Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2014, 03:20 AM

9,742 posts, read 14,300,385 times

Advertisements

Having been born and raised in Delaware, I, and those who've been here as long as I have and longer, still celebrate our First State on December 7th. Every year, although our group is getting smaller and smaller, we pay tribute to Delaware, by preparing and sharing Delaware type foods, do a walking tour of The Green, and visit the Golden Fleece Tavern where Delaware officially became the First State to ratify the Constitution. That building is now an art venue, with one portion of it now selling Delaware products (corner of The Green and State Street). This building is not to be confused with the "new" Golden Fleece Tavern on Loockerman Street.

Sad, that Delaware traditions have fallen by the wayside, as we old Delawareans die off. .
State of Delaware - Delaware Day - About Delaware Day

Last edited by rdlr; 12-07-2014 at 03:30 AM.. Reason: Added Link
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2014, 04:43 AM

22,632 posts, read 14,972,497 times
For this Philadelphian, celebrating Delaware means making a trip to Total Wine on Naaman's Road in Claymont.

Old 12-07-2014, 07:48 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,921,017 times
Don't worry, rdlr....this middle-aged Delawarean is still here

Old 12-07-2014, 08:39 AM

13,064 posts, read 18,182,824 times
Happy "DE" Day to all of you especially because your helpfulness on this board was one of the reasons our decision to move here was so easy. Enjoy.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:56 AM

405 posts, read 677,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Don't worry, rdlr....this middle-aged Delawarean is still here
Another middle-aged native here. Born in Beebe hospital when there was only one building there.

Old 12-08-2014, 05:14 AM

9,742 posts, read 14,300,385 times
Yeah, for Middle Agers! and.....nuts2uiam!

Old 12-08-2014, 03:21 PM

Will put that on my punch list for next year, it sounds like fun.

DH and I did the Lewes Historical Society home tours this past Saturday. We were at it all day long but only missed two on the tour. One we peeked into and it had a more art gallery feel and so we decided that the sky looked really threatening and the line was too long, and we still had one more to go. We then set out for the last one on the list and the line was so long we would have a twenty minute wait, at least, but we decided to wait until it started to rain so we decided to call it a day.

The homes were beautifully done, although in a few cases, I felt they were more dept. store looking than a family home. Regardless, they were beautiful.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:19 PM

374 posts, read 519,039 times
rdlr, the Delaware Day sounds intriguing, thanks for pointing it out. Here in Chicagoland we celebrate Illinois Day everyday by paying high sales taxes to our beloved bankrupt state. Other than that, have never heard of a "state day" celebration before (other than centennials, etc.) so think it is a cool idea for Delaware.

nuts, thanks for the Lewes home tours info. We will definitely put it on our To Do list for next year when we will (hopefully) be full time residents. That is, if I can pull my wife away from HGTV for an afternoon!

Old 12-10-2014, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post
rdlr, the Delaware Day sounds intriguing, thanks for pointing it out. Here in Chicagoland we celebrate Illinois Day everyday by paying high sales taxes to our beloved bankrupt state. Other than that, have never heard of a "state day" celebration before (other than centennials, etc.) so think it is a cool idea for Delaware.

nuts, thanks for the Lewes home tours info. We will definitely put it on our To Do list for next year when we will (hopefully) be full time residents. That is, if I can pull my wife away from HGTV for an afternoon!
The home tour is HGTV on steroids mixed with a nice dose of history. Highly encourage one and all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: