Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 12:18 AM

10 posts, read 10,314 times

Advertisements

Front porch ceiling fans, what are they good for? We have never even seen a ceiling fan on a front porch before coming to Delaware. Our builder asked if we wanted a ceiling fan on the front porch. Since that eye opening moment, we have seen several front porch ceiling fans as we traveled around the Dover area. Neither one of us has had any experience with a front porch ceiling fan. Since we are blank to its use we can not envision how an out of doors ceiling fan could possibly cool an outdoor area like a front porch. We didn't like the idea of knocking on doors and asking,"Why do you have a ceiling fan on your front porch?" So, we figured we wouldn't appear to be complete idiots if we asked the forum. What's the purpose of a ceiling fan on a front porch?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2014, 07:27 AM

8,635 posts, read 9,147,998 times
Summer months when the air is still, very hot and humid, the porch fan will provide a little relief. Also, by stirring the air it helps control flying pests (flies-mosquitos) from swarming around you.

Old 12-20-2014, 08:23 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,194,428 times
Interesting question..It could create a breeze. I have never seen a porch fan.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:22 AM

10 posts, read 10,314 times
Thanks jmKing and Longnecker, we, my family and I Had never seen one either. That's why I think my question may sound strange to Delawarians. A new fad may be in the makings. Maybe someone knows the who what when of front porch ceiling fans.

Old 12-20-2014, 11:20 PM

374 posts, read 518,064 times
Our recently purchased townhome in Lewes interestingly came with no inside ceiling fans (we will probably install some), but did have a ceiling fan on our outdoor screened-in back porch.

The aforementioned theories about creating a breeze on still nights and making it difficult for mosquitoes to fly make sense (although I'm hoping not too many mosquitoes penetrate the screens!). However, I will admit that I never turned it on this past summer even though I spent many an enjoyable evening on the porch. Never seemed hot/humid enough to warrant it, and never bothered by bugs.

Maybe just lucky so far!

Old 12-21-2014, 06:28 AM

32,952 posts, read 36,412,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDG14 View Post
Thanks jmKing and Longnecker, we, my family and I Had never seen one either. That's why I think my question may sound strange to Delawarians. A new fad may be in the makings. Maybe someone knows the who what when of front porch ceiling fans.

The first time I saw a ceiling fan on a porch was in North Carolina in 1990. A friend built a house and had two installed on the back porch. I've seen then in other places, but most often on screened porches.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:04 PM

4,726 posts, read 11,986,435 times
Up here in northern New Castle County I looked at a house on the market that had a gazebo
in the yard, equipped with 2 ceiling fans! It was not a new installation and I am sure the fans were at least 20
years old.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:00 PM

274 posts, read 354,120 times
They're for moving still, hot air - to get a breeze - the same function they serve indoors when there is no A/C.

Old 12-23-2014, 01:26 AM

405 posts, read 676,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moon2 View Post
They're for moving still, hot air - to get a breeze - the same function they serve indoors when there is no A/C.
Bingo!

Old 12-23-2014, 02:45 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,875,869 times
We currently live in SC and we have a fan on our back porch and love it. It really helps to move the air around when we are sitting out there. We will be moving to DE in May and are having 2 fans put in our screened in back porch as well. I would assume that if there is any place to sit on the front porch they would serve the same purpose.

We had fans inside our house in PA and now in SC and are putting them in almost every room in DE. They help to keep the electric bill down in summer and help to move the heat down from the ceiling in the winter. We wouldn't be without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware