Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2008, 07:51 PM

903 posts, read 3,507,987 times

Advertisements

Hi trueyank,

I'm one of those people that believes "home" is what you make it, no matter the geographic location. But then again, my birthplace (Ohio) has not been MY home since I was a teenager. What I consider "home" is Va Beach, where I grew up.

I've met several people in my travels here in DE that are natives, left for whatever reason, got homesick and moved back. That says something positive about DE to me.

Good luck with your move, and same goes to you katreese!

Mary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2008, 10:07 PM

29 posts, read 88,095 times
Good Luck Trueyank. I wish you much happiness! Embrace your freedom and ability to choose!

Old 07-31-2008, 03:19 PM

4 posts, read 10,988 times
Thank you all for your kind thoughts and wishes, you have made me really feel so great about my move!!!
Well I made it, had a little trouble manuevering the car trailer all the way from Florida and I got lost in Norfolk Va looking for the tunnel to Maryland, who knew there were so many other tunnells! I ended up in Hampton then in Va Beach..Oh well, I chalked it up to sight seeing which is what I did anyway. The house was ready and waiting for me, its more than I imagined as I looked at the pix on my email. It was built in 1902 and is a true historic victorian beauty. I rented the downstairs and am in heaven here. Literally, the town of Magnolia is so perfect there is a sign to prove it, The sign in front of another historic victorian just as you enter from the south reads "1896 Welcome to Magnolia, the center of the universe, of which all revolves around" ..unbelivable. I have made some aquantances next door at the diner and the neighbors.. I hope to make some more at the "peach porch party" I have been invited to, I am really looking forward to it Saturday. Tomorrow is Friday and I'll be at Spences Bazaar which has been around since forever. It would now be referred to as a farmers market of sorts I suppose.. Its a place where the Amish sell homemade bread, butter, cream, and crops that are in season.. There is a field of something every few miles or so around here, the fog was resting on the top of the corn yesterday evening as a cold front blew by us.. wish I had my camera handy.

I've been to my old elementary school, and middle school and highschool. not much has changed, been to my old neighborhood, more houses..but the best thing is downtown Dover, and Camden are absolutely perfect, still the brick streets downtown and all the historic buildings etc. I even found the one I dreamed about, its on the corner of state and something, you cant miss it, its green slate, and has the most charm of all the victorian houses..Some attorneys offices are in it now though...

I am busy looking for employment if anyone here knows anything keep me in mind, I have been in the insurance/finance industry since 1990 and have all the licenses (and they are current.) I have worked for State Farm for 10 years and an independant office before that for 10 years so I have lots of expierience.. thanks alot!!

Old 07-31-2008, 04:00 PM

6,885 posts, read 11,255,233 times
Smile Going home again

Congratulations! I think there is a part of us that yearns for what you just did.

I can remember having a wonderful childhood in the northern suburbs of Chicago but I know I could never recreate the life I had back then. It was a time that probably no longer exists. I would love to take my family there to visit but most people I knew there have moved and their parents have passed on.

You have a great attitude and I'm sure it will turn out so well for you. Sounds like you are very well adjusted and open!

Let us know how it goes!

Old 08-01-2008, 12:20 AM

Welcome home, trueyank! And glad you had a safe trip from FL! I'm not surprised you got turned around in the Norfolk area; I grew up near the Amphib base and STILL get myself lost when I'm in Tidewater (VA)!

Glad you're gonna make it to the porch party... we will too! Look forward to meeting you Saturday!

Mary

Old 08-01-2008, 07:12 AM

271 posts, read 996,391 times
Truyank, what an adventure you've undertaken. It will be interesting to read about your coming home experiences over the months to come.

I know the green Victorian you refer to--I think. The one on the corner of State and Division (Route 8).

In fact, downtown Dover probably looks prettier than you remember, with the trees well grown and the ornamental plantings. I wish so many stores weren't closed.

I don't have a chance to read here often, but I will check in now and then to see how you're doing. Bette is exactly right about so many of us yearning, somehow, to go home again. You've made a great start!

Old 08-03-2008, 12:10 PM

Hi trueyank!

So nice to meet you yesterday at the Peach Festival! And I'm SO glad for you that you are happy with your decision to "come home"! We'll definitely have to stay in touch, as believe it or not, we have some things in common already.

Don't know if you heard yesterday, but before moving to DE, I was an insurance agent too! I'd like to talk to you off the forum about our "shared" industry... if you don't mind! Please send me a private message, and I'll pass along my e-mail and home phone.

And Anniebleu, I think you have the right building! I too have tried to explore downtown Dover area, and it seems there is a nice revitalization going on. Some things are still in process, of course, and the local/national/international economy is NOT helping THAT in good ways, but so far, I for one think nice things are happening. Now mind you, I too see room for improvement (the vacant properties, etc), but I have hopes that there is a light at the end of that tunnel too!

trueyank, hope settlin' in is goin' good... and welcome back, again!

Mary

Old 08-03-2008, 07:51 PM

361 posts, read 1,948,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryCh View Post
Hi trueyank,

Good luck with your move, and same goes to you katreese!

Mary
Thanks!

Old 08-04-2008, 05:14 AM

You are quite welcome, katreese!

And Bette, I meant to add that I think you are so right! The old farm house in no where Ohio, that is truly the old homestead for my mom's side of the family, calls my name periodically. Lucky for us, when the farm was sold and no longer accessible to us, one of mom's high school classmates and her husband bought it. So, anytime I get a yearnin' for my old home, we just make a phone call, gas up the van, and hit the road for Ohio!

My husband, city boy that he is, would love nothing better than to buy THAT farm and set out the rockers on the grand front porch. But like you, I know it would not work for us as a permanent place to plant our boots. I can see hubby on a John Deere tractor, but only for heavy lawn care! Not true farming, which my grandparents (and mom and sibs) did for so many years. He knows it too, but if we don't dare to dream, we might as well give up the ghost!

Mary

Old 08-06-2008, 10:34 AM

271 posts, read 996,391 times
Mary and trueyank, you met! I'm so envious of those who participated here and have eventually met. I think we all have visions of the person whose posts we've read, and I'd love to be able to see if mine match! I keep thinking that sometime--right now it appears to be in the fall--I'll be able to meet some of you. For now, just putting in an appearance briefly here is a challenge.

Mary, I so hope you're right about the revitalization of Dover's downtown, but I've been hearing that, and witnessing attempts for over 30 years. When we moved here, we heard that the Blue Hen Mall had taken a lot of business away, and then, of course, the Dover Mall and many other stores on Route 13. Now all the stores that attracted quite a few people seem to be gone.

I'll have to drive by and look closely. I'd love to see some clever approaches to luring people back to the heart of Dover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware