Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 06:12 AM

4 posts, read 7,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgasper View Post
on our local strengths in the areas of materials and sensors and bring researchers, PhDs and scientists to the area. Part of that project should also include funding for the Tech Corridor, a new name for Brown/Warren which will be a substantive streetscaping project and will continue the development on Brown Street toward downtown. Even Woodland Cemetery is growing and improving.

Some of the blighted area at Wayne & Wyoming will be demolished, cleaned up and landscaped so that when the economy improves, it is a shovel ready site for new development. I own a property at Wayne near Clover that will undergo a substantial renovation later this summer, and the property adjacent to it is currently underway with its new owner (someone else that lives in the neighborhood).

As for private tuition, Holy Angels accepts vouchers for kids that would otherwise go to Dayton Public School. I went to grade school there and it is a great school. Many kids in the neighborhood go there as well so your kids would be able to live near and play with schoolmates.

Good luck!
Well, everything above sounds promising, in the end, we'll just have to look and see.
I agree with two posters above,though. On the one hand, I don't want my kids riding their bikes near their home, where they should feel safe, and bumping into a homeless person because, sad as it is, many are mentally ill and you never know. On the the other hand, I don't want my kids to grow up disconnected from the real world, or feeling like they are 'better' than others, when they are just more fortunate. There was a comment on another post about someone who didn't want bus stops and unwanted people int heir city: that attitude in your neighborhood is just as scary as a homeless person in your neighborhood. It feeds intolerance, which is never good and always dangerous in its own way.
Thanks for the replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2010, 08:37 AM

116 posts, read 384,444 times
^ your concern is legitimate - my kid isn't old enough to send her out by herself on her bike; perhaps I'll feel differently when we get to that point. But I should say that when you hear of child abductions, they almost always happen in suburban or rural areas. There are some totally unstable people that look totally normal - I'm more concerned about them than homeless people!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM

18 posts, read 63,557 times
From a statistical perspective, child abduction by random strangers vanishingly unlikely, even in the worst neighborhoods and cities. Of all the dangers children face, it's far, far less likely than being harmed in car accidents, for example. Random abduction is in the vicinity of 'struck by lightning' in terms of actual occurence.

Old 04-20-2010, 08:30 PM

296 posts, read 842,407 times
If memory serves me, most abductions are perpetrated by divorced parents.

Old 04-21-2010, 06:29 AM

116 posts, read 384,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacheverell View Post
From a statistical perspective, child abduction by random strangers vanishingly unlikely, even in the worst neighborhoods and cities. Of all the dangers children face, it's far, far less likely than being harmed in car accidents, for example. Random abduction is in the vicinity of 'struck by lightning' in terms of actual occurence.
The same could probably be said about random violence in general. I'd guess that over 95% of violent crime in Dayton is between "known acquaintances" (ie drug deals and gangs) and is isolated to specific neighborhoods. The chances of an average person walking down the street downtown and becoming a violent crime victim, for instance, are probably similar to those of getting struck by lightening. The proportion of fear compared to actual odds is WAY out of wack.

Old 04-21-2010, 11:39 AM

18 posts, read 63,557 times
Quote:
I'd guess that over 95% of violent crime in Dayton is between "known acquaintances" (ie drug deals and gangs)
If you add in 'family members' and former/current romantic partners, the number would be considerably higher than 95%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Dayton