Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2021, 02:53 PM

829 posts, read 629,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Nuts--Can't blame you though! I waited for months to see my hairdresser because of covid. I looked pretty scraggly by the time I went.

My husband no longer goes to the hairdresser and has me cut his hair instead. He was the one who had covid bad over a year ago and seems to catch it easier and was very ill. So....I mask up indoors to protect him and others, not so much me because all I ever got when he had covid was a rash.

lyndyb--I was so angry reading your post about the man at Super G and then when I read it was the one near me...ugh. I didn't realize we had people like that around here. This was one of the first areas where I saw masks before it was even mandated (with me being one of the very first ones to start wearing one!). That guy needs to learn how to mind his own business. Not sure how it affects him that others choose to still mask up.
Aww, thanks, beachliz. Pre-vaccine, I think the town of Bethany was doing a great job of mandating masks and every person we encountered the times we'd gone there were compliant - we saw not a single person not wearing a mask to an impressive extent. One benefit of wearing a mask is that people can't see much of your face, so I laughed as I passed the man in the parking lot.

We were in the parking lot of Peppers in Milton last fall, talking to our neighbors before we got back in our vehicles (we'd traveled separately to go to buy plants for a joint project). A man rolled past in his truck, stopped and leaned out and told us we didn't need to wear masks - we were outside. We just said "thank you" and turned back to our conversation. I haven't figured out why it bothers some people to see others masked up.

Seaponies - my husband wants to keep our appointment. I may go and wear my mask. I know all the staff are vaccinated, but who knows about the customers? It won't surprise me if the owner of the salon has had her staff return to masking. I will tell you that I've never been more glad that I don't color my hair than during this pandemic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2021, 04:21 PM

13,057 posts, read 18,125,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
Aww, thanks, beachliz. Pre-vaccine, I think the town of Bethany was doing a great job of mandating masks and every person we encountered the times we'd gone there were compliant - we saw not a single person not wearing a mask to an impressive extent. One benefit of wearing a mask is that people can't see much of your face, so I laughed as I passed the man in the parking lot.

We were in the parking lot of Peppers in Milton last fall, talking to our neighbors before we got back in our vehicles (we'd traveled separately to go to buy plants for a joint project). A man rolled past in his truck, stopped and leaned out and told us we didn't need to wear masks - we were outside. We just said "thank you" and turned back to our conversation. I haven't figured out why it bothers some people to see others masked up.

Seaponies - my husband wants to keep our appointment. I may go and wear my mask. I know all the staff are vaccinated, but who knows about the customers? It won't surprise me if the owner of the salon has had her staff return to masking. I will tell you that I've never been more glad that I don't color my hair than during this pandemic.
Every day it is the same routine. The only difference is where I band my hair. I am reluctant now to go because while I look like a child with a pony tail, I normally have a short-ish haircut of one type or another and then I have no choice other than to maintain it. I may look like Methuselah now but I have fine hair and once it gets just a little too long it just hangs.

I am watching with great interest the mask controversy at the schools. Good points raised on both sides, but boy are they getting nasty.

Last edited by nuts2uiam; 08-21-2021 at 04:59 PM..

Old 08-21-2021, 07:14 PM

153 posts, read 319,484 times
Lyndyb - You may want to call the salon and ask if they wear masks inside or have a sign on the door that all customers must wear a mask, since it's up to each business.

You may be aware already but there have been reports of vaccinated people being more spreaders of covid than non-vaccinated. Just because someone is vaccinated doesn't mean they can't spread it nor can a vaccinated person not catch it again. The mainstream media hasn't been forthcoming about all the risks and what is really happening all around the world.

Beachliz - Sorry to hear that your husband had covid. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of treatment did he receive ? And what kind of symptoms did he have ?

Old 08-22-2021, 06:11 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,913,022 times
Hi, Seaponies! My husband had covid in early March 2020; he caught it from a co-worker before covid was a "thing" and they shared a small office space. He thought he had the flu at first and went to the doctor, but he tested negative for the flu. No treatment since it was something viral....looking back, he should have been in the hospital. Lots and lots of coughing, shortness of breath, would sleep for 18 hours a day, no appetite, and missed work for almost two weeks. He didn't find out until a couple months later that he had had covid. Tiredness and shortness of breath lasted for months and he lost twenty pounds and almost all his muscle mass. He was only 43 at the time, athletic, thin, and no health problems. Never a smoker. The good news is he did fully recover, but it was a long process. Thankfully, he is back to working out and running with me again.

Weird thing is, I was around him the entire time and it never really affected me other than a weird rash on my lower leg. I'm a couple years older than him too. We have since then had many friends who had covid (it hit the law enforcement community hard around here), some who barely had any issues and some who were hospitalized.

Old 08-22-2021, 10:52 AM

829 posts, read 629,902 times
You all may have already seen this, but I just recently noticed additional information being provided on the Delaware Coronavirus Page that provides the # of breakthrough cases, updated each Friday:

For the week ending 8/20, it says of the 485,033 vaccinated Delawareans, there have been 1,236 breakthrough cases, which represents roughly 3/10 of 1 percent.

https://myhealthycommunity.dhss.dela...ocations/state

Old 08-22-2021, 11:29 AM

153 posts, read 319,484 times
Quote:
You all may have already seen this, but I just recently noticed additional information being provided on the Delaware Coronavirus Page that provides the # of breakthrough cases, updated each Friday:

For the week ending 8/20, it says of the 485,033 vaccinated Delawareans, there have been 1,236 breakthrough cases, which represents roughly 3/10 of 1 percent.

Interesting statistics. I went to the website and it does say 3/10 of 1 percent, which I find surprisingly low. Data I see from all around the world is much higher, as high as 75% cases being breakthrough. The latest Maryland statistics for 8/8-8/15 say about 27% of all cases are breakthroughs in hospitalizations and death. So my guess is that Delaware is actually higher than what they are reporting. Time to keep our guards up.

Old 08-22-2021, 11:35 AM

12 posts, read 8,249 times
Lyndyb

Thanks for that information. I had been looking for a place to find that a few weeks ago and reached out to the Governors office and also the Public Health Department and never heard back from either. I think that this is important information to get out there so maybe people will realize that the vaccine really does work. I do wish they would go a bit further and break down the numbers of people who are hospitalized and critical and passed away between vaccinated and unvaccinated too. I think that is something most people would like to know. I know my mask won't be being retired any time soon.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:09 PM

Quote:

Ok. I actually had that added to the data this past Friday as they only report once a week on a Friday. We went from 904 to 1236 this week. I figured that people were tired of this but I will now add it. Beach Liz, you are echoing my thoughts we were at 2/10th of 1% and now we are at 3/10 of 1% in a week. I thought that was pretty low myself. OK so I will add break through to today's post.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:17 PM

Today's numbers over/under

NCC 68,493 + 140
KENT 19,942+ 76
SUSSEX 28,102+93

HOSPITIALIZED 185+10
CRITICAL 29 +2

BREAKTHROUGH 904 LAST WEEK
1236 THIS WEEK

According to DPH this is 3/10th of 1%

I am adding the breakthrough number to the daily quote. It is updated weekly on Friday.

Old 08-22-2021, 12:46 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,522,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
Hi, Seaponies! My husband had covid in early March 2020; he caught it from a co-worker before covid was a "thing" and they shared a small office space. He thought he had the flu at first and went to the doctor, but he tested negative for the flu. No treatment since it was something viral....looking back, he should have been in the hospital. Lots and lots of coughing, shortness of breath, would sleep for 18 hours a day, no appetite, and missed work for almost two weeks. He didn't find out until a couple months later that he had had covid. Tiredness and shortness of breath lasted for months and he lost twenty pounds and almost all his muscle mass. He was only 43 at the time, athletic, thin, and no health problems. Never a smoker. The good news is he did fully recover, but it was a long process. Thankfully, he is back to working out and running with me again.

Weird thing is, I was around him the entire time and it never really affected me other than a weird rash on my lower leg. I'm a couple years older than him too. We have since then had many friends who had covid (it hit the law enforcement community hard around here), some who barely had any issues and some who were hospitalized.

Beachliz - what did your "weird" rash look like? We're both vaccinated but my husband has a lingering rash on his arm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware