Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2019, 01:37 PM

250 posts, read 358,781 times

Advertisements

I know that Wilmington has a reputation of being dangerous, but I am curious what areas within the city itself are safe (by city standards of course)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2019, 03:38 AM

77 posts, read 101,358 times
This was discussed recently, I'd search the forum for that thread.

Old 02-07-2019, 05:24 PM

22,450 posts, read 11,977,478 times
Here is a recent thread that discusses this:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/delaw...ington-de.html

As I said in that thread, we were considering moving to Wilmington but changed our minds. If we had gone there, we would have lived in the 19801 zip code by the Christina Riverfront. The area is walkable. when it comes to restaurants, shopping and entertainment. I once found a crime map for Wilmington and that area has very low crime.

Also, Trolley Square is a good area with lots of young people. Plus, there are lots of bars and restaurants.

As for Wilmington being "dangerous". Yes, like any city, there are neighborhoods with high crime rates. The media seems to portray Wilmington as a war zone, which, IMO is an exaggeration. When we first visited there, we were surprised to find that the cabs don't have bullet proof partitions. Neither do the hotel front desks. In fact, we had a chance to talk to a Wilmington Police Department Captain who told us that the stories about Wilmington being dangerous were overblown.

People more familiar with Wilmington will hopefully come into this thread and give you more details about safe areas.

Old 02-08-2019, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver4242 View Post
This was discussed recently, I'd search the forum for that thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Here is a recent thread that discusses this:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/delaw...ington-de.html

As I said in that thread, we were considering moving to Wilmington but changed our minds. If we had gone there, we would have lived in the 19801 zip code by the Christina Riverfront. The area is walkable. when it comes to restaurants, shopping and entertainment. I once found a crime map for Wilmington and that area has very low crime.

Also, Trolley Square is a good area with lots of young people. Plus, there are lots of bars and restaurants.

As for Wilmington being "dangerous". Yes, like any city, there are neighborhoods with high crime rates. The media seems to portray Wilmington as a war zone, which, IMO is an exaggeration. When we first visited there, we were surprised to find that the cabs don't have bullet proof partitions. Neither do the hotel front desks. In fact, we had a chance to talk to a Wilmington Police Department Captain who told us that the stories about Wilmington being dangerous were overblown.

People more familiar with Wilmington will hopefully come into this thread and give you more details about safe areas.
Thank you! I checked it out and it was very helpful!

One area that i did not see mentioned that I am curious about, is the area surrounding the University of Delaware Campus in Wilmington to the SW, S, and SE? What are those areas like? I guess it would be Westmoreland, The Flats, and Wawaset Park from google maps?

Old 02-08-2019, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellaGoose View Post
Thank you! I checked it out and it was very helpful!

One area that i did not see mentioned that I am curious about, is the area surrounding the University of Delaware Campus in Wilmington to the SW, S, and SE? What are those areas like? I guess it would be Westmoreland, The Flats, and Wawaset Park from google maps?
As well as the Browntown area! Thanks!

Old 02-08-2019, 05:16 PM

22,450 posts, read 11,977,478 times
^^^^You're welcome.

Last I heard, Browntown is not a good area.

I hope someone with more familiarity with Wilmington will see this thread and give you more info.

Old 02-09-2019, 07:49 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,256,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
^^^^You're welcome.

Last I heard, Browntown is not a good area.

I hope someone with more familiarity with Wilmington will see this thread and give you more info.
I'll be working in Browntown and Hedgeville today, again. Lots of newer townhomes have been built in the Anchorage Street area. Seems fine to me, but I am only up there on days, no nights.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I'll be working in Browntown and Hedgeville today, again. Lots of newer townhomes have been built in the Anchorage Street area. Seems fine to me, but I am only up there on days, no nights.
Thanks!

Would you happen to know about the area surrounding the University of Delaware Campus in Wilmington to the SW, S, and SE? What are those areas like? I guess it would be Westmoreland, The Flats, and Wawaset Park from google maps?

Old 02-17-2019, 09:00 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Tried to DM you, Can you DM me. Please. TY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: