Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-12-2015, 06:37 PM

2 posts, read 2,618 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

So I'm going to POSSIBLY be moving from NYC To Delaware. My boyfriend got accepted into a masters program at the University of Delaware and might go there. I'm a city girl and I'm a little worried about moving to a small town. I wanted to look into something that has more of a city vibe and has a lot of entertainment/shops, but I also don't want to move to a noisy college town area. Can anyone recommend any cities in DE that might be fun yet peaceful for a couple in their late 20's? Also transportation and less than an hour commute would be ideal! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Alex
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2015, 07:33 PM

13,065 posts, read 18,197,042 times
I will go out on a limb and being from LI, I can speak with some degree of familiarity with NYC having worked there for over 20 years and say, if NYC agrees with you, and that is the VIBE you are looking for, DE. probably will not be a good place for you to move to.

Old 02-12-2015, 08:16 PM

2 posts, read 2,618 times
Are there any other cities that are outside of DE that are a little livelier and less than an hour of a commute from the University of Delaware?

Old 02-12-2015, 09:00 PM

13,065 posts, read 18,197,042 times
Philly comes to mind.

Old 02-13-2015, 04:24 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,569,710 times
OP,

I do hope when you refer to transportation that you understand that a car and knowing how to drive is essential in DE.

Old 02-21-2015, 08:18 PM

314 posts, read 556,721 times
If you want lively in Delaware outside of Newark, I would suggest the Trolley Square neighborhood in Wilmington.

Old 02-23-2015, 03:29 PM

2,048 posts, read 2,164,437 times
Philly is just about an hours drive from the UD campus, with no heavy traffic or construction, which often takes place on that corridor of I-95. Honestly, unless your boyfriend feels as strongly about living in a lively city as you do, he might not be into taking on that kind of commute twice a day. However, if you choose that, Philly is pretty great. It's like a smaller but cheaper NYC.

Wilmington is really all Delaware has as far as cities. But it's a lot closer to Newark, and puts you only a half hour from Philly, which you can visit on weekends. It's way smaller than Philly, of course, but there's some non-college nightlife there.

Old 02-28-2015, 06:20 AM

13,255 posts, read 33,588,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallouise View Post
Philly is just about an hours drive from the UD campus, with no heavy traffic or construction, which often takes place on that corridor of I-95. Honestly, unless your boyfriend feels as strongly about living in a lively city as you do, he might not be into taking on that kind of commute twice a day. However, if you choose that, Philly is pretty great. It's like a smaller but cheaper NYC.

Wilmington is really all Delaware has as far as cities. But it's a lot closer to Newark, and puts you only a half hour from Philly, which you can visit on weekends. It's way smaller than Philly, of course, but there's some non-college nightlife there.
I think you meant to say, "..with heavy traffic and/or construction..." I used to live on the border of PA and Delaware and did whatever I could to avoid driving I-95 during rush hour. It's a much over subscribed stretch of road and not something you would want to do twice daily if there were better alternatives.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-05-2015, 02:08 PM

13 posts, read 14,664 times
Congrats to you boyfriend for his Master Degree acceptance. UD is a really great school, despite all the news about the college kids and Newark being a party town.

Anywhere in the county of New Castle would be an ideal place to live. The reason I say this is because it's centrally located. You're an hour drive away from Baltimore, Philly, and the Beaches. Wilmington is right around the corner witch has it's it's secret gems hiding around the city. Wilmington also has it's local train station witch you can always take a ride back to NYC without having to bring the car.

During the winter times it's more quiet than you would expect it to be. UD attain it's noisy reputation thanks to the summer and spring lifestyles. I grew up in Delaware all my life and my family and I have always traveled to the surrounding location witch was no longer than a days trip.

As far as affordability goes. I recommend not renting around Wilmington. They tend to be too expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware