Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2015, 11:51 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camper1 View Post
High of 35 today!!

Figures, the last one of my daughters high school friends is moving into her first place tonight.
I think I've mentioned before that I love making " move in day baskets". It's something I learned from my mom after years of relocations with the military.

I usually start with a clothes basket and just add items like bathroom paper ,soap, a few bath towels, air freshener... Then move on to the kitchen, paper towel, paper plates, cups, plastic silverware, dish soap, left over containers.trash bags...
You get the idea. Always try to include a few snacks, a home made first aide box,some basic screwdrivers and a fun gift. Depends on how much money I have.
Well this girl has nothing!!
I'm loaning her an air mattress and some sleeping bags. Everything in life is an adventure! Going to pick up some pizza and help her move in her clothes at least.
Did I tell you it's the third floor and cold ?!!!! Brrrrr...
What a great idea, Camper. Move in baskets. I love that.

Old 02-27-2015, 12:33 PM

12,114 posts, read 15,005,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
What a great idea, Camper. Move in baskets. I love that.
Thanks. Been doing it ever since I can remember. Just a small thing to do but hope it means a lot.

I usually spend around $100 so that gives you an idea of how much I squeeze into them.

Old 02-27-2015, 03:07 PM

22,184 posts, read 14,816,733 times
Its pretty cool you do that Campster.
That is an awesome thing to do!

Old 02-27-2015, 03:49 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,435,519 times
I think the move-in baskets is a great idea too, Camper. How cool!

Old 02-27-2015, 05:01 PM

The Move-In-Basket reminds me of the housewarming party they gave me at work back in the '70s when I bought this house.

It was a "Pounding Party" and I had never heard of one before.

Everyone brought a pound of something. Nice. However, the labels were also removed from all the products. As I started using up the presents, opening the cans and boxes, over the following weeks I never knew what I was going to see.

Old 02-27-2015, 05:05 PM

Wow, Ketabcha, I'm watching the Weather Channel and they're featuring all the accidents in Dallas due to the snow and ice. What a mess! Arent you glad you're retired?!

When I wake up and it's raining or cold/dreary, I'm so thankful that I dont have to get out in it, especially because my workday started at 6:30 so I had to drive in the dark.

And what a cool idea to have a "Pounding Party"!

Old 02-27-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
Wow, Ketabcha, I'm watching the Weather Channel and they're featuring all the accidents in Dallas due to the snow and ice. What a mess! Arent you glad you're retired?!

When I wake up and it's raining or cold/dreary, I'm so thankful that I dont have to get out in it, especially because my workday started at 6:30 so I had to drive in the dark.

And what a cool idea to have a "Pounding Party"!
I know our pals in the northeast think this 3-4 inches of snow is a drop in the bucket. Yes, it is but it is also unusual in these parts. The snow has stopped and freezing rain/sleet is moving in from Weatherford (from the west) right now. I've gotten out all the quilts in case we lose power. Annie the Cat and I will still be warm. I have several lanterns and a camp stove. Yeah, I'm a pseudo-prepper because I live on a strip of land that runs from south Ft. Worth to south Dallas and we lose power a lot. It's kind of like the Bermuda Triangle of bad weather. Tornados love this area in the Spring. So, I'm prepared as much as I can be.

I just love it. I love winter. It is very messy outside. I pity anyone who has to be out in this. We were told it was coming. There are no sleds to be found in Dallas and it's hard to find firewood, too. I have a cord of mesquite outside. Every place that carries sleds (and there are not many of them) is sold out. Kids are using their mothers' yoga mats. Time for tomato soup and grilled cheese sandwiches. That's what my mother always served on snow days.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:00 PM

15,144 posts, read 27,791,000 times
I'm w/you TFW and Ketabcha - don't want snow - my "angel" snow guy didn't show up the other day and I had to shovel (and my back or kidneys or both?) are paying for it - it was only about 3" but it's a decent sized area and some I had to lift to toss away. (When you are short like me, it's not as easy I guess dealing w/the big snow shovel)? - Anyway, supposed to be pretty yucky the next couple days so I actually showered (LMAO), went to the library (needed a refill on books), got the car washed and hit a grocery store for a couple things - best part! I got home and a friend had called, called her back and her and hubs were close by at a restaurant and wanted me to meet up - spent about 2 hrs. there with them (fortunately it was a day that I had gotten myself together - other than this pain (and really hoping it's back and not kidneys - drinking too much here sometimes - it was another good day

Old 02-27-2015, 07:20 PM

If I had to shovel, Flamingo, I would probably have a stroke. That is really hard work. My driveway is sloped from the garage down to the street and there have been a few times over the years where I was worried about getting up the drive and into the garage because of ice. I spread kitty litter on the driveway and had no problem at all. I always have a lot of kitty litter because I hate to shop. So, I shop on amazon.com and order a lot of kitty litter and other more exciting items.

Old 02-27-2015, 08:56 PM

Flamingo, I admire your willingness and ability to shovel snow, regardless of how much there is. I used to shovel snow when I lived in Taunton MA but that was in the late 1970s. Nowadays I'm with Ketabcha -- I'd have either another stroke or a heart attack if I had to shovel snow. Of course, in the summer I sometimes feel as though I should be shoveling the humidity.

Anyway, Flamingo, I'm glad you had a nice dinner with your friends. I understand about being glad you had gotten yourself together that day. That's happened to me too. Hoping and praying that your pain isnt kidneys. From what I've read, passing a kidney stone is the most painful medical condition of all (second is gout, which, from my personal experience, is terribly painful).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products > Deals, Coupons, Free Stuff