Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 09:01 AM

1 posts, read 5,699 times

Advertisements

We live in sussex county in a doublewide on perm. foundation, etc. Our ac just went up and I am very unhappy with our propane furnance (new in 2006). It is very loud and has been nothing but trouble since installed. So, we are considering changing the whole system since ac has to be replaced. Any thoughts on which is better? Heat pump or gas pack? I've had several people say heat pump is great and others that say it gets too cold here for a heat pump. Please help...we have to decide soon.

becky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 10:11 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,003,349 times
Becky, I can only tell you my personal experience.

We built a vacation home in far eastern Sussex County in the late 1980s with a heat pump. It was to be used mainly as a summer home. We are now using it year round, and the heat pump does not keep up. There needs to be some sort of auxiliary heat source, and with the price of electricity in DE it's quite expensive when it needs to take over for the heat pump.

Perhaps they've improved over the years. I really don't know.

Old 06-10-2008, 12:39 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,867,563 times
There are alot of different types of heat pump now that have more efficent backup for colder weather. But that might not be good enough efficency wise to make the overall cost work it in a cold climate. Goolge heat pump and see for yourself: or heating cost cpmaprisons.

Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 PM

392 posts, read 991,114 times
When I first moved to Sussex County my place had a heat pump. I was never warm and in cold weather it just ran and ran and ran with no heat coming out of it. I finally got rid of it and went to gas. I now live part time in Kent County and have a doublewide with baseboard hot water heat (gas) and I love it. No heat pumps for me.

Old 06-12-2008, 06:58 PM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times
A heat pump works above 40 degrees, so in the winter months a heat pump would struggle to produce enough heat. With the high cost of electricity in DE and the rising cost of propane it would be a tough call. We heat all winter with a pellet stove. and use the central AC in the summer. We heat all year (winter) for about $300, which is about what my neighbor was spending each month for propane.

Old 06-15-2008, 11:28 PM

903 posts, read 3,506,126 times
When we lived in NC (very central part, not coastal), many of our friends and neighbors were converting their heat pump systems to gas pack. The house we rent has both... gas for heat, heat pump for A/C and electric (of course). I think our propane bill was out of line (compared to our current neighbors), but can't help with specific DE comparisons.

We too are looking into alternative methods of heating with the house we're buying later this summer. Its not an easy decision... and good luck with your choice!

Mary

Old 06-16-2008, 12:39 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,667,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossc View Post
A heat pump works above 40 degrees, so in the winter months a heat pump would struggle to produce enough heat. With the high cost of electricity in DE and the rising cost of propane it would be a tough call. We heat all winter with a pellet stove. and use the central AC in the summer. We heat all year (winter) for about $300, which is about what my neighbor was spending each month for propane.
I love a pellet stove....as long as someone doesn't mind the lugging and storing of those 40 lb bags.
I have to say that the heat pumps are on many, many, homes in Myrtle
Beach and during Jan and Feb when it is 20s and 30s at night a good model works fine. I was completely surprised myself about that.
The older models.....do freeze up. But the new ones no one complains about. I do think Pellet stoves and Wood stoves save people a bunch of money.

Old 06-16-2008, 11:58 PM

903 posts, read 3,506,126 times
Hey Summering,

We are buying a home soon that is all electric, with heat pump as the "heat source". Can you private message me info on the pellet stove? I currently lug the 40 lb bags of salt for the water conditioner; suppose I could swap the contents of the bag. I mean, 40 lbs is 40 lbs, right????

Mary

Old 06-17-2008, 05:28 AM

957 posts, read 3,700,226 times
Any of the fireplace stores will be able to set you up with a pellet stove. Depending on the size of the house, you may need two of them. We heat 900sq/ft with a single small stove. I couldn't imagine an all electric house in DE....Ouch.

Old 06-17-2008, 07:17 AM

271 posts, read 995,750 times
Ross, I'm impressed and amazed that you can heat all winter for so few $$. That's great.

Also amazed that our bills for oil are about the same as your neighbor's propane per month. I thought, with our fairly large, 30 year old house, our oil was probably costing much more than propane. Is your neighbor's house large?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware