Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Delaware a Northeastern State?
Yes, Delaware is a northeastern state 95 56.89%
No, Delaware is not a northeastern state 72 43.11%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2022, 08:58 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times

Advertisements

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti..._Delaware.html

The Mason-Dixon Line, in Marydel, (Kent County) Delaware and Marydel (Caroline County) Maryland
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2022, 10:52 AM

3,063 posts, read 2,045,569 times
I am a native Delawarean and my husband is too. My fathers side has been in Sussex County Delaware (southernmost of the three counties) since arriving on the Jamestown boat. Husbands side came over from Maryland in the 1600's to Kent County Delaware and a few are from Sussex County DE.

Northern Delaware is very different from the southern parts but southern Delaware is neither "south" or "north." Food cooked by grandmother was probably more rural English than anything else. Southern Delaware had farms and some slavery, northern Delaware had manufacturing and little slavery so in Civil War men went to the side that their money favored. My southern Delaware ancestors sided with the north as did husbands family. He had an ancestor that President Lincoln asked to get Delaware to agree to gradual phasing out of slavery by paying slave owners to free slaves. That attempt lost by one vote in Delaware legislature and the Civil War happened.

The accent is not "southern" in southern Delaware and nowadays can only be heard by going to the MD/DE line into small stores. I have many relatives buried in Burrsville on the state line. I'd call the accent "Tidewater."

Most of the new people in Delaware come from the north to save on taxes so it's becoming more of a northern state over time. We don't live in DE now but am glad to be called a Delawarean.

Old 11-21-2022, 02:42 PM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
^ Great Post!
I'm a native of Delaware, also. In our town (Kent County), we have homes having the original Underground Railroads for the Slaves to travel to freedom.

Old 11-22-2022, 12:10 PM

3,063 posts, read 2,045,569 times
Here's an interesting thing about southern Delaware, comparing it to Maryland side-by-side in that area:

The plantation that Frederick Douglass was born on and ran away from was less than 20 miles from my Delaware ancestors small farms. That part of Maryland had several slave plantations and was definitely southern-minded in the Civil War. Delaware was not pro-South in that same area, much more an individual decision.

Old 12-16-2022, 06:09 PM

327 posts, read 223,816 times
During a recent trip to Delaware, I observed that there are relatively few churches in the state compared to other Southern states. Furthermore, the churches I did observe in Delaware were certainly not Baptist or Pentacostal by affiliation/orientation. However, religion is not the only barometer of culture.

Generally, people in Delaware drive, speak and walk more slowly than people in other Northeastern states.

Additionally, hunting and recreational shooting seem significantly more popular in Delaware compared to other coastal states further north, such as Connecticut, Massachusetts and New Jersey, for example.

I did occasionally hear locals use the term "y'all," and there is a Harris Teeter store in or near Selbyville.

From an ecological standpoint, the foliage of southern Delaware is surprisingly reminiscent of the Southern United States, complete with loblolly pine and bald cypress trees.

However, Delaware is firmly located in the northeastern quadrant of the United States, from a geographical standpoint. Therefore, I was compelled to vote that Delaware *IS* a Northeastern state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware