Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 11:54 PM

74 posts, read 119,888 times

Advertisements

I was born in 1992 and have been traveling to Rehoboth every summer of my whole life. When I was a little toddler, I went to the Rehoboth Mall while me and my family were there. I loved that place so much. I especially loved the flooring which was black and white squares that looked like a chessboard back then. Now, that mall is in awful shape and it makes me sad. They even changed the flooring. Also, I remember that the mall had another wing which led into a Superfresh before they shuttered that wing and the Superfresh and put a movie theater and Walmart in its place. I noticed that someone said that the movie theater was built there in 1994, but I swear I remember around 1995, walking down the now defunct wing into the Superfresh. Also, please correct me on this, but my guess would be that they got rid of the chessboard floor around the same time they put the movie theater in, and like I said, I remember the chessboard type floor very well. Does anyone remember the Rehoboth Mall in its triumph days?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2015, 07:46 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
I do! Lived here all of my forty years. I LOVED it when that mall first opened. I was a teenager, and my mom would take me, my sister, and some of our friends there on weekends. There was a place called "Reho Fries" that had THE best fries, hands down. I also remember when I was about 15 and the Chippendale dancers paid a visit to the mall for publicity/photo ops. I had my picture taken sitting on their laps, LOL! Mom even bought me a Chippendales tank top which I had autographed...and still have .

There used to be a really great pet store there back when I was a teen as well. I had a tropical fish hobby back then and was always buying fish there. It was the closest pet store to us (we lived in Oak Orchard). There were very few stores in the Oak Orchard area back then--just a gas station and a liquor store, not all built up like it is now. Going to the mall was a big deal to us--finally, civilization!

Later years: I worked at Peebles in 1995 and had lunch in the food court every day. They always had good food there. Sadly, the mall was going downhill then. I thought it would pick back up after they opened the movie theaters. I really took advantage of those theaters with their cheap prices. It sure beats paying all that money at Midway.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:35 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
While shopping at Peebles recently I stepped out the back entrance into the Mall .WOW ... Really depressing.

Old 01-12-2015, 04:28 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
I ran into Radio Shack there for battery for my portable phone (sort of redundant, why does anyone go into RS if not for a battery) and thought the whole place was going to fall down. All I could think was they must have some good deal there, rent wise.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I do! Lived here all of my forty years. I LOVED it when that mall first opened. I was a teenager, and my mom would take me, my sister, and some of our friends there on weekends. There was a place called "Reho Fries" that had THE best fries, hands down. I also remember when I was about 15 and the Chippendale dancers paid a visit to the mall for publicity/photo ops. I had my picture taken sitting on their laps, LOL! Mom even bought me a Chippendales tank top which I had autographed...and still have .

There used to be a really great pet store there back when I was a teen as well. I had a tropical fish hobby back then and was always buying fish there. It was the closest pet store to us (we lived in Oak Orchard). There were very few stores in the Oak Orchard area back then--just a gas station and a liquor store, not all built up like it is now. Going to the mall was a big deal to us--finally, civilization!

Later years: I worked at Peebles in 1995 and had lunch in the food court every day. They always had good food there. Sadly, the mall was going downhill then. I thought it would pick back up after they opened the movie theaters. I really took advantage of those theaters with their cheap prices. It sure beats paying all that money at Midway.
I have to agree with you that the mall did start going downhill around 1995. I say that because I believe 1995 was the last year me and my family went there annually. (I only remember going there when I was living in St Louis, and by the summer of 1996, I was out of St. Louis) The only time I went there after 1995 was when I saw a movie in the theaters there once, and that was like, 2004, and it wasn't as good as it was in the 90's, and they got rid of the chessboard floor by then. At least in 2004, the mall wasn't as bad, like it currently is though.

You know, Liz, when we were there, we did go into Peebles and it was around the time you worked there, so it's very possible you might of saw me as a little toddler while you were working there.

Also, I found out the theater opened in late 1993, but the Superfresh was still there in 1995, so I think it turns out we walked outside and then into the Superfresh, because I swear I remember going into the Superfresh there in 1995.

Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,260,852 times
Anybody remember when Roses's was the anchor for Rehoboth Mall? And did a thriving business because there was no K-Mart and certainly no WalMart in coastal Sussex County. I would guess that was in the '80s. Tried to figure out when the mall was built, but I can't.

There was another "discount department store" farther south on Route 1, where there is now a big condo/townhouse development. It's just south of CVS on the northbound side of Route 1. Can't for the life of me think of the name of that store. Oh -- I just let this sit for a few minutes, and now I know. It was Ames!

In case you haven't seen it, this proposal for the newest shopping center in the coastal area is downright scary: Sussex shopping center would dwarf outlets

And this NYTimes article will take you back: NORTHEAST NOTEBOOK - Rehoboth Beach, Del. - Discount Outlet By the Seaside - NYTimes.com

Love looking back and remembering the beach the way it was . . .

Old 01-13-2015, 06:54 PM

374 posts, read 517,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
I ran into Radio Shack there for battery for my portable phone (sort of redundant, why does anyone go into RS if not for a battery) and thought the whole place was going to fall down. All I could think was they must have some good deal there, rent wise.
I wandered into the mall myself this summer while killing time. My first thought was "how dark it is in here" and was surprised that about the only operating business was the Radio Shack. I went in and asked the store manager how they survived, given there is only the little "R" logo out front. He advised that he has been requesting that they install a large window (through the brick wall to the parking lot) so folks can tell the store is even there.

Given the fate of Radio Shack nationwide, it seems ironic that it is about the only business to survive in that mall area.

I wonder if Walmart has ever considered upsizing its store to a Supercenter? Given the surrounding supermarkets it may not think it is worth it, given they get plenty of business as is.

Guess it is natural to look back on businesses that were once thriving that have now gone by the boards, or at least in jeopardy. I remember when Kmart was the "new behemoth" that was bumping out the smaller, private department stores. Johnny Carson and other comedians used to have a great time making fun of their "blue light specials". Anyone remember looking through the Montgomery Ward catalog? I worked for a time in a Chicago suburb in the building that was previously their world headquarters. Beautiful facility with a walking path around a reflecting pond, dedicated indoor garage for employees, marble floors, etc.

Now stalwarts such as Sears, JC Penny, Radio Shack, and several others are fighting for survival.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
Anybody remember when Roses's was the anchor for Rehoboth Mall? And did a thriving business because there was no K-Mart and certainly no WalMart in coastal Sussex County. I would guess that was in the '80s. Tried to figure out when the mall was built, but I can't.

There was another "discount department store" farther south on Route 1, where there is now a big condo/townhouse development. It's just south of CVS on the northbound side of Route 1. Can't for the life of me think of the name of that store. Oh -- I just let this sit for a few minutes, and now I know. It was Ames!

In case you haven't seen it, this proposal for the newest shopping center in the coastal area is downright scary: Sussex shopping center would dwarf outlets

And this NYTimes article will take you back: NORTHEAST NOTEBOOK - Rehoboth Beach, Del. - Discount Outlet By the Seaside - NYTimes.com

Love looking back and remembering the beach the way it was . . .
I don't think I've ever been in the Roses, but I do know that there was one there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEveryDay View Post
I wandered into the mall myself this summer while killing time. My first thought was "how dark it is in here" and was surprised that about the only operating business was the Radio Shack. I went in and asked the store manager how they survived, given there is only the little "R" logo out front. He advised that he has been requesting that they install a large window (through the brick wall to the parking lot) so folks can tell the store is even there.

Given the fate of Radio Shack nationwide, it seems ironic that it is about the only business to survive in that mall area.

I wonder if Walmart has ever considered upsizing its store to a Supercenter? Given the surrounding supermarkets it may not think it is worth it, given they get plenty of business as is.

Guess it is natural to look back on businesses that were once thriving that have now gone by the boards, or at least in jeopardy. I remember when Kmart was the "new behemoth" that was bumping out the smaller, private department stores. Johnny Carson and other comedians used to have a great time making fun of their "blue light specials". Anyone remember looking through the Montgomery Ward catalog? I worked for a time in a Chicago suburb in the building that was previously their world headquarters. Beautiful facility with a walking path around a reflecting pond, dedicated indoor garage for employees, marble floors, etc.

Now stalwarts such as Sears, JC Penny, Radio Shack, and several others are fighting for survival.
I see why the manager would want a window. That store along with Peebles are the only two big stores left that open into the mall.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:00 AM

4,792 posts, read 8,189,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonasNewsch View Post
I see why the manager would want a window. That store along with Peebles are the only two big stores left that open into the mall.
People would have to get close enough to see through the window. A BIG well lit sign might be better.

Old 01-14-2015, 08:05 AM

9,724 posts, read 14,264,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post

Good memories, Liz. My memories are good too, back in the 1940's when it was vacant land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: