Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 09:22 PM

6 posts, read 23,061 times

Advertisements

Hi All-

I'm moving to Wilmington for work in August and so far have had a really difficult time researching neighborhoods and finding housing. I am a female in my late 20's and planning on living alone, and I know that Wilmington has a much higher crime rate than the national average. Safety is really important to me and I have never been to Delaware or Wilmington before, so I definitely need some feedback.

I'd love to live somewhere within walking distance of restaurants/bars/shopping if at all possible, but this isn't mandatory. So far, the only neighborhood I've really been alerted about is Trolley Square. If anyone could give me some advice about neighborhoods or nice places to live, I would be so appreciative!

Also, I ran into the apartmentratings.com website and it freaked me out, so if anyone has had experience with specific complexes, I would love to hear any feedback.

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2008, 11:37 AM

4 posts, read 21,601 times
Default Wilmington apartment

I live in Walden Townhomes in Pike Creek, which is a safe area of Wilmington.
The complex is on Limestone Road and I have 3 bedrooms, 2-1/2 bathrooms, fireplace, free parking right in front, and two balconies.

I have never worried about my safety where I live. The townhomes are good value for the money. One caution: although the management is excellent in answering repair calls, the workmanship is shoddy. I think they use cheap labor and get cheaply done work in return. I will renew my lease in August despite this.

Another caution is that the tenant pays for everything: trash pick-up, heat, and sewage! Plus, you have to have a full year of renter's insurance before you can sign a lease.

Good luck. I know that looking for an apartment is not easy.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 23,061 times
Default Thanks for the reply!

I looked up the Walden Townhomes on the internet and they seem lovely, I will definitely follow up on that. They do, however, seem to be a little larger than what I probably need--I'll be living alone so I don't know what I'd do with 3 bedrooms! I think 2 bedrooms is more what I am looking for. Anyone else have any advice?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by marama View Post
I live in Walden Townhomes in Pike Creek, which is a safe area of Wilmington.
The complex is on Limestone Road and I have 3 bedrooms, 2-1/2 bathrooms, fireplace, free parking right in front, and two balconies.

I have never worried about my safety where I live. The townhomes are good value for the money. One caution: although the management is excellent in answering repair calls, the workmanship is shoddy. I think they use cheap labor and get cheaply done work in return. I will renew my lease in August despite this.

Another caution is that the tenant pays for everything: trash pick-up, heat, and sewage! Plus, you have to have a full year of renter's insurance before you can sign a lease.

Good luck. I know that looking for an apartment is not easy.

Old 06-07-2008, 09:29 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,409 times
Search for something in area code 19806 if you want to live in the city itself.

Pike Creek is a nice area, but it is not in Wilmington.

If you need to, I can outline the bad areas of the city to stay away from in your search for a place. Just PM me - I'm pretty keen on the city as I'm probably the only native on the board.

Old 06-07-2008, 04:27 PM

1 posts, read 6,080 times
I'm on the same boat. I'll be moving there late July to start Law School and have no idea where to look for an apartment. So far, the only two buildings that seem decent are The Residences at Romney, and Korman Residential at Brandywine Hundred. Any other proper apartment buildings in the area? Any sort of insight would be appreciated! Thanks a lot!

Old 07-27-2008, 04:58 PM

Pike Creek most definitely is in Wilmington. If you look up any of the addresses of any one of the businessess in the Pike Creek Shopping Center or wanted to visit a friend in Limestone Hills, you'd be looking for something in Wilmington.

Granted Pike Creek is not in Wilmington proper, which is good because we do not pay the Wilmington wage tax. However, I live in Pike Creek and my mailing address is Wilmington, DE 19808.

Old 07-28-2008, 03:43 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marama View Post
Pike Creek most definitely is in Wilmington. If you look up any of the addresses of any one of the businessess in the Pike Creek Shopping Center or wanted to visit a friend in Limestone Hills, you'd be looking for something in Wilmington.

Granted Pike Creek is not in Wilmington proper, which is good because we do not pay the Wilmington wage tax. However, I live in Pike Creek and my mailing address is Wilmington, DE 19808.
Pike Creek is not in Wilmington. Pike Creek is about 7 miles from Wilmington.

You do NOT live in Wilmington, I'm sorry. You route through a Wilmington post office. You live in Pike Creek.

I'm surprised by how many people think they live in Wilmington when they do not! lol.

Old 08-01-2008, 05:39 PM

40 posts, read 168,556 times
Try Justison Landing on the Riverfront. There will be retail/food etc. and it its near Market Street with its shops. Also its a safe area.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:22 PM

Well I guess you know more than the post office and the various telephone companies, oh yeah, and the IRS. Thanks for sharing!

Old 08-11-2008, 06:07 PM

22 posts, read 100,082 times
Trolley Square is in the city located near bars, coffee shops, restaurants, shopping, parks, yoga, etc. I lived there many years ago and had a great experience. best of luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: