Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2010, 12:03 AM

80 posts, read 196,812 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to DE in the next year of two. I was just curious to all the new DE residents, how do you meet new friends? Is it at bars? local community events? what?

I get a bit nervous thinking about this?

I am wondering how this all works? I have never moved out of state before.
I figures we would go to the local legion? all will be fine.

My kids are grown and gone....................no school connection, etc.

Please let me know. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 07:02 AM

445 posts, read 1,436,539 times
Be the first to say hello. I have found neighbors are particular friendly in my area (MOT) of Delaware. With the influx of retirees and refugees fleeing NJ taxes you don't have to look too far to find someone else in the same situation; new to the area.

And reconsider the "no school connections". Appo school dist has a mentor program that exposes you to teachers, students and parents a like. I am sure other districts in Delaware do also. And there are all the standard volunteer opportunities out there also.

But in all my moves I have learn that people open to meeting people and willing to start the conversation will meet some pretty amazing folks. We are all contented in some amazing ways.

Example; I looked up the zip code on your profile. I a guy from IL who has a brother that lives in IN, who is married to a girl from PA, who's sister lives in the same little zip code you do!!

You'll find a lot of people with common ties, common interests and common goals. You just need to say hello first in my experience. When you come to DE send me a private message; the first cup of coffee is my treat .

Good luck.

Old 10-03-2010, 07:16 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,913,506 times
Happy....I've lived in DE all my life and all my "good" friends moved away to other states. The people I am friendly with are typically out-of-staters who have moved here and purchased homes for a better life. Since you're an out-of-stater, you shouldn't have trouble making friends.

My father's family has lived in DE since 1693-before it was even the state of DE. As someone from a VERY old DE family, I can tell you that there are some Delawareans who are not very friendly towards outsiders--particularly in southern DE. I apologize for them. But, as I stated...there are so many people in DE from other states. Try joining a club, social networking, etc. Best wishes to you!!

Old 10-09-2010, 11:26 AM

9,727 posts, read 14,273,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy393 View Post
We will be moving to DE in the next year of two. I was just curious to all the new DE residents, how do you meet new friends? Is it at bars? local community events? what?

I get a bit nervous thinking about this?
I am wondering how this all works? I have never moved out of state before.
I figures we would go to the local legion? all will be fine.
My kids are grown and gone....................no school connection, etc.
Please let me know. thanks.
I've never lived anywhere but Delaware, so your post has presented some food for thought.

My analogy - If you and your partner are introverts, you will have a problem anywhere you move. Life is what you make it. Delawareans are known for their friendliness, and striking up a conversation with anybody, in a store, restaurant or event is matter of fact for us. I have met some out-of-staters who shy away from forward Delawareans, although most are receptive.

As locals, we meet lots of newcomers at community events, such as fairs, heritage days, festivals in various towns, fire company events, music events, legions, clubs, and other gatherings. If you decide to move into an age restricted community, your friends are built right in.The majority of those buyers share a common thread and are, or were, new to the area.

We live in a small town. In addition to our grade school friends and neighbors, we have acquired many new, valued friends via this forum. Some have already moved here and are settled in, and other friends are on the way (NYJoe & Mrs. come to mind). Each is special, and it is enjoyable for us to mix old friends with new.

Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,047,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
As locals, we meet lots of newcomers at community events, such as fairs, heritage days, festivals in various towns, fire company events, music events, legions, clubs, and other gatherings. If you decide to move into an age restricted community, your friends are built right in. The majority of those buyers share a common thread and are, or were, new to the area.

We live in a small town. In addition to our grade school friends and neighbors, we have acquired many new, valued friends via this forum. Some have already moved here and are settled in, and other friends are on the way (NYJoe & Mrs. come to mind). Each is special, and it is enjoyable for us to mix old friends with new.
And I'll chime in from the other side of the picture. I'll be the newcomer when we finally get to move. I've probably made fifteen or twenty trips to Delaware in the past five years to research the area and get to know as much as I can about my new home state. I still have much to see, learn and experience. But I have to tell you that the welcoming nature of those who current live in Delaware is absolutely wonderful.

Whether it be the local restaurant, the supermarket, the cable company, local events, the beach or anywhere else we've visited in our travels through the state, we've been met with a kindness and welcoming spirit that I have not seen in many other places. I've become a participant in conversations with total strangers that within minutes evolve into exchanges like we were two old friends who've known each other for years. That rarely happens here in New York!

If you plan to make good friends and you're a reasonably normal person, you should have no problems at all.

Old 10-11-2010, 05:09 PM

80 posts, read 196,812 times
Charley, may I ask where you decided to move? and why?

I agree that this board is a HUGE information hub for me! I really love it and am so thankful for it!
Now, to quote you, If you are normal? hmmmmmmmmmmmm.....................some might debate that one!! just kidding but yes, we are normal people!

Thanks again.
Lisa

Old 10-12-2010, 04:06 AM

19,922 posts, read 11,047,583 times
My plan is to move to Champions Club in Magnolia in July 2012. So as not to bring this thread off-topic, I'll send you a more detailed answer through a direct message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware