Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 10:24 PM

68 posts, read 84,450 times

Advertisements

Hi Every body,

Please help me separate the truth and the lies on this sensitive topic. Recent information discussing the serious amounts of poisoned chemicals and water are till this day just sitting at there sites. Apparently chemical companys small and large have been dumping these poisons in Delaware for years. Delaware has many of these what are now called Superfund cleanup sites. Does this help explain all the terrible cancers in and around Delaware. Have these poisonous chemicals reached the great aquafers that provide Delaware with its drinking water? I noticed on the map of cleanup sites yet to be cleaned up are all over Delaware. Please give me some more history on these sites. Do they exsist? Why have they not been cleaned up? Is cancer higher here then in other places? How many years do you suppose this has been going on for? I would greatly appreciate and information on this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2020, 06:13 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvs820 View Post
Hi Every body,

Please help me separate the truth and the lies on this sensitive topic. Recent information discussing the serious amounts of poisoned chemicals and water are till this day just sitting at there sites. Apparently chemical companys small and large have been dumping these poisons in Delaware for years. Delaware has many of these what are now called Superfund cleanup sites. Does this help explain all the terrible cancers in and around Delaware. Have these poisonous chemicals reached the great aquafers that provide Delaware with its drinking water? I noticed on the map of cleanup sites yet to be cleaned up are all over Delaware. Please give me some more history on these sites. Do they exsist? Why have they not been cleaned up? Is cancer higher here then in other places? How many years do you suppose this has been going on for? I would greatly appreciate and information on this.
I am not sure what your purpose in posting here is. Reviewing your recent posts you have serious concerns about the quality of the water. Previous posts have you trying to find a home from Northern De. to the beach area and you have concerns about the health care. Forgive me for being blunt, but if you legitimately have that many concerns about a place to live clearly it is not a place you will ever have a nights rest in and you should move on.

Additionally, this is not a scientific based blog, although, there are many educated people here who can offer opinions on a variety of subjects many from years of experience from living here. IF you are truly looking for answers to questions such as those that you posed, then CD is not the best place to look. You need to go with a fact and science based website. Move on to another state and try there for nirvana and leave De. alone. You don't need to save us, we are very happy here.

Old 10-23-2020, 08:40 AM

Default Good Morning Nuts

Thank you for your kind words. I visit these forums to educate myself on where we will live later in life. My heart has always been in Delaware since I was born in Wilmington in 1959.We moved to Jersey when I was 7 years old. Three members of my family have been laid to rest at Silverbrook Cemetery in Wilmington (Lancaster Pike). I would visit my Mom's parents who resided on Bancroft Parkway in Wilmington. I would visit my grandparents every Summer for 2 weeks up until I was 25 years old. They to are resting in peace at Silverbrook. I just wanted to provide a little history of who I am and why I would like to return to my birthplace during our retirement years. I have always respected the opinions of the people on this site. I also have learned a great deal. I must say that the few people who answer my questions are sincere and true.What brought up my question was when last night Joe Biden mentioned that when his mother drove him to school she would have to wipe the oil off the windshield. I was just wondering if maybe Dupont Chemical had something to do with this over the years. When I Googled this a wealth of information appeared about the Contamination in Delaware's soil. I thought I would pose the question here and looked forward to receiving some answers. All I am doing is continueing my research on whether we should live out our remaining years in my beloved Delaware. I apoligize for my misspelled words.

Old 10-23-2020, 09:09 AM

26 posts, read 30,601 times
As I am a cancer survivor I looked into cancer rates before moving to Sussex County. This map, while now dated, helped me in my decision.

For more updated info see

https://statecancerprofiles.cancer.g...ap.noimage.php

Old 10-23-2020, 09:20 AM

Default Thank you

Hello, Thank you for this great information. I appreciate your taking the time to respond to my inquiry.As I mentioned earlier this forum can be a great source of information. I am very happy you survived your illness.I wish you continued good health thanks again

Old 10-23-2020, 11:51 AM

23,286 posts, read 18,810,120 times
Quote:
Hi Every body,

No, superfund site contamination doesn't explain ALL cancers occurring in a community. There can certainly be conjecture, but there isn't always a direct link between a contaminant and cancer much as people hope to find it. Why not get some basic information right from the horse's mouth? You can get basic information about the Superfund program, list of sites, history, what the contaminants were, why they were a concern, what type of remediation was or was not done, links to community information, and the status of each site through the link below. You can look them up by state:

https://www.epa.gov/superfund

For Delaware:

https://www.epa.gov/de/list-superfund-sites-delaware

Old 10-23-2020, 01:44 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,108,582 times
Quote:
Thank you for your kind words. I visit these forums to educate myself on where we will live later in life. My heart has always been in Delaware since I was born in Wilmington in 1959.We moved to Jersey when I was 7 years old. Three members of my family have been laid to rest at Silverbrook Cemetery in Wilmington (Lancaster Pike). I would visit my Mom's parents who resided on Bancroft Parkway in Wilmington. I would visit my grandparents every Summer for 2 weeks up until I was 25 years old. They to are resting in peace at Silverbrook. I just wanted to provide a little history of who I am and why I would like to return to my birthplace during our retirement years. I have always respected the opinions of the people on this site. I also have learned a great deal. I must say that the few people who answer my questions are sincere and true.What brought up my question was when last night Joe Biden mentioned that when his mother drove him to school she would have to wipe the oil off the windshield. I was just wondering if maybe Dupont Chemical had something to do with this over the years. When I Googled this a wealth of information appeared about the Contamination in Delaware's soil. I thought I would pose the question here and looked forward to receiving some answers. All I am doing is continueing my research on whether we should live out our remaining years in my beloved Delaware. I apoligize for my misspelled words.
I recall your history from a prior thread. I sincerely apologize if you were offended by my post, but the truth is that given your history with this state, if you have that many doubts about Delaware- it probably isn't the place for you. So, the former VP brings up a memory from his child hood and you google soil contamination in De.
There are just so many things that you can worry about or you will make youself crazy because there are no right or wrong answers, to many things. You live in NJ for goodness sake, do you really think your state is in better shape than De in the things you are posting about? I come from Long Island and there are and were toxic plumes, brownfields, lead, chemicals and all sorts of things going on there too.

Let me explain one thing, lest you think I am picking on you. We spent 2.5 years visiting here in every month but January, staying between a weekend and two weeks, trying to find the best fit for us. We wanted the beach so Southern Delaware was the only place we looked. But I educated myself on all things related to this area, costs of utilities, housing types, HOA, health care, things to do, the history of the area, land lease vs. fee simple, distance to grocery stores, and distance from things too, and many others. CD was my source for some things such as cable providers and irrigation. We asked about health care on CD. Then while in the area using the results of what I had researched here and elsewhere, while at dinner and just walking around, we asked random people if they lived here and explained where we were in the process and what questions we had. The vast number of people were incredibly helpful.

You need to prioritize what is important to you and move on and make a decision based upon the wealth of information that you have gathered in 4 years. OR don't move on, but if you don't stop at some point you will be in NJ for the rest of your life. There will always be another piece of info that you will stumble upon that might help tip the scales but at some point, you need to be at peace with your decision based upon the best information you have at that time.

Old 10-28-2020, 12:48 PM

10,300 posts, read 6,832,149 times
OP~
I've never been to Delaware, but I have been involved in "Superfund Sites."

I see your concern is with soil. That's fine to investigate, but the much larger monster is "ground water quality."

Remediation for soil can be "in-situ" if it doesn't appear that the plume can escape the property lines, and with the permission of the various gov't oversight entities.
Now, with ground water, it can leach pollutants at the speed of light. Well, not really "light" but darn fast compared to soil. This means that the cost of remediation can really skyrocket. (Even monitoring wells can become cost prohibitive, after a few years.)

The other thing to consider is "cradle-to-grave" responsibility. This means you can find yourself defending yourself at 95 years of age, after selling the parcel in question, that you owned for 1 day. So, beware of properties that have/had underground storage tanks....(seen this happen...)

Another health concern would be "high tension overhead electrical lines." Some say the RF exposure can be causation of health issues...

Last edited by NORTY FLATZ; 10-28-2020 at 12:51 PM.. Reason: added stuff, ya know?

Old 10-28-2020, 02:24 PM

308 posts, read 297,214 times
Much of DE is contaminated.
Its not the cleanest land.
If you try to wipe your glass.
You'll get an oily hand.

DuPont likes to dump their stuff.
Into the water, I know, Its rough.
But people here are overly tough.
Because its rather bland.

So move down state.
But anticipate and contemplate
The traffic wait that makes you late.
Because of imported sand.

Just don't try to think,
For the water you'll drink.
Has been molested.
By the Chicken Man.

Old 11-04-2020, 02:16 PM

3,971 posts, read 4,038,049 times
If you do some google searches, you can find some information of possible cancer clusters in Delaware.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: