Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2010, 03:02 PM

280 posts, read 1,135,611 times

Advertisements

I've applied for a few jobs in Dover and while waiting out the hiring process I've been checking out housing options to see what kind of place we could afford if we move there. It seems like a lot of the places that show up in my searches (3br/1.5+ba, $175k or less) are in two neighborhoods, Edge Hill and Rodney Village. Are these decent places for a young family? I know Dover is a pretty small place but are there any unsafe areas to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2010, 04:56 PM

1 posts, read 7,917 times
Rodney Village is NOT safe for families. Alot of crime in that area of Dover. You really need to be cautious because there are tons of low income properties in Dover that tend to draw in unsavory people. :-/ However, in my opinion, the further north you go, the better it seems to be.

We live in Lakeshore Village which is in north Dover right on the Smyrna line. Very nice place for familes of all ages. Its nice cause it's a little off the beaten path, but still close to everything Dover has to offer. Good luck

Old 08-23-2010, 09:28 PM

903 posts, read 3,504,761 times
When we moved to DE 3 years ago, we opted NOT to live in Dover, simply near it. Originally, we rented outside Camden/Wyoming, and have since bought a house between Camden and Felton. Personally, I like the suburbia feel of the country area we are in... near enough to the city but close to nature at the same time. I know some folks that live in Rodney Village, and it definitely has lost the community aspect of years gone by. Haven't heard of Edge Hill, so I can't comment on that neighborhood. There are several really nice, family style communities south of Dover as well; not sure if they would fall in the price range you are looking at. Real estate has really been crazy in this area, especially in the last 5 years or so.

Good luck on the job search, and keep us posted. Mary

Old 08-24-2010, 07:19 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
When we moved to DE 3 years ago, we opted NOT to live in Dover, simply near it. Originally, we rented outside Camden/Wyoming, and have since bought a house between Camden and Felton. Personally, I like the suburbia feel of the country area we are in... near enough to the city but close to nature at the same time. I know some folks that live in Rodney Village, and it definitely has lost the community aspect of years gone by. Haven't heard of Edge Hill, so I can't comment on that neighborhood. There are several really nice, family style communities south of Dover as well; not sure if they would fall in the price range you are looking at. Real estate has really been crazy in this area, especially in the last 5 years or so.

Good luck on the job search, and keep us posted. Mary
Mary - you were very wise to rent before you bought. What a find for you, such a unique property!

Movin - Edgehill is an established subdivision in the City of Dover stretching about 5-6 blocks, on the north and south sides of North Little Creek Road (East Division St.) Homes in there are pretty modestly priced, and close to everything.

Old 08-25-2010, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the feedback. If we end up moving there we would definitely rent first. Kind of have to since we'd need to sell our place here before we could buy anything there. Plus, it's a good idea to get a feel for the town before making such a big decision.

We might have to look outside of Dover to find a good place in our price range. I'm not opposed to going as far as Smyrna to the north or Harrington to the south, although I'd like to stay as close to Dover as possible.

rdlr: Is Edge Hill a fairly safe neighborhood? That would put me about as close to work as I can get, so I'd love to find a place there if it's a decent neighborhood.

Old 08-26-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovinOutWest View Post
rdlr: Is Edge Hill a fairly safe neighborhood? That would put me about as close to work as I can get, so I'd love to find a place there if it's a decent neighborhood.
MovinOutWest - I've been told by many newcomers, that "it's all relative", in regard to what you are accustomed to...i.e. small petty crimes, robberies, or worse. Since I've never lived anywhere else but Delaware, I have no way to measure that. I think you'll find small pockets of crime of various levels, wherever you go. Personally, I feel safe in 99% of the areas here, and since I'm most familiar with Kent and Sussex Counties, I'll leave it at that. Of course, be aware of your surroundings wherever you go. As always, the best way to form your own opinion is to drive through the neighborhood for a visual, and also ask questions at small convenience stores within the Edgehill area. Good Luck!

Old 03-10-2011, 11:39 AM

The hiring process has been dreadfully slow but it's finally starting to pick up again for this position I applied for last summer. So I've started looking at housing options and see a few with potential that I have questions on.

One is sort of a loop made by Old Forge Dr, Quail Hallow Dr and Hitching Post Dr. There are several low cost places listed there, is that area relatively safe?

Second, having grown up on the east coast in older homes, I really like the idea of living in an older home in the old part of town. How is the area just to the east of Wesley College? There's a great house listed on Delaware Ave that would work for my family.

Old 03-10-2011, 11:55 AM

MovinOutWest:The hiring process has been dreadfully slow but it's finally starting to pick up again for this position I applied for last summer. So I've started looking at housing options and see a few with potential that I have questions on. One is sort of a loop made by Old Forge Dr, Quail Hallow Dr and Hitching Post Dr. There are several low cost places listed there, is that area relatively safe?

That's The Hamlet in the City of Dover, consisting of single family detached homes, and townhomes. The detached homes are nice, have some age on them, but many are well maintained. The townhomes are mostly investment properties. I can't answer if it's safe or not, as there are petty crimes scattered here, there, and everywhere these days.

How is the area just to the east of Wesley College? There's a great house listed on Delaware Ave that would work for my family

That's the Olde Dover area, near Dover Central Middle School. There are some lovely homes on, and east of State Street, and that's in, or near the historic district....quite a popular area.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM

177 posts, read 686,815 times
Just don't move here.........

https://www.city-data.com/forum/delaw...awl-video.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware