Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 07:07 PM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times

Advertisements

Peach.....

Old 07-08-2011, 12:22 AM

4,023 posts, read 5,525,022 times
I am pretty sure that I am going to handle the winter okay.....it doesn't snow a ton here...we see the Rockies from the house, but we are in a fairly flat area...(it is just that we are almost 5,000 feet high---we are on a mountain but you don't realize it)....the Chinook winds keep it fairly warm during the winter...(I was here in January 2 years ago and there was snow, but not a ton. All the main roads were as dry as S. California, but roads in developments were icy, especially at at night. We were out in the day with coats on and were fine. I DO know that we will have to remove some of the stuff in our garage though, such as paint, because it'll freeze. It's definitely going to be a change for us, GB, oh yea!)..... The Chinooks are kind of like the equivalent santa ana winds that start all the fires in S. California.....(they start elsewhere, heat up and swirl back). We have a long driveway, so that concerns me.....I have a 4wd so we should be okay. And I am not sure if the country roads will be plowed as much as the ones in town.......time will tell, I guess.

The fairly new mall in Loveland, which is a few miles south of us, is an outdoor mall....I do not know why they would build an outdoor mall in an area where it snows...to me, that is strange...

We've had a lot of thunder storms all week......some days are sunny, some start out with clouds.... I know they sometimes cause fires, kill people, etc., but I still love thunder and lightning......mother nature at her finest....... I haven't had the time to wash my car yet, so I left her out in the rain yesterday......mother nature helping me out...... Car washes here are mostly those wand places....(I have a Karcher but haven't used it here)...very few drive throughs and I haven't seen any fancy ones yet like they have at our old house but I am sure they are around......it rains here and there so I think people don't worry a whole lot about their cars here.....they just get dirty the next day..... (The wand places have almost disappeared in S. California.....there is still one in San Clemente).

We will have to buy a snow shovel and we just bought a snow blower for the driveway from a neighbor today.....he has a longer driveway than us and last year he bought some huge gizmo that goes on his vehicle, (I guess a snow plow type of thing), so he sold us the blower... What I learned by looking in this area for 2 years is that a lot of people put too much salt on the driveways, especially the rentals.....if you put too much it pits the cement.... When I bought this house in April, the former owner still had his plow thingie on the riding John Deere lawnmower...(they call riding lawnmowers 'tractors' here which makes me laugh)....and little chains on the tires, so yea, we're in for a different life.

The air is thinner here, (well, heck, I was at sea level in CA, so anyplace is thinner), so you have to drink a lot of water, pace yourself outside and use more lotion....

Old 07-08-2011, 06:28 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
GOOD MORNING!

Hope everyone has a super duper freebie day!

Old 07-08-2011, 06:33 AM

Isn't it odd Wurzig how much can change just by moving from state to state? Have you started buying winter clothes yet? I know years ago when I lived in Oklahoma, my idea of winter clothes was a couple of sweaters and a lightweight coat. I didn't have actual winter wear.

Is your daughter living with you or does she have a place elsewhere?

Old 07-08-2011, 06:34 AM

15,632 posts, read 24,416,751 times
I'm so sorry for Wurzig and Glory that you've been having rain and storms but, like Camper, I wish you'd send them this way. We are so dry here. The weatherman has been predicting 20%-30% chance of rain all this week and all next week but, so far, my area hasnt seen one drop.

And I was very interested in the info about Crystal Light having a margarita-flavored drink mix. I didnt want to ruin my party-girl reputation here but I've been mixing the Daily's drinks with Crystal Light pink lemonade all along. It's quite tasty and I can sip it all evening without getting woozy.

Old 07-08-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I'm so sorry for Wurzig and Glory that you've been having rain and storms but, like Camper, I wish you'd send them this way. We are so dry here. The weatherman has been predicting 20%-30% chance of rain all this week and all next week but, so far, my area hasnt seen one drop.

And I was very interested in the info about Crystal Light having a margarita-flavored drink mix. I didnt want to ruin my party-girl reputation here but I've been mixing the Daily's drinks with Crystal Light pink lemonade all along. It's quite tasty and I can sip it all evening without getting woozy.
I thought the whole point of drinking was to get woozy......

We are caught up on OUR rain, so I would be happy to send you the new bunch coming to day if I could. I swear if it rains like yesterday, I'll have to buck up and pay a taxi. NO WAY am I going to stand and wait for a bus in a monsoon type rain with lightning.

The kids booked it to Epcot with their friends. As I said before, rainy days at the theme parks are the bomb! Most of the rides are indoors and with the lines so low, you can ride over and over. It's always lots of fun when there aren't so many people there. The only days worth going during the summer is when it rains. The rest of the time they have 90 min lines...

Did you guys see where a big bolt of lightening hit here yesterday and skinned a tree in the same area where they found the body of Caylee Anthony? How weird was that??
Casey Anthony lightning: Lightning strikes tree near site of Caylee's remains - OrlandoSentinel.com

Old 07-08-2011, 07:12 AM

12,114 posts, read 14,991,553 times
Hey Wurzig! good to hear from you again. And may I say... we call them there ridding mowers " tractors" here too. if you want your grass cut, you gotta make a man feel like a man. Ride 'em cowboy!!!

As far as the rain goes, all we're getting here is the birds in the tress sweating. At least I think it's sweat....

Old 07-08-2011, 11:13 AM

I posted this in the HOUSE forum but thought it was interesting enough to post here, as well. I have six ceiling fans running 24/7 to keep down the cost of my a/c. Apparently each fan is costing me @ $7-8 per month, or a total of @ $40-50 per month. I could probably turn the thermostat down quite a bit for that amount.

I was checking on the cost of running ceiling fans when I came across a website that calculates the average electrical cost of just about any household appliance you might have. I found it somewhat interesting. Be sure to insert your cost per KWH:

Electrical Energy Cost Calculator

Old 07-08-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
I posted this in the HOUSE forum but thought it was interesting enough to post here, as well. I have six ceiling fans running 24/7 to keep down the cost of my a/c. Apparently each fan is costing me @ $7-8 per month, or a total of @ $40-50 per month. I could probably turn the thermostat down quite a bit for that amount.

I was checking on the cost of running ceiling fans when I came across a website that calculates the average electrical cost of just about any household appliance you might have. I found it somewhat interesting. Be sure to insert your cost per KWH:

Electrical Energy Cost Calculator
What an informative site! Why don't you post it in the Freebie forum as a Free Electrical Energy Cost Calculator? My kids have a habit of leaving laptops and TV's on....even when they leave the house. THAT...and the stupid outside light. Maybe with this site, I can prove my point.

TFW, I know a ceiling fan can keep the degrees down about 8-10 degrees in the room, but I'm not sure how low you would have to turn down the thermostat to accomplish the same thing. We keep our thermostat at 77 usually with a couple of fans running in the house. Probably not all that efficient, but I would rather pay the extra money than be hot.

Old 07-08-2011, 11:56 AM

Good idea, Glory! I'll do that in a little bit.

With my ceiling fans running at the highest speed 24/7, I can keep my thermostat at 84 degrees in the summer. I know that sounds hot -- but I have a ceiling fan in every room (and am thinking of putting small ones in the bathrooms too). Sometimes, even at 84 degrees, a room feels cold because of the breeze. If I didnt have the ceiling fans, I'd have the thermostat set to 72 or so.

I know it's more cost efficient to turn fans off when you leave a room -- but I hate going into, or even by, a room that's stuffy. So I just leave them all on 24/7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff