Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 04:18 AM

26 posts, read 51,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocopsonite View Post
If you're at all worried about feeling isolated, my husband worked with a Brit before they both retired from DuPont. At that point (2000's) there was an active ex-pat Brit group in the Wilmington/Newark area that used to meet regularly. I'm sure it must still be active since there are so many other companies now with major presence in GB.

There is also an International Women's Club IWC | International Women's Club of Delaware. Perhaps if you contact them, they can put you in touch with Brits who have been here a while. Note that their three membership areas don't seem to extend south of the Chesapeake & Delaware Canal, which is where Middletown is.
Thank you Pocopsonite.
We are certainly not worried about feeling isolated, having spent so much time in the US over the years, we feel right at home, however, my wife was certainly interested to learn of the IWC.
Thank you once again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 04:32 AM

26 posts, read 51,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis346 View Post
Yes, go ahead. I have lived in DE my whole life. From Wilmington to south of Dover.
Thank you once again Luis346.

Could I start with some basics?
It might seem obvious, but I am sure there are actually many differences that we don't think between the US and UK about when it come to monthly bills.

Living in Delaware and as a home owner or renter, what would you need to deal with?

Naturally, the following:
Electricity
Water
Telephone
Internet (or can you tie that in with the telephone bill?)
Cable
Perhaps Gas?
Home insurance
Medical insurance
Vehicle registration
Car insurance

Have I missed anything?

Could you also possibly give guide to monthly or annual costs?
I totally appreciate this will vary on property size, but for example, I read the average electric bill in DE was estimated to be $122 a month?

Thank you in advance once again.

Old 06-01-2015, 06:39 AM

42 posts, read 40,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicUK View Post
That is very kind of you.
I speak with a very British accent and ironically commented just this past weekend on how I used to be asked all the time to say anything so people could hear it. Sadly I cannot remember now when that last happened?! Times have changed!
People are too afraid of being offensive nowadays.
Not sure if people just arent down to earth anymore, or people are too sensitive.

Old 04-12-2017, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 370 times
Default Living in Delaware

I'm a Brit and have lived in Delaware since 1999. Winters can be cold and snowy. Spring and autumn are usually lovely. Summer can be humid: long stretches of hotter than normal UK temperatures are not uncommon. You'll begin to thank your lucky stars for air conditioning, both at home and at work, and in cars, shops, and malls. Delaware is on the same latitude as Madrid, Spain, so it has a similar climate. No sales tax makes shopping far cheaper than surrounding states. General cost and standard of living here, and in the US generally compared to the UK are lower and higher respectively. There's a great choice of shopping in Wilmington/Newark, and decent restaurants. I live in Wilmington and it's about an hour or so from home to the Delaware beaches and two hours or so to the New Jersey shore. Excellent rail and road access to Philadelphia, Washington, D.C., and Baltimore. New York is a 2.5 - 3 hour drive north east along the New Jersey Turnpike. Lots of gently undulating countryside that's similar to many parts of the Midlands in the UK.
Beware on the highways of aggressive drivers and tailgaters. It seems to be a national sport all along the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware