Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2008, 06:48 PM

1,729 posts, read 5,000,477 times

Advertisements

We have passed through Delaware several times, while going to other destinations, and have decided to spend a week there. We received a kit from the State, and are wondering where will be the best place for us be. A little bit about our needs: Good food, nice malls, beautiful art galleries, good accommodations, and quaint upscale little towns. Which one would be a better choice: Newark, New Castle, Wilmington, or Dover. We live near the water in New York City, and although we love the beach, it is not a priority unless all the things we mentioned above are found there. Your kind consideration to this matter is greatly appreciated, and thanking you in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2008, 09:47 PM

87 posts, read 311,969 times
I think your best bet would be northern Wilmington. Across from the Concord Mall (on Concord Pike/Route 202) there are 2-3 hotels which would be a good home base. I know one of the hotels is a Homewood Suites. You would have the mall across the street and there are a lot of good restaurants in and around Wilmington. By the Wilmington Riverfront, there are some good restaurants as well as a good contemporary art museum. The Delaware Art Museum is also worth a visit and is in Wilmington. Dover doesn't really have much so I would rule that out. Newark is more of a college town although I enjoy visiting and wandering around. Old New Castle (the town) is quaint but there isn't much there and I'm not sure it even has a hotel/motel.

Old 07-14-2008, 01:25 PM

40 posts, read 168,697 times
kat196 pretty much sumed up the places you mentioned. The beaches (Rehoboth and Dewey in particular) have everything you want except maybe the art galleries. Dewey has many concerts and Rehoboth has....... everything. Rehoboth has the outlets, as well as everything else on route 1 and rehoboth avenue and a few streets off of it have the small shops.

Old 07-14-2008, 02:45 PM

87 posts, read 311,969 times
Very true....if you're interested in going downstate, there are a lot of activities at this time of year and a lot of quaint towns.....Lewes, Rehoboth and Bethany are all upscale; I think Lewes defines quaint There are not any real museums per se but there are a LOT of beautiful art galleries in Rehoboth and Lewes (not sure of Bethany) and some beautiful upscale shops in both towns.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:45 PM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat196 View Post
Very true....if you're interested in going downstate, there are a lot of activities at this time of year and a lot of quaint towns.....Lewes, Rehoboth and Bethany are all upscale; I think Lewes defines quaint There are not any real museums per se but there are a LOT of beautiful art galleries in Rehoboth and Lewes (not sure of Bethany) and some beautiful upscale shops in both towns.
Not true.
I enjoy this one the most, in Lewes: Zwaanendael Museum
Tour Lewes, Delaware - Zwaanendael Museum (http://www.lewes.com/tour8.html - broken link)
and, in Lewes
http://www.historiclewes.org/
one of my favorite places in Lewes, is
http://www.lewes.com/tour23.html (broken link)
lots of history in Lewes
http://www.leweschamber.com/history.html (broken link)
I could go on, and on, and on.......
but I won't ....except for.....
Things to do in Dover: http://www.visitdover.com/

Last edited by rdlr; 07-14-2008 at 11:59 PM..

Old 07-15-2008, 09:14 PM

903 posts, read 3,507,256 times
Again, thanks, Rdlr, you are a wealth of information! We'll be heading to Lewes on a day trip soon; will definitely check out these websites!

You certainly ARE amazing!

Mary

Old 07-16-2008, 11:00 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,417,976 times
This would be an itinerary I would make for Delaware:

You're from New York, so I'm guessing you're not here for any sort of urban experience.

1. Stay at the Inn at Montchanin in Brandywine Hundred for a night... it's a very beautiful hilly area that's good for a relaxer.

2. Visit old New Castle. It's a quaint colonial town that's pretty well preserved, and has nice river views.

3. Do all your shopping at either Concord or Christiana Mall (tax free.)

4. Spend the rest of your time in either Rehoboth or Dewey beach.

Old 07-16-2008, 01:45 PM

1,729 posts, read 5,000,477 times
Smile Our Week in Delaware!

All you guys have been great and I thank you again. Now, we are going to start in North Wilmington, then New Castle, Lewes, and finally Rehoboth/Dewey and Bethany. Should we take Route 1 all the way down? Does Route 1 has lots of traffic and lights? About how far is North Wilmington to New Castle? N/C to Lewes? Lewes to Rehoboth/Dewey/Bethany? Would it be a good idea to make my accommodations all in one place, or should I split it in two places, therefore, we can cover everything without doing too much driving back and forth? And lastly, how far is from North Wilmington to the last beach in Delaware in terms of minutes/miles? I saw a multitude of restaurants in Lewes. Any recommendations? We are eclectic eaters who enjoy good food. All of you have a very nice day!!!!!!!!

Old 07-16-2008, 02:05 PM

9,729 posts, read 14,277,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
Would it be a good idea to make my accommodations all in one place, or should I split it in two places, therefore, we can cover everything without doing too much driving back and forth? And lastly, how far is from North Wilmington to the last beach in Delaware in terms of minutes/miles?
I'm on the run, Rubies, right now.........but I can tell you, I travel the state almost on a daily basis, from end to end. It's 97 miles long, so you can stay anywhere! If you prefer, you can stay in Dover, mid-way through the state. There are lots of hotels/motels there. Good Luck! Oh, yes, stay on Route 1. The Interstate ends just south of Dover Air Force Base, but it's still Route 1 to the beach.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:29 AM

271 posts, read 996,150 times
Like rdlr, I'm on the run--trying to get us ready for an out-of-state family gathering, but just a thought or two.

I wouldn't linger in Dewey, unless there's something going on that week that interests you. Lewes is, yes, lovely and quaint. If you happen to notice it, on the drive into Lewes (depending on your chosen route), DiBonaventure's Bakery has incredibly good bread. As I recall, the baker studied at the Culinary Instute of America. You might ask him for his recommendations when it comes to Lewes restaurants! Rehoboth has a large selection of restaurants--I recommend the Back Porch Cafe, especially outside under the stars--but there are many others. Friends and visitors always praise the Boardwalk Plaza, of all the Rehoboth hotels, but it's booked and expensive during the summer months.

The Rehoboth Art League located in Henlopen Acres has a wonderful old house as its headquarters, and surrounding studios. Much high quality art displayed and for sale. (Some things not of interest to me, but that's always the case.) The grounds, outdoor sculpture, and location near a charming marina make it more than worthwhile to visit.

By the way, friends of ours who have stayed at the Dover Downs Hotel were pleased with it, and Michele's the, I think, four-diamond restaurant in the hotel, is ranked up there with the Hotel DuPont's best (Wilmington).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware