Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2020, 05:55 PM

9,724 posts, read 14,266,863 times

Advertisements

I'm looking forward to Governor Carney's press conference tomorrow 4/17. At that time, he'll be explaining how we will begin opening our State up.....a little at a time. But, it looks like we'll be going through the rest of Spring and Summer with still, lots of precautions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2020, 07:09 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times
There was an interview tonight with the Governor of New Hampshire that I saw and he was asked about the beaches being open. I must admit that a beach in New Hampshire in my mind, while pretty, is not for swimming unless it is for the one day at the end of August where the water is above 60 degrees! Anyway, he replied that while he wants to open the beaches, he can ill afford to have the residents of Maine and Massachusetts, who were in worse shape than his state, come to his states beach while they are not where his state is in terms of recovery. So too, I am guessing that we will be in lock step with NJ and possibly NY who are still no where near the recovery process. Again, this is just my thinking. I will be listening too.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:24 PM

829 posts, read 629,414 times
I just saw a clip of Governor Carney on the WBOC news and apparently the schools will not reopen for this school year.

From a personal standpoint, I don't think I'm alone in saying how much I'd miss being able to go to the beach and fully enjoy all the wonders and delights of our great area. Even more, it makes me sad to think our towns - Rehoboth, Lewes, Bethany, Ocean City, etc. may not have a summer season, as I simply don't know how many of the restaurants and businesses would possibly survive that. A lot of them depend on tourism, much of which is no doubt out-of-state. It's a bit ironic that some of the best things about our area are the very things that will most likely make it very difficult for them to reopen safely as fast as we'd like for both ourselves and our area businesses.

Old 04-16-2020, 09:32 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
Correct. They would complain about getting the "Vapors" instead.
I think that had something to do with corsets.

Old 04-17-2020, 07:16 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,139,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndyb View Post
I just saw a clip of Governor Carney on the WBOC news and apparently the schools will not reopen for this school year.

From a personal standpoint, I don't think I'm alone in saying how much I'd miss being able to go to the beach and fully enjoy all the wonders and delights of our great area. Even more, it makes me sad to think our towns - Rehoboth, Lewes, Bethany, Ocean City, etc. may not have a summer season, as I simply don't know how many of the restaurants and businesses would possibly survive that. A lot of them depend on tourism, much of which is no doubt out-of-state. It's a bit ironic that some of the best things about our area are the very things that will most likely make it very difficult for them to reopen safely as fast as we'd like for both ourselves and our area businesses.
I'm wondering if at the very least they may not open hotels/motels for a while longer but allow most other businesses to open including parks/beaches etc.. Not so good for most seasonal businesses, but a halfway decent start for those businesses that are usually open most of the year here in Sussex.

Old 04-17-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering if at the very least they may not open hotels/motels for a while longer but allow most other businesses to open including parks/beaches etc.. Not so good for most seasonal businesses, but a halfway decent start for those businesses that are usually open most of the year here in Sussex.
Here's to hoping! I'm sure our local leaders have been thinking about little but this and we'll hope and pray that they have some good ideas how to go about this challenge. I don't envy them the task!!

Old 04-19-2020, 09:53 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Has your governor said anything new about out-of-state visitors. I know I have reservations in May (Kent County) that I will have to cancel because he will send the police to hunt me down like a dog if I show up with out of state plates on your roads but it's his follow-up 14 day quarantine that gets me. Who is going to go to Delaware from out of state if they have to 1) pay for and 2) lock themselves in a hotel room for the entire length of their trip?

Non-essential travel starts in Phase 2 of the federal plan but in the case of Delaware, I have no clue what date Phase 2 will even come close to starting in order to reschedule my trip. I'm not going there in the summer. I spend my entire visit in the Bombay Hook wildlife refuge (wildlife drive still open), at Cape Henlopen and driving around taking photos of barns from my car. I eat in my hotel room (delivery or take-out). I go the last week of April and in the beginning of May normally for the birds there at that time of year, the lack of children (normally still in school), the lack of mosquitoes and because it's easier to photograph the barns in planting season. I steer clear of Rehoboth and its traffic. I'd try the first week of June with a mosquito net if I didn't think your governor was going to come after me. I really like visiting Delaware.

My state (TN) opens up for business in May. Tourism is the 2nd largest industry in the state. My county in my state has had a total of 15 cases and 1 death. 11 People have recovered. That makes a grand total of 3 people who currently have the virus in my entire county. I'm not going to infect you. I'm retired and live alone. I don't even know anyone in my state who was or is infected. I have masks and gloves to bring with me. But, tomorrow I will cancel my reservations because of the uncertainty as to how I'd be treated as a visitor.

I just checked the Visit Delaware website. It says:

"In 2018, there were 9.2 million visitors to the State of Delaware (I was one of them). The Delaware tourism industry is the 4th largest private employer in the state, accounting for 44,030 jobs. The tourism industry generated $545.1 million in tax revenue. Without tourism, each Delaware household would pay an additional $1,562 in taxes."

Sooooo, have any of your politicians indicated you'll pay more taxes next year???

Old 04-20-2020, 08:45 AM

Depending on when in May you have a reservation, you may want to contact the hotel where you've got a reservation, as they may not be open during the time you're planning to visit. I don't think any of us can really contemplate if they will lift some of the restrictions on 5/15 or if they'll keep them in place. I've attached a link that will take you to a site where you can potentially watch for any updates.

https://news.delaware.gov/2020/04/06...-term-rentals/

"Commercial lodging in Delaware will remain closed through May 15, or until the public health threat is eliminated. The order exempts certain Delawareans and essential workers who may need access to short-term rental units. That list of exemptions includes caretakers with family members nearby, health care providers, journalists, and Delawareans with public housing vouchers."

Please don't take these measures personally. They were no doubt mandated to ensure the population doesn't expand beyond the ability the small medical resources are equipped to handle, particularly in Sussex County. I don't think this is specific to Delaware, but to other beach areas up and down the east coast.

Sorry this is potentially spoiling your plans. I totally get it, as it's spoiled vacation plans of just about everyone I know who was planning a vacation somewhere that was cancelled or shut down to visitors, including me. We locals were also really looking forward to the "shoulder season" before our towns got more crowded and we're losing quite a bit of that (as the beaches are closed to residents too) - but all to try to stay safe and healthy. If May doesn't work out for you, I'd highly recommend September or October, which are beautiful here.

Old 04-20-2020, 07:02 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,873,251 times
LauraC……...I'm very glad that your county has had so few cases, I really am. But have you seen Delaware statistics? Here is the latest.

"Of the 2,745 COVID-19 cases, a total that includes current and former ones, there are 1,229 involving New Castle Countians, 1,055 involving Sussex Countians, 430 involving Kent Countians and 31 involving people whose residence is unknown. There have been 43 deaths in New Castle County, nine in Kent County and 30 in Sussex County." That's a lot for a very small state of 3 counties.

Unfortunately many people don't follow rules of social distancing and sanitizing. I have seen that many places around here. Had to go to Sam's Club the other day and the parking lot was absolutely full. I stayed in the car with husband going in with mask, gloves and hand sanitizer. But as I sat in the car I saw many people going in with no masks and people walking out with their purchases following behind each other less than 6'. Anyway, I won't bore you with what all I have seen (and my opinions of the protesters standing shoulder to shoulder with no masks, etc), but I implore you to reconsider your disappointment and, like lindyb said, try this fall instead. It is really beautiful in the fall and still a lot of wildlife to see.

Believe me I have had to give up several plans this year for trips that I planned to take, as have many of my friends. But I stayed away to keep others as well as myself safe. You might feel fine, but that doesn't mean you aren't a carrier. You can very quickly come in contact with someone who is, as well. What about the people you come in contact with on your way here. Or are you planning to not stop, eat, go to the bathroom, or sleep during the trip?

Old 04-20-2020, 11:47 PM

32,940 posts, read 36,369,350 times
Rothbear, my son hasn't let me go to a store in weeks! He's quite sure that would kill me. He goes out to do battle with the unprepared, strips to his underwear at the door, then we wash and wipe everything that has come into the house. We were both sick for weeks, but he's still fairly young, am I'm not.

I'm not sure what wins here. I've been sick many, many times in my life and have immunity to some things, but he's younger and stronger than I am.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware