Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 05:33 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,915,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StressedOutNYer View Post
As a possible future transplant too, thanks for the tip about the transfer taxes. :-)

On the other hand, if I wait to buy the same car in DE, I would pay no sales tax (yay) AND no transfer tax.. right? Just the fee for the license plates and state inspection.

Have I got that right?
No sales tax if you are a DE resident, even if you buy a car in Maryland (as I have). I'm not sure about the transfer tax; I've never lived anywhere but Delaware so I cannot say for sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2014, 05:40 PM

....and don't worry about the increase in crime here during the summer. Yes, there are more arrests then in the beach area, but most of it is due to people getting too rowdy while on vacation (drunk/disorderly, public urination/exposure, bar fights, DUI, drugs, some theft, etc.). It's not visitors out targeting year-round residents...typically it's tourist-on-tourist crimes. Violent crime is so rare in my area (Bethany/Ocean View) that I don't have a concern in the world here at any time of the year. I'm known to have sleepless nights and walk around my neighborhood at midnight alone....nobody cares, nobody bothers me.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:45 AM

730 posts, read 1,304,725 times
Many thanks! :-) Somehow it didn't seem entirely logical that the Huns and Visigoths might descend on the beach towns every year, LOL. I'm guessing it's kind of like the areas surrounding the Hamptons here on LI; lots of summer rentals and weekenders. I would guess the traffic is horrendous but am also guessing that residents quickly learn the shortcuts and back roads in order to avoid most of same.

I've always had a security system in every house since back in the 1970s, no matter how nice the area, anyhow. Simple precautions, such as always setting the alarm and never leaving first-floor windows open at night, go a long way.

Old 02-07-2014, 08:36 AM

Yes, traffic is pretty horrible here during the summer and I doubt I'll ever get used to it. It's awful...I'm just glad I don't work during the summer and don't have to go out every day and travel.

You shouldn't have any worries at all if you have a security system and never leave first floor windows open while you're not home or at night--should be common sense (I don't leave mine open either when I'm not home and never at night), but then these same people who leave them open 24/7 are the ones who complain when somebody helps
themselves to items in an unlocked car.

LOTS of weekenders and rentals at the beach during the summer, and most are pretty tame. We had trouble with some renters in the past (loud parties, drugs, warrants out for their arrest), but the HOA nipped that in the bud by revising the by-laws and requiring HOA approval and criminal background checks on all renters even if they are only there for a week. My advice would be (if you purchase in a development) to make sure they have a strong HOA. No HOA or a weak one in a resort area can = pain in the butt renters and weekenders.

Old 02-07-2014, 12:54 PM

730 posts, read 1,304,725 times
beachliz, thanks for the tip about the HOA and summer transients. There aren't many HOAs on Long Island (never really caught on) and I've always said I'd never live in one because of all the requirements and restrictions. It's not that I have a problem with authority (LOL) but if I wanted to, say, eliminate some windows in order to get more wall space; or eliminate the lawn in favor of beds of drought-tolerant perennials, or shrub borders; or put up a fence so that I have privacy in the backyard, etc etc and wasn't allowed to do that sort of thing, it would irk me bigtime.

I've heard some horror stories from friends who moved down to HOAs in the Carolinas and points south, about "clique-y" HOA boards who go on a power trip and start imposing ridiculous rules and even more ridiculous fees, just because they can.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:25 PM

^^I understand. Some can be very particular, like you described. Our HOA doesn't care about what you do to your lawn or if you have a fence, but they're ridiculous over other things. We asked to have a metal carport installed which would be attached to our garage, but they said no because it was metal. I mean...really?? My husband is vice president of the HOA and it was still turned down. They insisted it must be site built with shingles to match the garage. However, the new by-laws were needed. It's really sad to see how little respect some people who live elsewhere and buy homes to rent here have for the poor neighbors who have to deal with these renters. Some will rent to anything with a heartbeat. This is a problem in many beach area developments from what I understand. I suppose some need lessons on how to be a good neighbor.

Old 02-07-2014, 07:48 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times
We are pleased with our Hoa especially our board, who are very reasonable and conservative but excellent financial stewards. Thus far there have been no problems but, there are places that are off the wall with restrictions. I did my homework before determining where we were going to live.

The traffic is a topic of discussion and warning in these parts but since you live with the LIE (Long Island Expressway) you know the game better than many. Think the Thursday -Friday exodus for the Hamptons an you will understand only too well. You adjust your schedule and find the best times to do things.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 02-07-2014 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: added to it

Old 02-08-2014, 08:55 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,194,428 times
Just a comment here on the HOAs. Many years ago (seems like another life time) my wife and I bought five acres and put a mobile on it for week ends and hopefully future retirement. We had privacy and space for a hugh garden. Really nice family next store. We were separated by a thin patch of trees, Nice guy next store wanted to try raising a couple of pigs for meat, From then on there were no open windows in our home. Sometimes it is good to have rules. I would read the rules FIRST.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:32 PM

1 posts, read 901 times
Please don't move to southern Delaware. We have enough people here! 8 out of 10 people here are from VA, PA, and NJ. You moving here just adds to the overpopulation unemployment rate. Also I'm tired of hearing about older people whining about their high lot rent in PotNets. You JUST HAD to live near the water and retire here. Deal with it or go back to where you came from. The real estate market in this area makes it unbelievably hard for people with regular jobs. You either have to settle for a crappy mobile on the water that doesn't qualify for a lot of mortgages or have live in a freaking mansion and break your bank account. There is no place for the middle class here anymore. You tourists are the problem.

Last edited by Thetruthhurts302; 03-04-2015 at 07:34 PM.. Reason: genius

Old 03-05-2015, 12:45 PM

374 posts, read 518,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetruthhurts302 View Post
Please don't move to southern Delaware. We have enough people here! 8 out of 10 people here are from VA, PA, and NJ. You moving here just adds to the overpopulation unemployment rate. Also I'm tired of hearing about older people whining about their high lot rent in PotNets. You JUST HAD to live near the water and retire here. Deal with it or go back to where you came from. The real estate market in this area makes it unbelievably hard for people with regular jobs. You either have to settle for a crappy mobile on the water that doesn't qualify for a lot of mortgages or have live in a freaking mansion and break your bank account. There is no place for the middle class here anymore. You tourists are the problem.
Actually, if someone moves to Delaware, they are not a tourist! Just sayin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware