Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2018, 02:07 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,052,756 times

Advertisements

We bought a second home in Ocean View a few months ago and while there are a lot of weekly rentals in our development, the only thing I notice are the increased amount of cars.

I walk my dogs at various times, including late at night, and have never seen any sign of partying but this seems to be an area that appeals to family groups and the only people I see out late at night are other dog walkers.

I would suggest driving through any development you are interested in on a Saturday night ---perhaps even park and walk around to get a feel for weekend activity in the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2018, 02:33 PM

439 posts, read 426,321 times
we are interested in Millville By The Sea but we feel the same way. If weekly rentals are allowed we will pass. Monthly yes but not interested in people coming in every week.

Old 08-14-2018, 05:06 PM

829 posts, read 630,524 times
Another issue to consider if the development has a pool is that the dynamics can be very different if they allow weekly rentals. We've stayed at some hotels where the pool area was so wild and rowdy that we avoided using it. I really wouldn't welcome that in my own home community. We bought in a community with no pool for a variety of reasons - low HOA costs and hoping it would be more residential in nature with local ownership and less attractive as rentals.

Old 08-14-2018, 06:30 PM

374 posts, read 518,064 times
A number of developments (including the one in Lewes in which I live) requires a minimum of a 12 month lease to rent. However, others nearby have no such requirement, so yes, I would check to see what is allowed in the community given this is a concern for you.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:02 PM

13,058 posts, read 18,141,425 times
We have both indoor and outdoor pools and rentals. We don't have rental restrictions but a very good board and we tolerate little to no nonsense at all. For example, a renter gets one warning and then they shut the pool access and the clubhouse access for the second infraction. We have had only 2 problems in the 5.5 year I am here and both were remedied by the next morning.

We also have only a few rentals in the community that are weekly, 3 to be precise. The other 6 are yearly.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:06 AM

85 posts, read 132,759 times
all I am saying is that it would be a good idea to check out the 'rules' in a development before you buy. else, you might wind up spending >$500k to live next door to a party house filled with new people every week.

Old 08-17-2018, 12:11 PM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i am layla View Post
all I am saying is that it would be a good idea to check out the 'rules' in a development before you buy. else, you might wind up spending >$500k to live next door to a party house filled with new people every week.
We live in a small town and we live next to a gathering place falling under the description of a "church". The members are there about 3-4 nights/week, sometimes until after 11 p.m. and all day Sunday from 10 a.m. to 3-4 p.m, depending upon when they are finished their meeting/service, cooking, eating, and loading the dumpsters with trash. The drumming, loud speakers, and speeding cars up and down their driveway next to our house is very disturbing. Our thick plaster walls are no match for the thumping and banging. Our only hope is that soon, they will 'go out of business' and won't be able to afford the rent. We have a noise ordinance, but it's very loosely written and the town police won't touch it. So.....not only renters should you look out for, but also other inconsiderate people. This new dilemma is ruining our quality of life, and we've been here 34 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware