Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2016, 11:19 PM

4,902 posts, read 4,246,113 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Southeastern PA and have lived in Sussex County for the past 25 years. Still have relatives in PA and can tell you our winters are milder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2016, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Perhaps I should learn how to spell shovelable, while I am at it too. I think it is slightly warmer but less snow for sure.
AH yes Spellcheck is your friend.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:09 AM

39 posts, read 41,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
the brutal humidity of the South.
As someone who grew up in Delaware and also lived on Florida for eight years, the biggest difference is that the humidity in the South persists from at least May-October, and possibly longer (it's been a few years since I lived in Florida.) In Delaware it's a shorter "humid" season.
On the other hand, the Delaware Winters aren't bad, aside from the occasional major snowstorm (appox. zero to two times/year.) It doesn't get very cold, aside from the month of February. Most of the time, highs are in the 20's-40's, mostly in the 30's.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:56 AM

33,077 posts, read 36,752,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
As a former Ny'er and now 3 year plus Delaware resident, I disagree with the winter comment. Last year we barely had any shovel able snow at all. The winters are not bad at all. People have said the humidity is worse here than Long Island but I think it is about the same.
The whole region didn't get much snow this past winter. The one before was unusually cold. I think the humidity is pretty much the same. I just checked 2 areas on LI and 2 in DE, both inland, and the humidity was was very similar.

Old 07-27-2016, 09:12 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,938,025 times
WildParrot's description is pretty much spot on. I've always lived in DE, but my husband and I travel often and have stayed for extended vacations in south/southwest Florida, mostly during the summer but other times as well. It is very humid here during the summer (right now it's really bad!), but the extreme humidity only lasts from July-September, maybe some in June. Florida is humid for months on end with inland locations being the most unbearable. Central Florida is like a never-ending sauna. Inland South Carolina and Georgia are really nasty humid as well, often times worse than Florida and Delaware.

Our winters here are nothing to worry about. They've become milder as the years go on. I can remember much colder temps and a lot more snow when I was a kid in the 70's and 80's. This past winter was really mild; we only have maybe a couple weeks total of very frigid temps (highs below thirty degrees). I rode my bike a lot this past winter...just wasn't very cold at all.

Old 07-28-2016, 12:30 PM

2,447 posts, read 2,569,481 times
Quote:
Hi, I am a CT native in nursing school. Looking to move away from New England to escape the winters, but unsure if I can face the brutal humidity of the South.

How is life in Delaware. When i think of Delaware think of crime in Wilmington, beaches of Rebooth, the State Parks, Dover Raceway, and colleges.

Appreciate the insight.
Wow, the OP is considering so many choices to move. I'm little jealous. I like Texas, but would like to return back to Delaware and this is the only my dream state now for a number of reasons. But OP is looking pretty much everywhere. Is she serious enough? - Trying to escape winters, but looking in upstate NY and Rhode Island as well.

RunD1987
How is life in Florida?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/flori...e-florida.html

RunD1987
Life in Texas (Questions)

https://www.city-data.com/forum/texas...questions.html

RunD1987
How is life in Albany and surrounding areas...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alban...ing-areas.html

RunD1987
Moving from CT to Maine...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/portl...-ct-maine.html

RunD1987
Massachusetts vs Virginia vs Pennsylvania

https://www.city-data.com/forum/city-...nsylvania.html

RunD1987
What is life like in Rhode Island?

https://www.city-data.com/forum/rhode...de-island.html

RunD1987
Question regarding income and living in Mass...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/massa...ving-mass.html

Old 07-28-2016, 06:32 PM

9,921 posts, read 7,798,423 times
How far would a joint income of $85K to $90K go in Delaware (Dover, Milford, Lewes area)?

Old 07-29-2016, 05:38 AM

13,072 posts, read 18,305,387 times
Quote:
How far would a joint income of $85K to $90K go in Delaware (Dover, Milford, Lewes area)?
Without knowing some additional info that is hard to answer. Tax wise we are under $1400 in Rehoboth Beach for a 2400 square foot home. Insurance for our home is about $1000 and our car insurance is abut the same for two cars. Depending upon what you use gas, or electric will determine your bills. Those are the amounts of our bills that are the standing big nuts annually.

Those annual numbers income wise, may not help you if you are counting on working here while going to school, as the job market is not as lucrative as other areas. What does the other earner do and will he/she need to find a new job? Jobs in this area are plentiful for seasonal workers but not for other jobs. You also don't indicate how much of a mortgage payment you will need to include as part of that joint income number should you think your income will remain the same.

Lastly, your lifestyle plays into the answer. Dine out a lot, travel a lot etc.

Old 07-29-2016, 11:09 PM

Quote:
It is certainly doable. Much would depend on your lifestyle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware