Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 05:33 PM

819 posts, read 583,366 times

Advertisements

A dear friend of mine wants to retire to Delaware in the next few years. He loves the beaches, taxes, atmosphere, taxes, low-cost housing (compared to NY) and taxes. By all accounts it looks like a nice state in which to retire or live and work, job market permitting.

So how come Delaware never shows up on those 'Best Places' lists? There seems to be a lot to recommend it. Are denizens of DE deliberately trying to keep their state a secret?

If you already live in DE, would you retire there? If you don't live there, what is the attraction?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2017, 07:22 PM

22,473 posts, read 12,003,345 times
We're planning to move to DE. For us, the main attraction is the cheaper COL (well...compared to where we are now, which is NoVA). Also, we have family in the Northeast (NJ, NY, MA) and living in DE brings us closer to them.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:31 AM

4,902 posts, read 4,217,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk2 View Post
A dear friend of mine wants to retire to Delaware in the next few years. He loves the beaches, taxes, atmosphere, taxes, low-cost housing (compared to NY) and taxes. By all accounts it looks like a nice state in which to retire or live and work, job market permitting.

So how come Delaware never shows up on those 'Best Places' lists? There seems to be a lot to recommend it. Are denizens of DE deliberately trying to keep their state a secret?

If you already live in DE, would you retire there? If you don't live there, what is the attraction?
While not actively trying to keep it a secret we don't go out of our way to encourage people moving here. Too many people are moving here and unhappy because it's not like "home". One should checkout the area AT LEAST one full week EACH season before seriously considering a permanent full time move.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:40 AM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
DH and I moved to Rehoboth 4.5 years ago from LI and never regretted it. We miss people, pizza, bagels and chinese food. Period. Pretty darn good for life long LI'ers. That said, if you are looking for shopping malls, and having everything within a short drive, this might now be the place for you. Dover is the nearest mall about 45 minutes away and Christiana about an hour and 15 minutes away. Christiana has everything a major mall that you might be used to has. So if your friend is a shopper bear that in mind. We, are not. I have been to Christiana once for my apple computer. We do just fine in the outlets and an occasional Dover trip.

The cost of housing especially in southern De. (beach areas) is high and going higher. Now compared to NY, one might not think so. Driving is a necessity, as off season the DART bus curtails many of its' routes and it can take several changes and time to get somewhere. If they are travelers, there is no large airport, most use Philly or Baltimore. Again, relative to he NY metro area, this may not be the case, bit COLA is about 10% higher than the national average according to a recent article. Lastly, doctors in the beach area are in demand and will be more in demand as the influx continues.

Property taxes are low, there is no sales tax, the first $12,500 of pension monies are exempt and there is no state tax, at the state level SS is not taxed. I will honestly tell you that for many it is just what the doctor ordered but for others, they are too "NY metro" to be happy here in, at least in southern De.

Old 10-22-2017, 10:10 AM

439 posts, read 425,769 times
Very well said Nuts! We are still trying to decide and while we see lovely communities the driving distance to airports, shopping centers, Costco, Target etc is still holding us back. My main concern is still medical choices. We just toured one community and the rep told us she moved over a year ago and still has found a doctor she likes. That being said, I'm sure they are out there It a tough decision because we are mid Atlantic people so the area itself is appealing,

Old 10-22-2017, 04:05 PM

819 posts, read 583,366 times
Some very helpful answers. Perhaps the medical-care issue is why DE doesn't make some of the lists. As for myself, the Oregon Coast beckons but is reknowned for not having sufficient medical care. I could survive but the DH couldn't

Will definitely keep my eyes open.

Old 10-22-2017, 05:13 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,521,188 times
As stated above you have to visit Delaware. I have made many trips, will be back down this week. There are parts I am still considering. And there are parts I want absolutely no part of.

And don't kid yourself. Delaware is like any other state, it needs revenue. Taxes/fees will go up..

Old 10-23-2017, 02:21 PM

4 posts, read 6,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by longneckone View Post
While not actively trying to keep it a secret we don't go out of our way to encourage people moving here. Too many people are moving here and unhappy because it's not like "home". One should checkout the area AT LEAST one full week EACH season before seriously considering a permanent full time move.

It's horrible ; they bring their bad NJ & NY attitudes with them when they move here (and they make sure to get a black & white license plate to try and fit in). Why can't more people from the Midwest move here? At least they are friendly.

Old 10-23-2017, 07:19 PM

22 posts, read 27,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Webdevv View Post
It's horrible ; they bring their bad NJ & NY attitudes with them when they move here (and they make sure to get a black & white license plate to try and fit in). Why can't more people from the Midwest move here? At least they are friendly.
Wow. That is an unfriendly generalization.

Old 10-24-2017, 01:56 AM

4 posts, read 6,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnandBob View Post
Wow. That is an unfriendly generalization.
Yeah well, most of us are sick of you people invading our state and ruining it. Stereotypes exist for a reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware