Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 08:48 AM

936 posts, read 2,082,088 times

Advertisements

I meant to write Why on the title.

I saw a few new listings and asked my Realtor to contact the listing Realtor immediately only to find out that they were pending. Only after a few hours? And they tend to closed at much lower price than the market. And there were properties on sold record but I never saw them listed. Could you please explain?

Went on pending after a few hours:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Fountain-V...8/home/3862318

Also went on pending after a few hours:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Fountain-V...8/home/3820326
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2015, 09:07 AM

2,600 posts, read 8,791,531 times
The term used for this is called “Off-market”.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:17 AM

1,540 posts, read 1,125,105 times
If you are looking at listings on Zillow or realtor.com there is a 2-7 delay to get listings on public websites. Realtor regulations require Realtors to put homes on the MLS FIRST and they filter from there to all of the public websites sometimes taking a couple days. Your thread is the prime reason the public should work with a Realtor to find a home because a Realtor can auto set up listings to be sent to you as soon as they hit the MLS in realtime.

Old 08-20-2015, 09:33 AM

17,711 posts, read 29,817,888 times
Default Gaming the system

There are websites that rank agents by Days on Market.
So, some agents game the system by arranging for the house to be under contract with no MLS listing.
Then, with the closing scheduled for Thursday afternoon, they put it into the MLS on Thursday morning and marked it sold that evening.
Voila! DoM = 1. Aren't they awesome?!

For example:
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/39...13295282_zpid/
New build. Went under contract soon after construction started. Then, seven months later, "it sold in just 2 days".

Last edited by davebarnes; 08-20-2015 at 10:47 AM..

Old 08-20-2015, 09:41 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
I suspect you are looking at 'pocket listings', where a Realtor takes a listing and then markets it among contacts and clients - before listing it on MLS.

Old 08-20-2015, 10:01 AM

991 posts, read 1,520,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
I suspect you are looking at 'pocket listings', where a Realtor takes a listing and then markets it among contacts and clients - before listing it on MLS.
^^^^ This!

Old 08-20-2015, 10:41 AM

19,437 posts, read 27,832,770 times
One listing, according to the description, needs a total remodel. No toilets, floors, etc,

The other needs extensive remodeling.

I suspect they were sold to a flipper.

Old 08-20-2015, 01:26 PM

5,662 posts, read 10,741,856 times
Could also be a FSBO where they worked with an agent on the buyer side. The agent put the info into the MLS for both production reasons and comp reasons.

Old 08-20-2015, 04:45 PM

8,674 posts, read 22,916,596 times
Many times a Realtor will put up a sign, "soon to be listed.". The offers will beat the listing.

Old 08-20-2015, 05:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
A top notch Realtor will have several potential buyers standing by for a certain type home in a certain area of town. He has let top agents in other offices as well as his own know that he is looking for a certain type and located home. As soon as that home becomes available he is notified, and the home is sold.

In the cases above with two homes needing extensive work to even be lived in, there are buyers standing by, and when they hit the market they are sold to these special buyers. When I was an investment Real Estate Broker before I retired, agents all knew that I would buy any homes like that if the price was right, and when they listed them they would call me. If he price was right, they knew they had a sale. I had my own part time crew, that would get them into shape to sell to my investors as rentals, making a nice profit in the process.

They only show up on the MLS as it is a requirement, and to show that a certain agent gets that type of property sold quick. Helps him/her attract more listings, and helps give comps for that type and condition of property to help determine value for his/her next listing.

If you are looking for a real run down house at a cheap price to be able to have a cheap home for your family, you are going to find it nearly impossible as he pros like I was, have first chance as it is a fast sale for an agent, a quick closing and a fast commission. Unless you have cash, they are impossible to finance, and agents and owners don't want to fool around for a couple of months to have the sale fall through due to financing not being available.

People like me, have cash available or use a line of credit to buy. I had two $500,000 lines of credit to be able to buy and fix up any home or other property. All I had to do was write a check against one of those lines of credit if I had my cash tied up at the time. A normal person, does not have the kind of track record to be able to compete with the pros.

This may not sound fair, but that is how the world works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate