burglaries because it is a border street and the cut allows quick and unseen movement from Kettering and Dayton into the back yards of these houses. On Irving Ave. you may/will have to deal with drunk and obnoxious UD students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton