Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2017, 07:18 AM

9,723 posts, read 14,262,736 times

Advertisements

Latest news is that the correctional facility was stormed by Delaware State Police at 5:00 a.m. today. Hostage situation is over, but it has been horrible.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.584d5c1aad16
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2017, 08:15 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,347,049 times
I served on jury duty several months ago, and the defendant had been housed in that C block, or what they refer to as the Charley block. He had beaten a new guard, who followed Delaware prison rules, to the point that the guard will have vision problems for the rest of his life. The guard was beaten because he gave the prisoners three minutes to get their towels and water bottles and leave their cells to go to recreation. The defendant wanted to take his time and wanted ten minutes.

While we did not know it at the time, the defendant had burned two people alive while in their car. Charley block is apparently the block they go to when they are moved out of maximum security.

It was obvious from the testimony of the guards and prisoners that the prisoners pretty much ran the cell block. The regular guards did not want trouble, so the prisoners had quite a bit of freedom. The supervisor in charge was someone who I would have either fired or demoted.

This is definitely a tragedy, and I hope that Governor Carney makes some drastic changes. This is a prison and not a country club.

My sincerest condolences to the family of the guard who was killed, and I hope that those released employees get the best of whatever mental/physical assistance that they might need.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:34 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,112,817 times
Prayers to the CO's family. So sad.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:20 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
I cannot post on here what I know, but the details surrounding the one officer's death are horrendous. Too bad that Delaware's death penalty was ruled unconstitutional, as this certainly was a motivating factor behind these animals' actions. What's another life term if you're already in there for life???

Side note: I will not engage in debates on my opinion of the death penalty. Period. At my age, I do not need to justify my opinion.

Old 02-02-2017, 09:56 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
It is my understanding from following news articles that the Prison system is severely understaffed. My son had placed an application there a few years ago. Glad he did not get a job offer. May the Lord be with the guard who was killed,the hostages and their families.

Old 02-02-2017, 10:31 AM

Yes, it is very much understaffed. My son also showed interest in working there, and thankfully he decided not to after I expressed concern.

Old 02-02-2017, 08:30 PM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
My mother's friend's husband was a guard (not there) was attacked on the job and disabled in his 40s. It was quite a blow to the family.

There goes saving for retirement... or everything.

Old 02-04-2017, 07:58 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,215,846 times
From the Delaware House of Representatives E - News Letter
According to information provided by COAD, there have been nearly 25 assaults against prison staffers since August 1st.

At a press conference held Thursday at the COAD headquarters in Dover, Mr. Klopp said there are at least 90 unfilled Correctional Officer vacancies, leading to forced overtime and providing insufficient staffing for maintaining safe conditions. The Department of Correction reportedly spends upwards of $20 million annually for overtime.

While the investigation into Wednesday's incident is ongoing, Mr. Klopp said he believes the enduring shortages played a major role. "Let me be clear," he told reporters. "Sgt. Floyd did not have to die. We asked for help from the previous governor and got none."

Old 02-04-2017, 01:54 PM

Exactly ^^^^^

Old 02-05-2017, 09:23 AM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
I cannot post on here what I know, but the details surrounding the one officer's death are horrendous. Too bad that Delaware's death penalty was ruled unconstitutional, as this certainly was a motivating factor behind these animals' actions. What's another life term if you're already in there for life???

Side note: I will not engage in debates on my opinion of the death penalty. Period. At my age, I do not need to justify my opinion.
^^^Yes to the whole post!!^^^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware