Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 07:52 PM

12 posts, read 16,398 times

Advertisements

Good evening !
I just accepted a job in Newark and was curious if moving to Wilmington would be a bad commute ? People tell me people don't live in Wilmington to commute to Newark, however people Live in Newark to commute to Wilmington. Just wanted advice on whether that will be a bad decision. If it helps , my schedule time to be to work is 7am
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2016, 10:14 PM

314 posts, read 555,822 times
It's not a bad commute at all. It is about 20 to 30 minutes driving depending on where you are working. You will be going in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic, as traffic usually backs up going into downtown Wilmington from Newark.

Old 01-27-2016, 09:35 AM

Thank you for your response. I was aiming for downtown Wilmington and will be working in the Deerfield area of Newark. Not far from Elkton

Old 01-27-2016, 10:45 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,369,461 times
Depending on how you will be traveling, traffic can be heavy on Route 40 and on I-95. You will find that many people leave for work very early. When I was working and had a start time of 7:20 a.m., I left for work at 6:30 and traffic was heavy--took me almost 30 minutes to go 9 miles. DH usually leaves for work before 5 a.m. and finds it amazing how many people are on the road.

My suggestion would be to give it a trial run from your preferred neighborhood at the times you will be coming and going to work and see how that works for you. More homes being built equals more traffic.

Old 01-27-2016, 10:53 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,532,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsSunnyTrick View Post
Thank you for your response. I was aiming for downtown Wilmington and will be working in the Deerfield area of Newark. Not far from Elkton
Why do you need those complications? Newark is much more pleasant place to live. And rent is cheap there.
Wilmington can be cheaper to buy a house, but I am guessing cheaper in not so nice area.
Especially Deerfield area of Newark is quite nice. I would never exchange it for Wilmington.
Rent or buy near Deerfield area, enjoy nature and 5-10 min commute and wake up at 7 or 8AM instead of 5 or 6.

Old 01-27-2016, 01:15 PM

Can't wake up at 7am if I have to be there at 7am! Lol

Old 01-27-2016, 03:52 PM

314 posts, read 555,822 times
If you are leaving the house around 6:30 am, you have should no problems in getting from Wilmington to Newark quickly.

Where exactly is your job and what is your price range for a rental? What type of living environment are you seeking? Are you looking a place with a vibrant nightlife or something more family oriented?

If you are a young professional who prefers to be within walking distance to a lot of bars, I would suggest the Trolley Square neighborhood in Wilmington. IMO, it's the best that Wilmington has to offer. Newark has Main Street, but it's largely a college crowd. Either way, there are good options in both Wilmington and Newark.

Old 01-27-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngprodigy21 View Post
If you are leaving the house around 6:30 am, you have should no problems in getting from Wilmington to Newark quickly.

Where exactly is your job and what is your price range for a rental? What type of living environment are you seeking? Are you looking a place with a vibrant nightlife or something more family oriented?

If you are a young professional who prefers to be within walking distance to a lot of bars, I would suggest the Trolley Square neighborhood in Wilmington. IMO, it's the best that Wilmington has to offer. Newark has Main Street, but it's largely a college crowd. Either way, there are good options in both Wilmington and Newark.
I will be working for a bank at their corporate site. And I'm in my early 20's however not a fan of college crowd being that Im out of college. Just wanted to keep my options open because Wilmington is closer to the bridge for when I want to go to south jersey or even Philly. I wanted to keep rent pretty cheap. No more than 850

Old 01-28-2016, 12:14 AM

1,046 posts, read 1,262,615 times
Not sure what bridge you're thinking of to Philadelphia from Delaware. There's one on I-95 north of the airport, but it's just part of the Interstate.

The bridge to South Jersey is Delaware Memorial Bridge, which isn't really near Wilmington. New Castle is the closest area to DMB, but except for Olde New Castle, New Castle is not a particularly desirable area.

You want to live near I-95 if you're thinking about frequent visits to Philly. Some parts of Newark are close to I-95; others are not. "Newark" is a lot bigger than the city limits, which is where most of the student influence is felt.

Are you aware that large portions of the area with a Wilmington address are not in the City of Wilmington? And therefore do not have the criminal activity problems you may have heard about the City of Wilmington?

There are very nice sections of what's called North Wilmington, an unincorporated area of New Castle County, that are close to I-95. You could be in Philly in 30 minutes, and in Newark in 30 minutes, if you lived near a North Wilmington exit of I-95. Those exits would be Naamans Road, Marsh Road, and Concord Pike.

Good luck with your search. Hope you enjoy the new job and new area.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:22 AM

When I say bridge I was speaking of Memorial bridge since it's closer to south jersey. And when I said philly I wasn't associating that with a bridge. I was just saying I would like to be close but it's not actually required. But that was much needed info by the way. Thanks !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware