Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-17-2020, 07:34 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times

Advertisements

Having visited Wilmington on numerous occasions, I am somewhat familiar with the City. I read an article on the positive impact the news coverage has had on the city. They interviewed someone in the tourism industry there and they were talking about all the increase inquiries and how local stores and hotels are seeing upticks in business mainly associated with press, secret service, and likely job seekers and staffers around the the Biden Team. I know the coverage is on the Biden transition ( I am not trying to start a political debate) but the image of the City's skyline from south Wilmington is always impressive. As most of the news outlets show the same view. I was curious on why that location shows up in most if not all the news shots of the City? Also, if Biden builds a Presidential Library.. do most think Wilmington will be where it will be built?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2021, 09:09 PM

87 posts, read 128,942 times
Wilmington but not Wilmington proper the city -- probably Talleyville, Naamans, Greenville or any of the surrounding areas that are also referred to as Wilmington because of their postal service. - although by the time that is done -- who knows -- lots of rebuilding down by the waterfront in the City.

Old 01-07-2021, 06:04 AM

13,055 posts, read 18,099,795 times
The "pretty" will always win out over the ugly if a politician is posing there, so that view was most probably determined to be the most impressive view of the city. Like any city in America, there are good parts and bad parts. To a degree the area will see and uptick.
I live in Rehoboth and we have been told that the presidential helicopter may land at a local elementary school when he comes into town to his summer home. His home is situated in a neighborhood, probably not unlike your own, it is not a family compound like the Kennedys, Bushes or the Trumps. Their neighbors' home is literally within 20 - 30 feet. We heard rumors that offers have been made to neighbors on either side of his home, but that is just the rumor. They are currently using a white tent to screen visitors to the community and arrangements have to be made to admit them. They will be setting up a check point in the next few months.
It is expected that the press corp and all attached people will need rooms to stay when he visits and so that will be a slight boost to the room count. That said, I will go out on a limb and say I am guessing that arrangements are being made to reserve a block of rooms in the local hotels because in a normal summer rooms are scarce and expensive.

Old 01-07-2021, 06:27 PM

403 posts, read 295,620 times
There is no doubt that Wilmington is seeing an uptick in economic activity due to Biden.

I think Wilmington will always live in the shadow of Philadelphia. It is a rather small city (about 70,000 people) and while it has some merits, it is definitely a satellite city of Philadelphia. With that, large events etc. will always go to Philadelphia over Wilmington.

Biden and Jill Biden have both said Philadelphia is like their home after Delaware.

Jill Biden grew up in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania suburbs.

The most positive thing, is that economic activity from the press will certainly generate positive revenue for the city and potentially a new hotel and some more restaurants downtown.

Wilmington for a city of its size is kind of unimpressive with the lack of restaurants and vibrancy (and this is pre covid). Most of the city shuts down at 5 PM and this includes Trolley Square.

I know because I use to live in Wilmington.

I think a lot of it has to do with Delaware alcohol laws which has last call at 12:45 AM, which cuts back on nightlife culture and the growth of restaurants/events.

To me this is interesting because Pennsylvania liquor laws are often criticized but they have a much later last call, with certain venues able to serve until 3 AM.

It seems elementary but this is a huge driver of restaurant and event growth and culture of vibrancy.

Old 01-08-2021, 06:39 AM

8,226 posts, read 13,342,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penna76 View Post
There is no doubt that Wilmington is seeing an uptick in economic activity due to Biden.

I think Wilmington will always live in the shadow of Philadelphia. It is a rather small city (about 70,000 people) and while it has some merits, it is definitely a satellite city of Philadelphia. With that, large events etc. will always go to Philadelphia over Wilmington.

Biden and Jill Biden have both said Philadelphia is like their home after Delaware.

Jill Biden grew up in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania suburbs.

The most positive thing, is that economic activity from the press will certainly generate positive revenue for the city and potentially a new hotel and some more restaurants downtown.

Wilmington for a city of its size is kind of unimpressive with the lack of restaurants and vibrancy (and this is pre covid). Most of the city shuts down at 5 PM and this includes Trolley Square.

I know because I use to live in Wilmington.

I think a lot of it has to do with Delaware alcohol laws which has last call at 12:45 AM, which cuts back on nightlife culture and the growth of restaurants/events.

To me this is interesting because Pennsylvania liquor laws are often criticized but they have a much later last call, with certain venues able to serve until 3 AM.

It seems elementary but this is a huge driver of restaurant and event growth and culture of vibrancy.
I forgot that Biden was from PA and I didnt know his wife grew up in Philly. That being said, I wonder if Philly or its suburbs would be in cards for a Library as well? It certainly would put it in a more prominent location than Wilmington and the area of course both Cities are in the same Region... It will be interesting to see.

From a cost of living perspective.. is there benefit of living in Wilmington(downtown area) and working in Philly? Years ago, I considered living near the Wilmington Amtrak Station when pondering a job in downtown PHilly for that very reason.. I didnt get the job so it was a mute point. But my wife was nervous about living in PHilly and I thought Wilmington would offer an urban lifestyle from me without being overwhelming for her kind of "Philly lite".

Old 01-08-2021, 09:12 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,578,434 times
I don’t know about most other people, but when I hear ‘Wilmington’, I think of NC, not DE.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:21 AM

20,099 posts, read 9,003,220 times
My sympathies to those who live in Philly or Wilmington De.

Old 01-10-2021, 07:30 PM

829 posts, read 628,814 times
Looks like Biden has been given permission to use the parking lot at the Gordons Pond end of Cape Henlopen State Park as the Marine One Helipad by the DE Department of Natural Resources, which is just around the corner from his home:

https://www.capegazette.com/article/...ine-one/213886

Old 01-11-2021, 08:24 AM

307 posts, read 296,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don’t know about most other people, but when I hear ‘Wilmington’, I think of NC, not DE.

Yup. There even used to be a Capriottis there, but it closed years ago. I came back here from the RTP and can't wait to return. NC is best C.

Old 01-11-2021, 08:49 AM

32,923 posts, read 36,323,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That depends on where you're from. I'm from PA so this is Wilmington. How about Fayetteville? The answer is obviously AR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: