Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-28-2010, 09:29 PM

1 posts, read 1,885 times

Advertisements

Tired of Jersey's bull**** property taxes. I want to move to Delaware and was told Middletown might be a good choice. I have 4 year old twins and can afford around $350,000.00 for a home. I'm looking for a predominantly white neighborhood with excellent schools. My wife has already researched schools on the internet and is less than impressed. Can anybody help? If not Middletown, where? I work in Philly and want to keep the commute to 45 minutes max. Any and all help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2010, 05:37 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,981,030 times
At your price point for a home you could buy in suburban North Wilmington/Brandywine Hundred. However, people here are going to tell you the schools aren't as good as in the Appoquinimink district that covers Middletown. If I were in your position, I would do some real research regarding the Brandywine and Red Clay school districts here in northern New Castle County before definitely ruling out North Wilmington or Hockessin (yet another possibility given your price point). I know lots of completely normal people who attended public school up here and went on to university, so please don't listen uncritically to the naysayers. You would have a shorter commute to work up here and you would have a lot more amenities and resources. Middletown would be better, however, if you don't want to be in a more highly urbanised area. However, especially out in Hockessin you would be living a thoroughly suburban life.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:29 PM

445 posts, read 1,436,229 times
Unless you are looking at So Philly, you'd be hard pressed to keep your commute at 45 min or less from anywhere in the Appo school district. Odessa (immediate Rt 1 access) to PHL airport is 45 mins/no traffic. $350k buys a lot of house in Appo, and the district is as good as it's reputation, but Center City is 1 hour in my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware