Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2008, 11:45 PM

3 posts, read 16,919 times

Advertisements

I'm also a newcomer. I'm moving to the Wilmington Area on Friday from South Carolina. Can someone maybe suggest places to meet new people. I'm moving there to live with my Aunt and two cousins, but leaving the rest of my fam behind. I'm kinda shy so it's hard to meet new people, but i dont want to be in a new state without any friends. lol I need something to get my mind off my fam in SC. I'm sure my first couple weeks will be stressful with looking for a job and trying to find my way around. I also have to learn how to travel by bus...lol it's just a whole new experience!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 06:52 AM

4,231 posts, read 15,456,126 times
You'll prob. meet people thru your relatives. Once you get a job, you'll be busy and prob. will meet others in similar circumstances. Also you can join meetup.com, just put in your zip and hobbies etc - also many churches have singles groups - getting involved in volunteering w/b another way - getting out and going for walks in your new neighborhood helps (vs sitting home) - am sure you'll do fine - just look at it as a new adventure <G>. Best of luck.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:26 AM

152 posts, read 652,717 times
Welcome to De. Dakota. May I suggest to you that depending on your niche - things that interest you can be found anywhere you reside. That is all up to you. If you don't already know the bus service DART is for wilm. Again, welcome and enjoy.

Old 08-06-2008, 08:20 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,424,711 times
Hey Dakota.

Welcome to the area.

Make sure you, first and foremost, get acquainted with the bus schedules at DART First State - Home Page as they can be infrequent, confusing, and are totally different on Saturdays and Sundays.

There are ways of meeting people we can share with you if you tell us what you're into, your age, etc.. Just let us know.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:18 PM

Thanks everyone. I'm into just about everything. I like trying new things...lol as long as they arent too dangerous. I'm 23. Love the movies, shopping, anything to do with water (seriously i'm obsessed with water), and i like all kinds of music. So just like yall said i'm sure i'll find something to do.

Old 08-09-2008, 01:24 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,424,711 times
Well, here ya go, 23 year old.

I'm 24, so I'm pretty much in line with what you're into, which is probably hotties and good times.

Break the shyness. Delaware people are bold and friendly. Wilmington people are a little on the rougher side, and may come off as a little mean, but are generally still friendly compared to some of the tri-state area.

The best place for you to start is Trolley Square. This is a neighborhood in western Wilmington (city,) where lots of young people live, and has lots of pubs and bars for you to go and meet people.

Newark is an option as well. This is a small town west of Wilmington, and also would be a great place for you to live. This is a college town, and has lots of bars and pubs and coffee places for you to meet other people in your age range.

West Chester is a town about 20 minutes north of Wilmington where there is a college. There are lots of young people, a university, and lots of friendly pubs, coffee shops, and restaurants.

Wilmington's riverfront is a nice place to take your girl, (or boy,) but is not a great place to meet people necessarily. It's not really a meeting place, but more of a place to go with people you already know.

I strongly urge you to take advantage of the location of Wilmington, as well. Within 30 minutes, or 50 minutes on the Septa train is Philadelphia, which has a great Center City area and has tons of stuff to do.

Dewey Beach is the Delaware beach around 80 miles south (or a bus ride on dart,) and is the young party beach town. I strongly suggest, if you get here during Summer, to waste some money on a hotel, and meet some people down at Starboard or Rusty Rudder, which are clubs where there is live music and such.

Rehoboth Beach is another beach which is decent for mingling as well, and is recognized as one of the better beaches in the country (not sure why.) It is pretty nice though, has a nice town, and has a few waves for you to boogyboard or possibly surf.

Wilmington doesn't have much in terms of live music, but there is Mojo 13, north of Wilmington, on Philadelphia pike that offers some live music.

So... to give you some bar names to meet people, here ya go.

Catherine Rooney's
Logan House Trolley Square
Dead Presidents'
Mojo 13
McKenzie's (Chadds Ford, PA)
Starboard (Dewey Beach)
Rusty Rudder (Dewey Beach)
Scratch McGoos
Union Tavern
Iron Hill Brewery
Shaggy's Bar (Newark)
Home Grown (Newark)
Deer Park Tavern (Newark)

The above places basically are larger bars where you can go and not feel you've broken into a clique, or a neighborhood bar. These are places where you can meet girls and friends and be accepted if you start a conversation.

You will also want to join the YMCA. Get into a workout clique, and get to know some of the guys (or girls,) and maybe get to hang out with them. The Newark Y has 3 badass pools that are almost always frequented by lots of cool people as well. It is located along Kirkwood Highway on the Newark fringes.

There isnt much else in terms of meeting mass people in a common place except for bars and gyms. You can try a bowling league, but you're 23 and you shouldn't have too much trouble with what I supplied for you.

Good luck, dude!

Last edited by Joe84323; 08-09-2008 at 01:36 AM..

Old 09-02-2008, 12:14 AM

Thank u...I think im doing well. I even got a job at DP. Btw i'm a girl not a dude lol. Again thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware