Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2012, 08:31 AM

1 posts, read 2,272 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and need some advise. Here is my story. My husband and I are in our late 20's early 30's and currently live in Northeast Philly. We are looking to rent out our current home and purchase in DE. We have our hearts set on Middletown as I have heard this would be the best place to raise a family. Let face is Philly is not it. Especially if you have a boy. We have a 10 yr old son as well as a 4yr old nephew that has recently been placed with us through foster care and we are in the process of adoption .

Here's our problem. My husband Works for comcast in Northeast Philly close to where we live and I work downtown cc in the Mortgage industry. I dont think that I would have a problem finding a job in De with all the big banks located there... BOA, ING ETC.. But if I do I would have to commute as well and I dont think this is a good idea for two parents to take such a long commute with young children.

Can someone tell me other nice areas that we could possibly look into that would give us that Middletown famly feel. My son is very active is sports so thats a factor as well. You name he has done it!

We are looking in the price range of 130-220's. is this something we can do or should we just forget it all together. I've never lived anywhere but Philly as this is all I know, But I am willing to step outside my comfort zone, so that my children will be safe and raise them somewhere where people have the same values as we do.

Any info would help. Thanks in advance signed
Desperate confused Mom!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2012, 10:16 AM

677 posts, read 933,604 times
Bear is a nice area, certainly closer than Middletown but to be honest no matter what your values are doesn't mean you're going to find neighborhoods or people with the same mindset. The only attraction to Middletown is it's basically new construction but does that mean people have the same values as you, certainly not.

Then there's the price range you're looking for. There's nothing you'd find attractive as far as a single family home on that scale, maybe a townhome that's new or faily new but even they are in the $200 plus range, older single family homes that need major renovations might be slightly below $200,000. Have tried calling a Delaware realtor to see what they suggest?

Old 10-03-2012, 10:48 AM

6 posts, read 7,820 times
m9, I once lived in the Horsham area of Pennsylvania and worked in the card division of B Of A. At one time I was considering a move to Newark, DE. There is a very large B of A campus located there on, Paper Mill Rd I believe. I didn't make the move but loved the area. I did a quick search at Re/Max and saw several homes for sale in your price range. They aren't new construction but may be something worth looking into. best of luck.

Old 10-03-2012, 11:38 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,862,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m9w3h6 View Post
Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and need some advise. Here is my story. My husband and I are in our late 20's early 30's and currently live in Northeast Philly. We are looking to rent out our current home and purchase in DE. We have our hearts set on Middletown as I have heard this would be the best place to raise a family. Let face is Philly is not it. Especially if you have a boy. We have a 10 yr old son as well as a 4yr old nephew that has recently been placed with us through foster care and we are in the process of adoption .

Here's our problem. My husband Works for comcast in Northeast Philly close to where we live and I work downtown cc in the Mortgage industry. I dont think that I would have a problem finding a job in De with all the big banks located there... BOA, ING ETC.. But if I do I would have to commute as well and I dont think this is a good idea for two parents to take such a long commute with young children.

Can someone tell me other nice areas that we could possibly look into that would give us that Middletown famly feel. My son is very active is sports so thats a factor as well. You name he has done it!

We are looking in the price range of 130-220's. is this something we can do or should we just forget it all together. I've never lived anywhere but Philly as this is all I know, But I am willing to step outside my comfort zone, so that my children will be safe and raise them somewhere where people have the same values as we do.

Any info would help. Thanks in advance signed
Desperate confused Mom!
Why stay on the east Coast? Omaha and Lincoln, Nebraska have many financial and insurance companies that are always looking for good people. Your husband could probably find work in his field also. The environment for a family would be a lot better here than the East Coast.

GL2

Old 10-03-2012, 02:24 PM

201 posts, read 414,226 times
Wow, hyperbole much in the subject line? I thought you were going to say you were looking for something near the DuPont children's hospital and was confused because there's such a good children's hospital in Philly.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:16 AM

148 posts, read 276,852 times
Yeah... the subject is a little misleading. I was expecting a drug addict situation.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:19 PM

890 posts, read 1,649,075 times
Well if you want to work with b of a their mortgage division is in Wilmington so maybe you could apply for something there. But they have 2 locations in Newark as well. That's a low price range however, at least for a single family home. Maybe you could rent before you decide what to buy or look into foreclosures?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware