Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2008, 06:18 PM

168 posts, read 672,382 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
If you are trying to deter people from moving to Delaware, it might work!
Im not trying to deter anything, just stating facts that are readily available. Anyone with basic math skills can see that the job market and real estate markets here are WAAAYYY out of wack. Generally low wages and high real estate prices dont work well together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2008, 07:56 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,672,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oncesir View Post
Im not trying to deter anything, just stating facts that are readily available. Anyone with basic math skills can see that the job market and real estate markets here are WAAAYYY out of wack. Generally low wages and high real estate prices dont work well together.
The job and real estate market is WAAAY out of wack all over not just in DE.

Hopefully with the up coming elections we will have a leader that will focus on caring for the American people and not an oil well.
Every state is in trouble and people in EVERY state are loosing their jobs and homes.
I know this is happening and I will not let comments about painting DE as the only state that has forclosures, no jobs and low wages slide without offering some defense of truth.
What is happening in DE is
HAPPENING ALL ALL OVER THE U S OF A.

Last edited by elizamary; 01-06-2008 at 08:05 AM..

Old 01-06-2008, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elizamary View Post
The job and real estate market is WAAAY out of wack all over not just in DE.
I wasnt targeting DE but more so Delmarva. Wilmington has jobs that are much more substantial than what is available here on the shore. Housing here is approaching "big city" prices yet the job market is nill. There are no credit card companies/large banks/large industry on the shore yet the real estate prices would suggest that these jobs exist in large numbers. I prefer the northern parts of DE since slower lower describes more than just the lifestyle.

Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oncesir View Post
I wasnt targeting DE but more so Delmarva. Wilmington has jobs that are much more substantial than what is available here on the shore. Housing here is approaching "big city" prices yet the job market is nill. There are no credit card companies/large banks/large industry on the shore yet the real estate prices would suggest that these jobs exist in large numbers. I prefer the northern parts of DE since slower lower describes more than just the lifestyle.
You can prefer what you want. I was just stating the economy is not just a DE problem.
Central and southern De was mainly farmland and beach resorts for vacationing and fun.
Obviously, many tourist come here in the summer. Even now there are people walking up and down rehobeth and it is winter.
There are great parks and recreation central and southern DE.
For a job that pays big, it would be hard to find a postion central and southern but not impossible.
You are correct in saying wilmington has a load of jobs. Probably New castle and Newark as well.
Dover does have a huge industrial park with quite a few companies. Plus loads of state jobs.
Depends on your particular situation, needs and wants.

Personally, If I was looking for a job, I would not settle central or southern unless I already had a job then I would move.
I always worked 10 mins from my job and would not appreciate traveling an hour.
But
I am retired and enjoying the no sales tax and low taxes de has to offer.

Old 01-06-2008, 12:46 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
As always, different strokes for different folks! And, we all have options.....move elsewhere if we don't like it here. I was born and raised here, Thank God! I travel the state from Wilmington to Delmar (including Seaford-Laurel) on almost a daily basis. I enjoy these small towns. I enjoy being able to get around without log jams of traffic, a less than 30 minute ride to the bay, and 40 minute ride to the ocean. I enjoy the bay/ocean, the boardwalks in Rehoboth-Bethany Beach, pubs sprinkled from Dover to Fenwick Island, Bowers Beach fishing community and watching the little boats cross the canal from South Bowers to North Bowers to see the local band and eat crabs, that great flea market open weekends south of Greenwood, farm auctions, Amish baked goods, yard sales, Punkin' Chunkin', Apple Scrapple Festival and other nonsense things. I enjoy slower-lower, local attitudes and people who talk to you in the grocery line. I enjoy Spence's Bazaar to pick up various things (that I don't need), then I enjoy driving up Rt. 1 for a pretty pleasant drive to Philly (until I hit traffic) taking about 1 hour 30 minutes. I enjoy traveling to New York and a broadway show (when I feel like it) in little more than 2 hours. Washington D.C. is about 2 hours away, and if I yearn for the best-of-the-best traffic snarls, I can enjoy myself there, riding round and round on the beltway, trying to get off....somewhere....anywhere. Many, around here, commute to Wilmington/Philadelphia/New Jersey for higher paying jobs. A doctor I know, lives in Lewes, Delaware, commutes to a Wilmington hospital every day, and returns his patient's calls on the way home from his car. When he finishes his last call, he is home on the Delaware Bay. Bay Health Medical Center (Kent General Hospital) has a state-of-the-art cardiac unit, and was inspired and set up by 1st rate doctors practicing in Jefferson Hospital - Philadelphia. They moved here to get away from the rat race, and that sure has benefited us. So, whine, complain, bad mouth or rave about Delaware. We all have opinions, and they are all welcome! Statistics regarding crime rates are just that, and are all relative. Delaware is about 97 miles long, and between 9 and 47 miles wide at the widest point. Run the stats, visit, and see for yourself.

Old 01-06-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delly View Post
As always, different strokes for different folks! And, we all have options.....move elsewhere if we don't like it here. I was born and raised here, Thank God! I travel the state from Wilmington to Delmar (including Seaford-Laurel) on almost a daily basis. I enjoy these small towns. I enjoy being able to get around without log jams of traffic, a less than 30 minute ride to the bay, and 40 minute ride to the ocean. I enjoy the bay/ocean, the boardwalks in Rehoboth-Bethany Beach, pubs sprinkled from Dover to Fenwick Island, Bowers Beach fishing community and watching the little boats cross the canal from South Bowers to North Bowers to see the local band and eat crabs, that great flea market open weekends south of Greenwood, farm auctions, Amish baked goods, yard sales, Punkin' Chunkin', Apple Scrapple Festival and other nonsense things. I enjoy slower-lower, local attitudes and people who talk to you in the grocery line. I enjoy Spence's Bazaar to pick up various things (that I don't need), then I enjoy driving up Rt. 1 for a pretty pleasant drive to Philly (until I hit traffic) taking about 1 hour 30 minutes. I enjoy traveling to New York and a broadway show (when I feel like it) in little more than 2 hours. Washington D.C. is about 2 hours away, and if I yearn for the best-of-the-best traffic snarls, I can enjoy myself there, riding round and round on the beltway, trying to get off....somewhere....anywhere. Many, around here, commute to Wilmington/Philadelphia/New Jersey for higher paying jobs. A doctor I know, lives in Lewes, Delaware, commutes to a Wilmington hospital every day, and returns his patient's calls on the way home from his car. When he finishes his last call, he is home on the Delaware Bay. Bay Health Medical Center (Kent General Hospital) has a state-of-the-art cardiac unit, and was inspired and set up by 1st rate doctors practicing in Jefferson Hospital - Philadelphia. They moved here to get away from the rat race, and that sure has benefited us. So, whine, complain, bad mouth or rave about Delaware. We all have opinions, and they are all welcome! Statistics regarding crime rates are just that, and are all relative. Delaware is about 97 miles long, and between 9 and 47 miles wide at the widest point. Run the stats, visit, and see for yourself.

Hi Delly,
You are so right and everyone has the right to their opinion.
Rave or complain......we all have that right.
Just like I feel when I hear someone say DE has a high unemployement rate and a ton of foreclosures, I feel I have the right to remind everyone this is not just a DE problem
this is a nationwide problem.

We do all have different points, needs and wants and have the right to express themselves just like I did right now.

Also, I agree, If you are considering relocating to "anywhere" go and see for yourself.
One place may be one mans eutopia and another may find it hell on earth

Old 01-07-2008, 12:01 AM

20 posts, read 95,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMTAD View Post
Seaford, Delaware (DE) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

The population in Seaford is only 7,000. I think the reason why these Delaware towns show so high is because the population is so small, so any crime is magnified.

Morgan-Quitno publishes the major crime statistical report in the country. They only include cities/towns that have a population of more than 75,000. I think I now understand why. The small towns are too skewed and I don't believe the stats are valid. I think this not only for Delaware, but for all small towns around the country. (Just my opinion)

Charley
That is correct its called per capita if you look up most dangerous cities New York is not one due to their high population when infact they had 500 murders in 2007. So if a car gets broken into a City of 1,000 people that would make crime jump almost off the chart.

Old 01-07-2008, 05:45 AM

10 posts, read 45,625 times
oncesir You're obviously not from DE. It's the beach, not the shore. I'm assuming you're from Jersey.

To the OP, I have lived in Milford almost all of my life and can't remember one murder or large crime. Seaford is the same.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMODAndrea View Post
oncesir You're obviously not from DE. It's the beach, not the shore. I'm assuming you're from Jersey.

To the OP, I have lived in Milford almost all of my life and can't remember one murder or large crime. Seaford is the same.
sometimes we have delaware bashers that are just interested in bashing de.
I'm not saying this person is but in the past, I ahve come across a few.

Old 01-07-2008, 08:29 PM

No Im not from Jersey. Nowhere did I bash DE. I stated that I preferred northern DE over the slower lower area. Many of my statements were easily retrievable stats that I googled. Its what I prefer mixed in with a few well known facts. I really dont see whats wrong with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware