Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 03:06 PM

8 posts, read 16,164 times

Advertisements

Good Evening:
My wife & I just returned 5 days ago from visiting Delaware - we are both retired pensioners - looking
for a "house" to purchase in the Georgetown area. I have a few questions:
1. What is the average real estate tax bill in Georgetown for 2014 / 2015 on a $250,000 house ?
2. What does it cost per year to register a car in DE ?
3. Are transfers people really happy in DE ?
4. What are the biggest drawbacks living in DE ?
5. Honestly - we enjoyed ourselves for 5 days in DE - but reality we need to access the whole picture
before moving to DE - your answers will guide our final decision to move within 24 months
6. Thank you in advance for your thoughts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2014, 04:49 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,580,897 times
The first thing you want to consider is will your pension be taxable in DE? Social Security is not taxable in DE, but, after the first $12,500 DE does tax pensions, IRA and 401K withdrawals each year. This often comes as a shock to those who have pensions that are not taxed in the state in which they presently reside.

My guesstimate regarding real estate taxes in Sussex county for $250K home will probably be around $1k per year. (That is school and county taxes combined.) You can verify this by looking at houses for sale,because, the listings often include listing the property taxes. Once you have lived in DE for 3 years and you are over 65, you can claim a 50% discount on the school tax portion up to $500.

When you first move to DE you pay I believe it is 3.75% of the value of the car. So if the car has a book value of $10K you would pay $375. ( It might be 3.25%. You can check the DMV web site for the exact percentage.) That is part of the process to re title your car in DE. The registration fee to register it for 2 years was $40 when I moved to DE a few months ago. A new DE license (good for 8 years) was also $40.

I am very happy to have retired and moved to DE.

The biggest drawback of a retiree living in Sussex County would be how to get around when you can no longer drive. The regular bus service is very limited. DART Para-transit services are limited. If you have family nearby that you can call upon it may not be an issue, but, do think long term and assume at some point you may not be able to drive. My rule of thumb is that if the doctor/grocery store/ pharmacy is within 5 miles I can always find a neighbor to drive me. Anything over 5 miles - it would be difficult- especially if I needed on going help getting around for an extended period of time.

Mary2014

Old 10-02-2014, 08:24 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,221,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post

The biggest drawback of a retiree living in Sussex County would be how to get around when you can no longer drive. The regular bus service is very limited. DART Para-transit services are limited. If you have family nearby that you can call upon it may not be an issue, but, do think long term and assume at some point you may not be able to drive. My rule of thumb is that if the doctor/grocery store/ pharmacy is within 5 miles I can always find a neighbor to drive me. Anything over 5 miles - it would be difficult- especially if I needed on going help getting around for an extended period of time.

Mary2014
Excellent point here. There is very little public transportation available in Sussex County. I would seriously suggest that you visit the area during different times of the year.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:03 AM

To Mary 14 and Longnecker:

Thank you for responding to my questions - Yes transportation would come in to play probably in about 10 years for us -
as we all know - something could develop sooner than we all think - we are praying for 10 more good years together.

My wife and I just celebrated 18 years of marriage, by visiting Delaware from top of state to bottom. We currently live
6 hour drive away in Western Massachusetts [ known as Taxachusetts ] Tax on everything !

For 5 days we enjoyed Dover to Ocean City, MD - stayed at the Comfort Inn in Georgetown, travelled all over by day.
Ate at Jake's Seafood, Cracker Barrel, Panera Bread and ate big breakfast in the morning at Comfort Inn. We actually went swimming in the ocean too - warm day on Sept 22nd -- love every minute of our 5 day vacation.......checked out
a few free standing homes - don't want any condo's or town houses or apartments. Home would be free and clear of any fees for land rental etc.

Currently in a 24 month trans mode -- selling our home here will take awhile - we aren't going to give it away - we
both worked Very Hard over the years - just like everyone else has to acquire a home and move to another home to
enjoy our retirement years.

Many thanks ladies for your advice,

duke14

Old 10-02-2014, 01:14 PM

Just wanted to point out taxes on properties within incorporated town limits will be higher than those outside town limits with the same zip code.

Old 10-02-2014, 06:20 PM

9,786 posts, read 14,360,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary2014 View Post
My guesstimate regarding real estate taxes in Sussex county for $250K home will probably be around $1k per year. (That is school and county taxes combined.) You can verify this by looking at houses for sale,because, the listings often include listing the property taxes. Mary2014
Not a good method, I'm sorry to say. This falls in with my everyday work. Real estate taxes are based on Assessed Values, depending upon what school district you live in. There's more than one school district in Sussex County. Taxes may also vary, sometimes by quite a bit, depending upon various amenities a property has. What a property lists or sells for is not a good indicator. As Longacre said, one must also factor in city/town taxes, if applicable. Rates in this link are per $100 of assessed value (not appraised value)
https://www.sussexcountyde.gov/susse...y-annual-rates

Old 10-04-2014, 06:17 AM

Good Morning to You All:

Been reading several posts going back to 2009 to present about building in DE. Some pretty good opinions were
shared by many. Transportation and Family would play BIG if we decided to move from MA to DE. Our family lives
in CT - Yes they would love to visit for one or two weeks - but moving in with us longer would be a bit stressful. We All
have to realize at some point in future time - we can no longer function our bodies - will need a helping hand - transportation to the medical offices would come in Very Handy from a Supporting Neighbor.

I presently own and run a odd job service here in MA called "Eager Too Help" have roughly 35 clients per year. Most of
my work is outside doing things that lawn mowers "Don't Do" - like weeding and cleaning out dead branches. My clients
pay me pretty well for getting my "Hands Dirty" - I would continue doing this in DE, as I already have a legal business,
and a Federal ID #, in which I pay taxes on my earnings.

We, my wife & I, understand NO Sales Tax, NO Tax on SS, 1st 12,500 Not Tax on IRA's per person, Less Snow - But in
reality - other things do cost more in DE than in MA - such as Health Ins., HOA fees, Auto Ins, Home Ins, Flood Ins, etc.

We are still looking for a "Free Standing Home" about 15 years old selling for around $200,000 with one acre of land in DE.

We currently live in a Log Home we built 14 years ago in MA on two acres, on a street with 40 homes, in a small town,
with 1500 people. We pay real estate taxes $5200 a year, electric $55, phone $45, TV & Internet $84, Health Ins $106,
Home Owners $608 a year, Auto Ins for two cars $1200 a year, Dump Fee $35 a year plus $1.00 per 33 gallon bag.

We like $410,000 for our house here in MA - but the area doesn't have too many people who want to pay the price for a
well built house - after the 2008 market crash - They probably offer me $325,000.

So in reality it would be best if my wife & I stayed here in MA and Rent a hotel for a month of September near the beach
to fulfill our beach dreams and warmer weather and then maybe again in April for a month. It may seem funny to do this, but in all reality, money spent on the Selling, Buying, Moving etc, would NOT be Practical for us at 70 years old. We both worked "VERY HARD" for our little money we saved to build our log home and "Living Expenses" will never go
down to matter where we live - so let us enjoy our short time left here on earth "Our Way" and hopefully we can talk with you all at Jake's Seafood on RT1 someday soon.

All your Comments are Appreciated Both PRO & CON !!

Thank you,
duke14

Old 10-04-2014, 08:48 AM

8,661 posts, read 9,194,518 times
My wife and I are considering South Delaware to retire also. We live in the DC area, been visiting Delaware our entire lives. We have been married for 30 years, however we are in our late fifties. My wife is on medicare and SSDI--me--computer graphics. We did sell our home, paid off all medical debts, and are also considering a home around 200-250 grand.

duke14, I assumed car insurance was higher in the NE. I've heard car insurance at our age is cheaper in Delaware but perhaps not? Also, I will need to acquire health insurance but you stated it's higher in Delaware? Delaware participates in the ACA (Affordable Care Act) here in northern VA it does not. Mass. has its own version of this bill. How did you come to the conclusion coverage is higher in Delaware? Thanks for your response.

Old 10-04-2014, 10:38 PM

duke 14....While we may have some nice days in April I would not spend a lot of money on a hotel for a month long vacation. September prices even after Labor Day are still expensive.

Old 10-05-2014, 06:21 AM

Good Morning All:

Had to get up this morning at 4am to start up my Pellet Stove, as we have two dear friends staying with us from FL.
Temps got down to around 30 degrees last night, after a Very Soaking rain all day Saturday. We don't usually turn on our heat until November 1st - but since the FL folks came in short sleeves shirts - after we warned them of much cooler temps here - burning wood pellets a little early for us mountain folks. We are about 900 feet higher than the city below.

I must admit walking the dog this morning at 6am was in need of my jean jacket - haven't remembered such cool weather in early October in a long time - usually after Columbus day - we tend to put on a sweat shirt - we have both a pellet stove and wood stove - if we loose electric burn wood - Minus temps burn pellets two 40 lbs bags per 24hr - cost $10. plus electric - burn Very Dry Oak wood for 24hrs - hardly any cost - wood off my land - Only loss is sleep - up every 4 hrs to add more wood into stove.

My wife & I are very accustomed to roughing it when we L-O-O-S-E power - we can sleep by the wood stove - make
coffee, cook eggs, toast - wash up with warm water - drink bottle water - must then use the "Out House" - otherwise
we can go for about 5 days without missing electric power - NO we aren't like Davy Crockett - but we stay warm & eat OK - bottom line - we can exist fine - whereas city folks need to go to shelters.

I'm in the early stages of reading many blogs and real estate listing thru out DE - little confusing at times - but making a
list of things people tell us - we are the ones that must filter out the best ideas - do more fact findings - before we are going to up root our lives - to make a move to a warmer climate ? or at least less snow !!

I like to hear from people who are actually living in their Own House - Not connected to any HOA fees - need to know EXACTLY your real estate taxes, home owners insurance, water fees, phone, electric, sewer, tv, internet, and what TOWN you live in.

My wife and I enjoy walking the beach and the water - walking trails with the dog, riding to different towns for a day visit to see what really makes their "town special" we document places so we can go back to enjoy those "special moments"

We visited the chamber at Reboboth Beach - chatted with a very nice lady on duty - she pointed out many places for us to see in our 5 day visit. Brought home some great flyers and newspapers to read in front of our wood stove this Winter
as it snowing - we usually have around 5 feet of snow on a normal Winter.

So DE home owners in their actual 1500 sq ft homes or more waiting to hear from you.

Sun is now shinning - need to shut off my pellet stove as our guests are sipping their morning coffee - smell bacon & ham cooking with eggs - must sign off for now - -

duke14
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware