Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2020, 10:26 AM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimidae View Post
Yes, what is with this behavior? I've noticed more dogs off leash, and I've noticed younger people driving very recklessly; more than usual. I live in a neighborhood where people walk up the "main avenue" of the neighborhood frequently, though there are no official sidewalks. I was having a little after-dinner passagiato with my husband yesterday, and I saw a car drive into our neighborhood, pretend to side-swipe an older couple who were walking about 50 yards in front of us, and then get too close to us while driving fast. We both stared him down as he drove past, and he grinned at us. It just kind of made my heart sink.
What disgusting behavior!!!! I haven't observed the cars deliberately swerving...yet.....but I will report it if I do. I'll take pics as well if I can. It is criminal behavior that can and will be prosecuted by the police. I have had cars not give me the three foot berth that is mandated by DE law while I'm out cycling, but not very often. A friend of mine had her arm broken down by Holts Landing a couple years ago while she was running and a car decided it didn't want to give her any room when it drove by. They clipped her arm with the side mirror and kept driving. The cops tracked down the car and they were in BIG trouble. She wound up having multiple surgeries as well. I am buying a Go Pro for when I go out running and cycling. THAT will be a real game changer and not good news for anyone in my area who thinks trying to run over somebody is fun and games.

The off leash dogs....so you have noticed this as well. My sister lives upstate and she has reported an increase in them too ever since the pandemic. I report them to DNREC (if on state land) or animal control if it's not state land. I have reported a few while running at DE parks. I take pics of the dogs off leash, the owner, and then the car which has always had DE tags. I post it on my Facebook as well--I just cannot stand people who refuse to obey the law and don't care about endangering others. So many "friendly off leash dogs" have bitten people and other dogs which are leashed. One off leash, large dog charged me at a DE park a couple years ago and I started carrying (legal) protection. I was also jumped on by an off leash Border Collie which tore my $80 running tights and left a huge bruise and small cut on my leg. But--"he's so friendly" they said.....yeah well he might be, but how about you obey the darn law instead so I can run in peace and without injury!

I was at Holts Landing last week exploring the new trails and came across an elderly local couple I see often at another park. They have three (leashed) pug dogs they walk daily. They asked me if I had seen any off leash dogs because it has become such a problem. I hadn't, but they fear for their little dogs' safety and theirs as well. An off leash dog can trip or knock over an elderly person and hurt them badly even if it's "friendly", not to mention some dogs don't respond in kind to some off leash dog running up in their face. We need harsher punishments for off leash dogs. It IS state law they must be leashed everywhere except dog parks or private property. The leash law has been in effect at the state parks as long as I can remember, but now it is mandatory pretty much everywhere. Article below:

https://www.wdel.com/news/do-you-own...1fc6d88bf.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2020, 01:00 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,116,584 times
Just listening to the Governor at this moment and he said that while the number of cases in NCC are indeed hight by almost 100 cases, the Sussex County numbers are much worse. They extrapolated the numbers based upon # of homes, population, and cases are showing that in NCC the positive cases were 25 per 10K people, Kent County was 31.9 per 10K people and Sussex is at an astronomical 71.4 per 10K people. And that my friends is the answer.

He is sticking to the guidelines provided by the White House & CDC. As of today if all were perfect and it is not, we could start the 28 day countdown clock, and we would just hit the Friday of Memorial Day. We need to get to 14 days of declining numbers before we can start phase one, and our numbers are currently increasing.

Old 04-24-2020, 01:10 PM

1,916 posts, read 3,912,094 times
School is closed for the remainder of the school year; I saw this coming. This will be a very long summer break for me.
https://www.wmdt.com/2020/04/breakin...uZzDM55wwdE1b4

Oh, I now personally know somebody with the virus--an old friend from high school. She's not sure where she caught it, but she wasn't doing any risky activities and she was working from home. She's not on a vent and breathing fine so far, but she is very, very ill. She said it's 100 times worse than the flu.

Mentally, I have prepared myself to be on quarantine for the long haul. I just don't see any glimmer of hope with the numbers rising and other factors to consider.

Old 04-24-2020, 04:36 PM

829 posts, read 629,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachliz View Post
School is closed for the remainder of the school year; I saw this coming. This will be a very long summer break for me.
https://www.wmdt.com/2020/04/breakin...uZzDM55wwdE1b4

Oh, I now personally know somebody with the virus--an old friend from high school. She's not sure where she caught it, but she wasn't doing any risky activities and she was working from home. She's not on a vent and breathing fine so far, but she is very, very ill. She said it's 100 times worse than the flu.

Mentally, I have prepared myself to be on quarantine for the long haul. I just don't see any glimmer of hope with the numbers rising and other factors to consider.
I try to take it just one day at a time and not look into the future, as that can make it seem a bit endless. One friend has called this Groundhog Day and we're calling it another day in Coronaville.

I do hope your friend will be OK, beachliz - please keep us posted!

Old 04-24-2020, 05:23 PM

Rehoboth has cancelled the July 4th fireworks and all concerts til after July 4th pending what comes from the governor for after than timeframe.

Old 04-24-2020, 11:32 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuts2uiam View Post
Rehoboth has cancelled the July 4th fireworks and all concerts til after July 4th pending what comes from the governor for after than timeframe.
The fireworks cost quite a bit, so maybe not a bad idea. On the other hand, quite a few could watch them from a distance and and feel "normal". I'd be happy enough hearing some fireworks this year.

Gerania story. Years ago, my son was a lube shop manager and the property was the perfect place to watch the town fireworks. He decided that we should pack up the little Smokey grill, buy hot dogs, beer, and invite all of his grease guys. We did that for two years. They brought sides, and their girlfriends were nice. They tolerated me, the only old person there. Since my son had keys, girls got to use a bathroom. We toasted marshmallows, too. It was a lot of fun.

Old 04-25-2020, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
The fireworks cost quite a bit, so maybe not a bad idea. On the other hand, quite a few could watch them from a distance and and feel "normal". I'd be happy enough hearing some fireworks this year.

Gerania story. Years ago, my son was a lube shop manager and the property was the perfect place to watch the town fireworks. He decided that we should pack up the little Smokey grill, buy hot dogs, beer, and invite all of his grease guys. We did that for two years. They brought sides, and their girlfriends were nice. They tolerated me, the only old person there. Since my son had keys, girls got to use a bathroom. We toasted marshmallows, too. It was a lot of fun.
G, The perks of knowing someone. Love it. I admit, and no matter how I write this I am gong to sound like a snob, so I will just say it. When you come from where I do, these fireworks are pretty tiny. Our county on LI had the Grucci's Fireworks do a show every year. When we were kids and the area was not so built up, we could see them from our house. As adults, we used to go to the shopping mall parking garage and park on the top deck to see them. Then when we were first married we moved and lived in a co-op on a small river. They used to set up their show at the rivers edge and our complex included a garage roof facing the river that we would all congregate on with bar-b-que's and tables and chairs to watch the show. We were so close that the fire dept would stage up on our roof in the event the shell casings would land and start a fire.

Then of course the annual Macy's in NYC show. That said, I have only missed one year's fireworks downtown since we are here. We had company that weekend and they said they wanted to skip them. We are big believers in supporting the local community and I am more upset that the concerts have been cancelled than the fireworks. It is funny, we didn't even think about the fireworks being cancelled ,but did think about the music and of course the beach.

Old 04-26-2020, 11:13 AM

YIKES. The numbers are in for today and Sussex County is exceeding the NCC number of cases now.

NCC 1599
KENT 625
Sussex 1801

That number is very concerning.That is a steep incline over night.

Old 04-27-2020, 01:04 PM

Today's numbers Over/Under yesterday

NCC 1629 +30
KENT 652 +27
SUSSEX 1870 +69

Sussex better than doubled NCC.

Old 04-28-2020, 10:50 AM

Today's numbers Over/Under yesterday

NCC 1701 + 72
KENT 728 + 76
SUSSEX 2114 +244
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware