Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 03:21 PM

13 posts, read 18,844 times

Advertisements

NJBoy3
Explain, what is so costly in Delaware? NJ is now uninhabitable in any nice area because of the cost. Even if you live in Camden, Newark or Paterson, your taxes are high. Live in a nice area, like where I am in Morris County and unless you make 150K+ you might as well look elsewhere.

As far a mini-mountains, I understand DE doesn't have what we have in north Jersey. I have 2 dogs I go hiking with daily off leash and that is my biggest concern. Finding places they can be off leash. I saw on the beaches off season it's allowed. Was wondering if the parks allow it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2015, 04:30 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,393,448 times
Quote:
. You will see fees for things in DE we don't see in NJ. It all adds up, has to come from somewhere. While I certainly see advantages in DE I
Uhmmm ok, can you back that statement up with something?

I know some states va. And sc have an apparent car luxury tax based on the year of your car. Not sure about de.

Old 04-15-2015, 06:57 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,522,732 times
I have been looking in both northern most and southern most DE.

Southern most, DE - Take the Lewes area for example. In most cases the HOA fees are more than the taxes. Propane is the main heat source and it ain't cheap. And even if you have nat gas it ain't cheap (read the thread) And you pay for trash removal.

Northern most DE - Taxes are coming up fast. And again you pay for trash. Probably will have to hire a lawn service just to get rid of yard trash. And in many cases again HOA fees.

These HOAs is some cases maintain everything. Not just plowing snow but maintaining streets/sewers/street lights. The HOA owns the streets, sewers etc... You get the picture.

Find a good honest, honest realtor. And ask the questions.

Don't get me wrong. I love Delaware. Have had some great times there and hope to make it my home this year but you have to do the math... I am just trying to help here, don't kill the messenger...

Old 04-16-2015, 05:12 AM

1,680 posts, read 2,562,095 times
NJBoy3,

Sounds like you are looking for a single family home in DE. What type of heating source are you using now in NJ? How do you pay for trash collection now where you live? Is it included in your taxes? Do you presently live in an HOA community?

Mary2014

PS: Try looking at the Delaware Electric Cooperative tool for estimating utility costs I just posted in another thread to get an idea of electric and heating costs based upon the average temperatures in DE (which I am guessing are warmer than in Northern NJ- so heating costs with propane may not be as much as you think.)

Old 04-16-2015, 05:38 AM

Yes, nice single family house in southern most NJ. Natural gas from an established seller. No HOA. City picks up trash, included in taxes.

And I was just thinking last night after my post - I cut my own lawn and the city picks up all refuse for free, even old sofas and tires. But I have neighbors who use a lawn service for $75.00 a week. It all can add up..

Yes, looking for a quality built ranch. 3/2 on a nice lot. Would like a sunroom. Hopefully a dry basement.

Thanks for suggesting Delaware Electric Cooperative.

Thanks Mary-

Old 04-16-2015, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
Yes, nice single family house in southern most NJ. Natural gas from an established seller. No HOA. City picks up trash, included in taxes.

And I was just thinking last night after my post - I cut my own lawn and the city picks up all refuse for free, even old sofas and tires. But I have neighbors who use a lawn service for $75.00 a week. It all can add up..

Yes, looking for a quality built ranch. 3/2 on a nice lot. Would like a sunroom. Hopefully a dry basement.

Thanks for suggesting Delaware Electric Cooperative.

Thanks Mary-

NJBoy3,

Yes, do try the DEC tool as it takes into consideration the size of your home, # of people living in the home, types of heating etc.

For example, I am heating with propane using a duel fuel heat pump. So the propane was only used when the temperatures went down below 40 degrees this winter. I also heat my hot water using propane rather than electric. I live in a condo community. My actual cost of propane this past year (which was an unusually cold winter) for heating was about $600 and add another $84 for hot water for a year. My electric bill for a year less than $600. Just having a propane hot water heater rather than electric hot water heater saved me almost $400 per year That savings covered 2/3 of my cost to heat my condo!

Now I do pay about $240 a month for HOA/Condo fees - but, that covers all sorts of maintenance including the roof, siding, grounds, trash collection, gutter cleaning, lawn maintenance etc. that as a single family homeowner you are responsible for those costs. HOA fees will depend upon what is included and that varies from community to community.

Why I like the DEC tool is because it gives you an idea of your electric and heating costs based upon your particular housing configuration which could be very different from mine.

Mary2014

Old 04-16-2015, 07:22 AM

Mary2014 -

Wow that is low for heat and hot water. The realtor I speak with in Lewes paid (propane) that for one cold winter month (big house). His house is about the same size as mine in NJ and I am paying (nat gas) average 400 cold month. His HOA is locked into a 100 year propane contract. The propane company owns big tanks in the HOA and everyone gets their propane only from them. I had another realtor tell me that community was nat gas, gosh I would have had a surprise.

Are you mid-state? Middletown/Bear?

Old 04-16-2015, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Mary2014 -

Wow that is low for heat and hot water. The realtor I speak with in Lewes paid (propane) that for one cold winter month (big house). His house is about the same size as mine in NJ and I am paying (nat gas) average 400 cold month. His HOA is locked into a 100 year propane contract. The propane company owns big tanks in the HOA and everyone gets their propane only from them. I had another realtor tell me that community was nat gas, gosh I would have had a surprise.

Are you mid-state? Middletown/Bear?

NJBoy3,

I live in a condo community in Lewes. I have a first floor 1200 sq ft condo. We have metered propane with a large tank about 1/2 mile away that serves about 100 condos . We all must use one propane supplier and we get about a 33% discount off of the average residential rate- so propane this year cost me about $2 per gallon.

I have a tankless propane hot water heater - so my hot water costs are about as low as you can get.

Prior to moving to DE I had a single family home in SE PA. I was surprised when my electric bill in DE dropped about $45 per month - but now I know it was because the electric hot water heater in my prior home was costing me over $40 per month! Never realized electric hot water heater cost so much until I moved to DE and started using propane for my hot water heater.

Mary2014

Old 04-16-2015, 09:59 AM

Mary2014 -

Thanks for the information on propane. Best to hear from someone actually paying for it.

How do you like Lewes. How long have you been there. Are storms and rising water a problem.

Many thanks!

Old 04-16-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Mary2014 -

Thanks for the information on propane. Best to hear from someone actually paying for it.

How do you like Lewes. How long have you been there. Are storms and rising water a problem.

Many thanks!
NJBoy3,

I love Lewes. I am about 6 miles west of downtown Lewes, so I get to walk on the beach every day weather permitting. I have been here almost 11 months and the numbers I gave you on usage are based on a 12 month average.

I am far enough away from the beach that storms and rising water have not been a problem.

I particularly like the DEC tool because my usage (and costs) reflect my circumstances when it comes to electric and heating costs. The parameters you set up in the program will account for the way you live. So, you get to see what you can expect as far as costs based upon your housing requirements.

The program allows you to play around with "what ifs" such as what is the impact if you chose to use a dual fuel heat pump vs heating with just propane. What is the difference if you have an electric hot water heater vs a propane hot water heater? What is the impact on your electric bill if you have new energy efficient appliances vs appliances that are 15 yrs old? Use LED lighting? etc. etc. etc.

Mary2014
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware