Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 12:25 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times

Advertisements

Just thought I'd let everybody know that a rabid fox bit a man in Frankford yesterday, right near route 113. Fox was killed and tests confirmed it does have rabies. The man is currently undergoing treatment. I will post a link once I can find an article; I learned about this via a friend. The thing is....where there's one rabid animal, there are more! So everyone, please watch out for any suspicious acting animals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2015, 02:57 PM

15,250 posts, read 12,960,932 times
Rabid wild animals are a growing problem in California because the drought is forcing wildlife to venture closer to human habitation to get food and water. In 2014, 178 rabid animals were identified in California, including 150 bats, 24 skunks, 2 cats, 1 dog and 1 fox.

This puts your pets at risk, so make sure they're vaccinated.

Old 06-24-2015, 08:56 AM

Just found out another man was recently bitten by a rabid raccoon in Ocean View. I am (well....was) an avid hiker up until early April and encountered many fox on my hikes out at the Assawoman Wildlife Refuge. They always ran away when they saw me. I saw a groundhog in my area for the first time the other day in my neighbor's backyard--was about as big as a medium sized dog!!! This is only the second groundhog I have seen in Sussex.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:01 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,156,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I saw a groundhog in my area for the first time the other day in my neighbor's backyard--was about as big as a medium sized dog!!! This is only the second groundhog I have seen in Sussex.
That's surprising. Groundhogs are extremely common and visible in New Castle County. They are a daily sight on the sides of roads, in parks, and in back yards (a friend had her backyard parsley plants wiped out by the varmints. And this was in a townhouse community without a ton of green space).

Old 06-24-2015, 11:00 AM

Yes, we often saw them in NCC and in PA on our trips to Lancaster or the Poconos. They aren't as common here though. I saw one a little over a year ago in west Rehoboth running through somebody's yard while we rode our bikes on the Junction and Breakwater Trail. They sure do run fast! It ran beside us while we rode our bikes.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:14 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
Might as well bring this up here. I believe I have read that if your pet is bitten by a rabid animal and you clean the wound you can get infected.

Old 06-25-2015, 12:38 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
I have noticed the same red fox sitting in the same field, 4 different days within the last week, near Camden. When I pull over to take a photo, he runs to the woods.

About groundhogs - they are everywhere in Kent County, and have been for many years. When we farmed, our German Shepherd dog would fight with them, until he met up with a rabid one. We had to put our dog down. Even in our little town, I see them scurrying across the street to back yards now and then. A few years ago on the job, I had to use pepper spray on one who appeared to be very aggressive. After a couple of shots, he retreated.

Old 06-25-2015, 07:21 AM

Yes, that is true, longneckone. Good thing you posted that info.

rdlr--how awful! Groundhogs are mammals....and obviously can fall victim to rabies as well. I didn't realize they can be so nasty. I sure hope I never encounter an aggressive one--the two I've seen in Sussex were huge!

Old 06-25-2015, 10:28 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,426,396 times
Thumbs up true

Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
Might as well bring this up here. I believe I have read that if your pet is bitten by a rabid animal and you clean the wound you can get infected.

Rabies is spread from saliva, so if your pet gets bitten and you clean the would or even handle the pet without gloves, and have an open would, you are exposed. So, gloves are recommended when handling a possibly-exposed pet.

Old 06-26-2015, 07:02 AM

9,722 posts, read 14,262,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Yes, that is true, longneckone. Good thing you posted that info.

rdlr--how awful! Groundhogs are mammals....and obviously can fall victim to rabies as well. I didn't realize they can be so nasty. I sure hope I never encounter an aggressive one--the two I've seen in Sussex were huge!
Yep, Liz....groundhogs can be very aggressive. I was lucky with my experience. I was in a rural area, on the job, measuring a house....all alone. Lucky the pepper spray worked, and even luckier I had it on a chain around my neck.

Fox seem to more prevalent these days, don't they? Either that, or they aren't afraid of venturing out into residential areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware