Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2011, 12:47 PM

644 posts, read 1,354,042 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband is looking into a possible job in Delaware City, DE. It would be a really good job, but I know nothing about DE. I'm originally from Cali and have lived in the northern midwest and Texas. Other than a visit to D.C., I have never been anywhere else on the east coast.

I have 3 kids, one in elementary, one in middle school and one in high school. I hate to spend too much on a house, but I want to be in a nice town with great schools. I also choose not to own a car, so public trans or bikeability and walkability are important to me. I could choose to buy a car if I really needed one, but I prefer not to. What cities or towns in the area would you recommend? I have spent a lot of time doing google searches, but I prefer to hear from those who live in DE.

Thanks,

Kris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 01:10 PM

242 posts, read 534,230 times
Newark and Middletown come to mind. Newark has the public transportation, and has a downtown/Main Street. Middletown is more spread out but is booming right now and from what i've heard, it has the best school district in DE - Appoquinimink School District. I live in the middle of the two towns so am familiar with both, but don't have any kids so can't help much with the schools!

Old 05-13-2011, 08:10 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,982,359 times
You really need to come look around the area before deciding about a move. You probably can't have everything you desire in any one community within easy commuting distance to Delaware City. If you read through various threads about schools, Middletown, Newark, and New Castle County here on the DE forum you should learn quite a lot, though you also have to filter the opinions from clearer statements of fact (sometimes that's easy to do and sometimes not so easy).

Old 05-21-2011, 02:23 PM

296 posts, read 638,662 times
it is hard to find "the right place". everyone has different needs and desires on different have to have scales. i have checked websites and blogs. forums and charts and still dont know anything about the areas i'm looking to move to. visiting the areas your interested in truly is the best way to go.i want 5 acres in the middle of a large city with no crime, top notch schools, low taxes and 4 perfect seasons. for now. easy to catch large fish is a plus!

Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 PM

45 posts, read 110,173 times
I live very close to Delaware City. I love it there. It is a really neat community. Reminds me of Manteo, Roanoke Island in the Outer Banks. I love it there, people are friendly, great area, close to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware