Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 06:21 AM

840 posts, read 762,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by soulsurv View Post
[QUOTE
Best of luck. I know you’ve been pondering this for some time.
Indeed I have. Made an ENORMOUS mistake in 2016 by coming back to this horrible pocket of SE PA (due to financial reasons). I am no longer in Kennett which was wonderful but financially unsustainable. I am experiencing a type of "stage fright" now - an absolute terror of making another mistake. Moving was really tough as I had no help (and three dogs) at the time. I really need to make certain I can stay put this time. Not getting any younger...

THANKS SO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP XO[/quote]

I can relate...I made a big move in 2017 and do not like where I am but it's daunting to contemplate another move which might be another mistake. I am alone too which makes it a bit harder. No one to bounce ideas off of or to share thoughts/ideas. It's kind of paralyzing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 03:43 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,353,290 times
[QUOTE
I can relate...I made a big move in 2017 and do not like where I am but it's daunting to contemplate another move which might be another mistake. I am alone too which makes it a bit harder. No one to bounce ideas off of or to share thoughts/ideas. It's kind of paralyzing![/quote]

Indeed! It is a type of emotional paralysis which is also terrifying as I've always been a "Git er DONE" type of person. I'll simply have to plow through it...simply put my head down and keep moving until the quest and the move are complete. THE FOLKS ON THIS BOARD ARE THE BEST! So encouraging and helpful. Going to have to throw a "City-Data" Party when I become a Delawarian

Old 02-26-2018, 10:11 AM

997 posts, read 711,459 times
I appreciate the comments I see on this thread.
I'm an early single retiree and my retirement income will come from taxable IRA distributions, SS, and a tiny pension earned in PA. I am considering moving to PA or DE too. From what I gather here, if I am buying a home Delaware could be the least expensive option tax wise, whereas if I am renting PA would be. But would PA property taxes be prohibitively high in a small condo? I really need to look up the real estate tax rates for PA locations close to the Delaware line. My family lives in the Dover area and my son wants me to move there. Any property tax under the $3900 I pay now in MD would be a savings for me.

Old 02-26-2018, 10:21 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,523,098 times
I too was enamored with DE. But you best visit, visit, visit and do the math just for you. There are costs in DE many don't see on first visit. For instance, while lower RE taxes you can easily have equal HOA fees. Pine To Vine sums it up best. Not all as it appears. And PA works for her/him. Parts of PA do not for me.

As mentioned in posts above for many of us it's also about lifestyle. I can move just about anywhere. I want to go to an area where I can take a nice afternoon drive. Walk trails in a nice forest. Canoe on a nice lake or river. Lots of little things that are important to me are not to others. I just don't want to move to an area where the highpoint of my day is going to the Super Walmart looking for fresh asparagus. Or going to the liquor store to pick up another bottle of Jack.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:02 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,915,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBoy3 View Post
But you best visit, visit, visit and do the math just for you. There are costs in DE many don't see on first visit. For instance, while lower RE taxes you can easily have equal HOA fees.
Yes.....totally agree. One fact I must mention is that the COL is high where I live in comparison to other towns in DE and other states as well. HOA fees are sky high in some developments around here (think thousands) that are already asking ridiculous prices for homes that really aren't built that well. Oh, and groceries and dining out--always higher here. My husband and I often travel up and down the east coast, and we're always impressed by how much cheaper groceries are in other states (especially down south). Even Dunkin' Donuts is very costly here. I have not visited a Dunkin' with prices as high as the one in Bethany, even though they have a wonderfully managed establishment.

We have State Farm and our car insurance rates keep going up even though we both have spotless driving and credit records, are married and forty-something, with no kids. He called and asked why--the reason?? Population increase and more accidents in the area. So....we get to pay for this fact.

Quote:
As mentioned in posts above for many of us it's also about lifestyle. I can move just about anywhere. I want to go to an area where I can take a nice afternoon drive. Walk trails in a nice forest. Canoe on a nice lake or river. Lots of little things that are important to me are not to others. I just don't want to move to an area where the highpoint of my day is going to the Super Walmart looking for fresh asparagus. Or going to the liquor store to pick up another bottle of Jack.
Also agree. Sounds like something I would write.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:35 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,353,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Yes.....totally agree. One fact I must mention is that the COL is high where I live in comparison to other towns in DE and other states as well. HOA fees are sky high in some developments around here (think thousands) that are already asking ridiculous prices for homes that really aren't built that well. Oh, and groceries and dining out--always higher here. My husband and I often travel up and down the east coast, and we're always impressed by how much cheaper groceries are in other states (especially down south). Even Dunkin' Donuts is very costly here. I have not visited a Dunkin' with prices as high as the one in Bethany, even though they have a wonderfully managed establishment.

We have State Farm and our car insurance rates keep going up even though we both have spotless driving and credit records, are married and forty-something, with no kids. He called and asked why--the reason?? .

beachliz, are you talking about areas near the beach that are so high with insurance and other COL prices? I know my car insurance here in the burbs outside of Philly went up $700 per year after moving from Chester County (Kennett Square). Can I assume that areas more Western in Sussex and Kent Counties are a bit lower?
Thanks!

Old 02-26-2018, 03:19 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,915,019 times
Hi, soulsurv! Yes, I am talking about the beach areas. I've lived at the beach since 2001 (little more inland before that) so I really don't have much to compare it to as far as car insurance goes--but I know the beach areas are very densely populated and become more so with each passing year.

I'd assume it would be cheaper to live in western Sussex and Kent counties. I know it's cheaper when we shop and dine out that way. You can definitely get more house and land for your money.

Old 02-26-2018, 04:46 PM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Quote:
For instance, while lower RE taxes you can easily have equal HOA fees. .
Different strokes for different folks. Not everyone is looking for a home having a homeowners association. As said, everybody's situation is different. My prospective is probably unlike any other on here. I've always been here in Kent County, have no HOA, am not impressed with night-life or lah-de-dah places, am content with the price of groceries and gas, investments are secure and growing, SS is not taxed, and our total real estate tax bill is less than $1,000/year including town and county. The icing on the case, is we have absolutely NO crime in our little town. For us, it's perfect. For others, maybe not.

Last edited by rdlr; 02-26-2018 at 04:59 PM..

Old 02-27-2018, 07:16 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,523,098 times
rdlr - I have been thru your town several times. As I am sure I have told you I like it a lot. But it is really unique for central Delaware. Very old vernacular Delaware. Unfortunately much of new Delaware is nothing like it. Much of the Delaware I see is growth gone wild with little long range planning.

As for HOAs, in most new communities you have no choice. That is the way the community is designed. A lot of people don't understand that HOAs in most communities own everything. It's not just a club house and maybe a pool. It is also the streets, the storm sewers, retaining ponds, street lights, maybe large propane tanks that the HOAs homes have to purchase from. And the list goes on.

And a new HOA is most likely not going to have extraordinary costs but an older one will. For instance in my southern NJ community the storm sewers are filling with silt. The city I live in owns them and will maintain them. In a HOA the homeowners will end up with this cost. The city plows the snow. When my street light goes out I send an email to the power company and it gets fixed the next day. And the list goes on.

And I don't see Delaware as senior friendly. No senior break unless residency for 10 years. And a 2% tax when you both buy and sell a property (4%). High fees on car purchases. And the list goes on.

All I am saying is people have to do the math for any area they are considering moving.

Last edited by NJBoy3; 02-27-2018 at 07:28 AM..

Old 02-27-2018, 07:54 AM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Quote:
All I am saying is people have to do the math for any area they are considering moving.
Exactly...I agree. Our infrastructure actually can't keep up with the huge influx of transferees moving in, as it is. It's a runaway train here. Good for my business, but I can't keep up.

There are some newer subdivisions, and I've been in them, that have no homeowner associations (county or town/city maintained), and they are much in demand (in Kent County). And, some have only voluntary associations. You really have to know the area, or rely on a Realtor to root those out...(I'm not a Realtor-disclaimer).

Last edited by rdlr; 02-27-2018 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware