Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2011, 07:40 PM

2 posts, read 7,596 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I are strongly considering moving to DE. Right now we live in South Jersey so it won't be a far move, but far enough.

I am a currently a Special Education Elementary school teacher, but can teach K-8 regular ed. and K-12 special ed. The district that I work in now is a great district and a very safe place. I also live in this town. My husband and I do not have children yet, but will be soon.

I have been looking at the districts in Delaware and am so confused. Jersey districts are much smaller. For example, my whole district has 7 elementary schools, three middle schools, and one huge high school (about 5,000 students). Our district is JUST our town. It seems that DE has multiple towns in one district.

If anyone could be of any help to us, I have these questions:

1- What are the best school districts in Delaware?
When I have kids, I want to already be in a good district.
1- What areas are good areas to live? Nice, middle class, safe areas.

Thank you so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 08:10 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,794,080 times
Appoquinimink School District is probably the best followed by Indian River School District.

Most of Appo's schools are in Middletown, DE which is also the fastest growing area in the state, with younger parents in their early 30s.

Indian River School District is down at the beach towns like Bethany, Ocean View, and Dagsboro. We have a resident of Ocean View on board here named beachliz who can give you great info about this area and the schools.

If you are used to a certain amount of safety with South Jersey schools, I would stay away from Christina, Brandywine, and Colonial school districts for sure. Brandywine is ok if you get a good feeder pattern.

Old 05-25-2011, 06:33 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,913,506 times
Did I hear my name mentioned? I agree with everything James420 stated. I currently live in Ocean View and I love it here. The area in which I reside is typically middle to upper middle class homes, and it's very safe. Violent crime is virtually nonexistent in my area, although theft is certainly not unheard of (but isn't that everywhere anymore?).

My son attends Indian River School District, and I am more than satisfied with his education there. I used to work for IRSD, and it's a great district. I'd still be there if they had a job available in my area(s) of certification. I currently teach science at a western Sussex County middle school. I would never live where I teach (too much crime and just not my "style"), but I do love where I work. If you are interested in learning where I work, I can message you with this information. It's very safe and pleasant to work in my school.

Lewes is also an excellent place to reside (used to live there), but you'll find there is a bit more crime due to some section 8 housing and some gang influences from the Milford/Dover area. More traffic as well. But, it not (by ANY means) an unsafe area. Lewes school district (Cape Henlopen) is another top district in Sussex County.

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:34 AM

2 posts, read 3,230 times
I think Red Clay in new Castle Coounty is still good. Attended AI Dupont waaay back before busing / redistricting; I have a niece who attends, and seems they have come back after some not great years. I believe they've been in Newsweek's national list of top high schools frequently in the last decade. This would keep you fairly close to Jersey, Philly, etc.. Plenty of good neighborhoods in NCC. Hockessin & Pike Creek Valley are stil desirable. Check out [URL="http://www.zillow.com"]www.zillow.com[/URL], get a good Realtor.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:04 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,192,148 times
Indian River covers a hugh amount of area. My son is a student in this district. We were very happy with elementary school and Sussex Central H.S. is great for him. We were not that happy with middle school. There there was a lot of gang activity. I believe it has a lot to do with the folks moving to the area and working in the poultry processing plants.

Old 05-27-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by longnecker View Post
Indian River covers a hugh amount of area. My son is a student in this district. We were very happy with elementary school and Sussex Central H.S. is great for him. We were not that happy with middle school. There there was a lot of gang activity. I believe it has a lot to do with the folks moving to the area and working in the poultry processing plants.

I would of never thought that a middle school down there had that type of problem. I guess it can be anywhere. My 11 year old is starting 6th grade this year, I think middle school can be the toughest on kids socially so I'm crossing my fingers all turns out well.

Old 05-30-2011, 11:00 PM

24 posts, read 43,632 times
If you are interested in knowing about crime in various Delaware regions, you can check out the Delaware Crime Map. Click on a specific reporting area to get more details about recent crimes.

Good luck with your research and move. We'll be relocated there ourselves (Hockessin area/Red Clay Consolidated) in the next few weeks.

Old 05-31-2011, 03:49 PM

I had always thought the first map showed crime within the past 2 years, imagine my surprise when I actually read its the past 30 days. You can click another map for the last 2 years. 2 years!! I'm afraid to look at that.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:38 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,538,351 times
Wouldn't it make more sense to see where you can get a job and then move to a good school district within commuting distance? As I'm sure you are aware, the best school districts are also going to be the ones where everyone wants to work.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware