Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 09:05 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,548,988 times

Advertisements

Here is a great site to look at different school districts: SchoolDigger.com - School Rankings, Reviews and More - Public and Private Elementary, Middle, High Schools The problem is, as you've already said, comparing schools across state lines. We lived equi-distant to Concord High School (DE) and Garnet Valley HS (PA). While you can't compare scores since each one is rated on their own state testing, you can get an idea of how many students came out proficient or advanced. Scores, of course, are just one aspect. I would strongly suggest personally visiting schools before deciding on a location and see what you feel comfortable with.

My husband and I are both graduates of Delaware schools and frankly, I thought I had had a pretty good education. It wasn't until my kids were going through the schools up here that I realized that it wasn't so hot. Maybe it was the flaky '60's and '70's or maybe a bad slower lower education, but my kids just had a lot more content and sophisticated education then I did. To be fair, my husband did seem to fare a bit better in Northern Delaware and he's a pretty successful engineer. But, when it was time for us to pick that school a few years ago and we had to compare the schools on the border (where the poster is looking), the ones on the Pennsylvania side, especially the High Schools, just looked much better.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Last edited by toobusytoday; 10-14-2011 at 07:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2011, 06:31 PM

1 posts, read 882 times
Hi, I've been living in Delaware for two years now, had to move here for work and wasn't expecting to be here as long as I have, but I know I'll be here for another 20 months then I'm moving on. Here is where I'm at though, my son will start kindergarten in September of 2012. Our feeder school is marbrook, and based on what we've heard, we do not want to send him there. My wife has been looking into the choice school program and we seem to think that Richey, forest oak or heritage would be a good fit.

what I wanted to know is:
What are the chances of getting into a choice school? specifically one of those.
Are those schools good?
Should we be looking into private schools as well?
Any other alternatives or other tips to tackling this situation.

Any information you could provide would be very helpful. Thank you!

Old 11-04-2011, 03:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,980 times
Default Schools...

We have been searching and searching. I had so much anxiety over sending my kids to an overcrowded or less achieving school, so we have decided to only look in districts that we feel comfortable in. With that being said, we will have to forgo the type of home we want in order to be able to afford a house in said school district. Our youngest is in first grade and in 11 years, we will be able to move without worry about district. It is so frustrating to us but I think in the end it will be the responsible thing to do. Currently we are focusing efforts in Malvern, PA with Great Valley School District.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
View detailed profiles of: