Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2019, 05:36 AM

14 posts, read 22,738 times

Advertisements

Awesome, and thanks for the "data-filled" answers! Super helpful.

We've got lots of other questions, but we'll do one at a time...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2019, 06:18 AM

OK, next question. Traffic near the beaches.

We hear it's really bad, but would like some details. We live about 10 minutes from Folly Beach in SC. If we leave before 9:30 in the summer, we can get down and find parking without too much hassle. If we wait, then we're in the 2-mile long parking lot on the one road that goes into Folly. And if we wait till early evening, it's not usually a problem. So even though, Folly traffic is "terrible", you can avoid much of it by timing your trip.

So what is the Delaware beach traffic like? Is it backed up all day, every day in the summer? Is it worse on the weekends? If you plan to get there early in the morning, can you avoid congestion?

We're looking at Middletown, an hour or so away, but we don't mind getting an early start if that's what it takes. Our concern is just getting in and getting out, since we're not planning on living in that exact area.

TIA!

Old 04-29-2019, 09:00 AM

32,932 posts, read 36,351,383 times
It's probably the same. Some locals show up and leave early. The ones who live further away arrive later.* Never go to the beach for the day on Saturday. You know that.

*When my brother lived four hours from the beach, he had the kids in the car by 4 AM so that he didn't have to sit in traffic and get a good parking spot, but he was the one who had family T-shirts printed when they went to Disney World.

Old 04-29-2019, 10:06 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,911,661 times
Psychoma's post is right on the mark. I've lived in DE all my life (40-some years) with most of those years spent living near the beach and even spent a couple years living east of route one in Lewes. I have never evacuated in all those years or lost a home, a car, or had any real property damage to any of my homes or cars. We did have some siding come loose in a strong nor'easter years ago along with a fallen large cypress tree, but that's as bad as it's been....so far. I will add that we are seeing more and more strong storms though, but we are still nowhere near as hurricane prone as the southeast. '

Old 04-29-2019, 02:12 PM

1,680 posts, read 2,558,151 times
Regarding traffic near the beaches OP -

I live3 miles from downtown Lewes (on the West side of route 1). I avoid going out of my gated community during 3 day summer holidays. I would rather leave the traffic issues to the tourists. I have the entire rest of the year to go to the beach.

If I want to go into downtown Lewes or Rehoboth the new Lewes Bus terminal on route 1 is less than 1 1/2 miles from me without going out on route 1. Parking is free and I can use my senior Dart bus pass to use the bus all day at a net cost to me of about $1.26.

I leave the driving to someone else and avoid the hassle of looking for (and paying for) a parking place. The bus uses a bus lane and they move along route 1 much faster than the rest of the traffic.

If you live in DE, are retired and over 65 invest in a lifetime pass to the state parks for about $65. That way you avoid day rates at the state parks like Cape Henlopen and their ocean and bayside beaches and parking are free once you enter the state park. You can even borrow bikes at Cape Henlopen for 2 hours at no cost to explore the park.

If I was visiting the area for just a day trip I might park at the park and ride on route 1 in Lewes and use the bus system to explore downtown Lewes or Rehoboth Beach. If I had lots of beach gear I would bring my own bikes and drive into Cape Henlopen State Park by 8am and use my own bikes to explore Lewes outside of the park. The bike paths are excellent in and around Lewes.

The key is to get here early, park your vehicle and then use your bikes or the Dart bus to get around the area.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:10 PM

512 posts, read 442,587 times
It's been a while since any comments were posted on this thread so I'm trying to revive it as there's still so much to learn about retiring in DE. For the most part, from what I have been reading, most of those who moved to DE seem to be happy with their decision. I was wondering if there's anyone out there who regrets their move to DE?

Also, there were numerous comments about retiring in the DE beaches area, but I'm sure there are many of us who are considering other parts of DE; for me, I'm also looking in the North Wilmington area as it would be close to the Philly for cultural events and other conveniences. And it's not like I would go to the beach every day, so living an hr. to two hrs. away would be ok with me.

Old 06-09-2019, 12:26 PM

Thanks for resurrecting the thread. We continue to research, recently focusing on Dover. It's close enough to the beaches and also Philly, Baltimore, DC. Size of the the city means more amenities than Middletown.
I'd love to hear from residents of Dover as to what you like and don't like!

Old 06-09-2019, 12:49 PM

512 posts, read 442,587 times
Dover has also been on my list so I will also be interested in reading more about it.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:09 PM

26 posts, read 31,427 times
What about the difference in taxes between NJ and DE?

Old 06-14-2019, 03:13 PM

26 posts, read 31,427 times
NJBoy3, no difference between NJ and DE taxes?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware