Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2015, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,178 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to purchase our 1st home in the coming months, after looking at countless resells we realized we're going to go with new construction. We narrowered down two areas:

High point st George's in delaware city, it's a toll brothers community and it's within our budject. I'm only worried about living so close to the refinery. Anybody own a home around this area and can tell us any cons smell wise etc? I drove by 6-7 times last week at different times but I couldn't smell anything this time
Of year? Only down side is the sales lady told us there homes are taking a 10k price increase in the next week, and would need a deposit to hold the price and or lot, which I'm not sure if she's playing a game
Or sincerely being honest.

The other area is Middletown called Shannon cove which is a DR Horton community. The main plus with this place is its in the appoquinimink school district compared to colonial (toll brothers). But they don't have any walkable models of the two styles of homes we like. So it's very hard for us to see what it would look inside. We have no kids currenly but will in the next year.

Any advice is appreciated

Thanks,
Ron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 07:06 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,365,924 times
I have friends who live in Delaware City and I live a few miles away. Never had any types of odors coming from the refinery. DH has done environmental work very close to the refinery and when I have been down there, no odors at all.

We chose not to live in Middletown many years ago because there was very little in the way of shopping and services, and the traffic congestion, which, imo, has not been corrected. That said, I am retired and am never down there when traffic is very bad. When I worked and was traveling during early morning hours, that was a major consideration for me. DH travels to North Philly for work and rush hour would not have been good for him, either.

As far as school districts, I retired from Colonial. However, I would probably want my children to go to Appo, if only because of the ridiculous politics in Colonial, which not only affects school climate but trickles down to the classroom. What I have found in NCC is that it is still transient in many respects and the "troublemakers" in schools tend to come from the Chester, Philly areas, and north. I am sure that there will be some who do not believe that, but since I am a Philly girl, I always asked new students where they were from, and I always knew those neighborhoods.

I would definitely expect that the sales rep at High Point is correct in that there will be an increase. Spring is coming, it is the ideal time for home buying, and people are buying new homes. My concern for any new neighborhood is how many people will still be able to afford their homes in a few years, but you would have no way of knowing that.

If you have not done this, research reviews of DR Horton communities throughout the country. There are probably similar floor plans available for you to see. With all of the new medical and commercial sites going up in Middletown, that probably is where I would move my family. Good luck in your decision.

Old 03-07-2015, 08:59 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
We were driving north on Rt. 1 late yesterday, and the smell from the refinery was definitely noticeable. We thought that was unusual, since it was clear (not foggy) weather. We've lived in Kent County for 74 years, and when driving in that Delaware City area, have smelled the refinery more often than not. Another factor to consider when thinking about Delaware City - Would you want to be viewing that nuclear reactor all the time, across the river in New Jersey?

Old 03-18-2015, 03:53 PM

127 posts, read 490,439 times
The reactor is not visible from Delaware City.

Middletown has had a boom in services & retail in the last 10 years. Delaware City has had problems with water pollution, so I would be wary of well water. Delaware City might also be more difficult to resell, because of the refinery. Middletown is in a WAY better school district.

I wouldn't believe the sales rep, but I'm cynical like that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: