Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2008, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 20,563 times

Advertisements

Oh yeah...and if any of you who criticized my "redneck" comment can look at yourselves in the mirror and HONESTLY say, "I would LOVE to live in a run down, squirrel-eating, no-shoe-wearing, trailer-park-loving, mullet-hair-do-sporting, no-tooth-having REDNECK town"...then more power to ya and criticize me some more. However...since I don't feel any of you would honestly be able to do that.....

Last edited by jerzygrl; 09-25-2008 at 12:45 PM.. Reason: forgot end-quotes
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2008, 12:59 PM

18 posts, read 67,238 times
I think basically the whole state of Delaware is rural except Newark and Wilmington. You need to take all of those preferences to a realtor if you want a realistic answer. And I thought Chicago was Chi town not Shytown...LOL

Old 09-26-2008, 11:19 AM

272 posts, read 786,217 times
Jerzygrl
Northern Delaware is a diverse area. If there is an "all white" neighborhood here I don't know of any. Maybe down in the southern part of the state there is but not up here.

I respect your preference and believe that it's important that you remain honest about it. However you must also respect opinions that disagree with yours - including Jayman's and mine offered here.

I am considered to be a right-wing conservative Republican. I hate politically correct thinking, and the multi-cultural, moral relativism and all-around mushy-headedness that underlays it. I grew up in an all-white neighborhood in the surburban Midwest and didn't go to school with a black kid until I attended a private catholic high school in the city.

But my experience has taught me that prejudice based on skin color is immoral and wrong on every level. It blinds you to the threats posed by the people with your same skin color. At the same time it separates you from an entire swath of the population, kind and decent people who you have a lot in common with except for one thing: skin color.

As a gauge of safety it's completely useless. I've been robbed at gunpoint by white people. Among my neighbors I've had more trouble with whites than other races.

One of our nation's strengths is its diversity - I just don't like having it rammed down my throat either. But I hope that you eventually realize its value even as it is used as a buzzword by well-meaning idiots.

Old 09-26-2008, 12:21 PM

604 posts, read 2,010,445 times
Jerzy girl:

Your guesses about the towns e.g Milford, Magnolia were good but with rising gas prices (mass transportation is not that popular) you may want to choose to live close to your place of employment. So U may want to find a job and determine its location B4 deciding a place to live. Without getting into the debate about the nature of the community U prefer, please be assured that there are several communities that will be satisfactory and meet your requirements. Major employment centers are in and around Wilmington, Dover and Newark - unless you are a school teacher that may find a job in any School District, urban or rural.... Will be prepared to answer any more Qs if U have any.

Old 09-26-2008, 02:13 PM

512 posts, read 1,635,487 times
Jerzgirl,

While I've read through this thread here is what I will say to you. It piggy backs off of jskirwin. With all do respect lady..... you just don't get it. I will agree with you on the fact that everyone has a preference. However the way you came across on this board is pretty bad. Ignorance isn't necessarily a bad word. It just means you are unaware. You got some heat because lets face it "Predominately white neighborhood" is basically identifying that one race is better to be around. If your use to that fine. Hey I'm use to being around African americans, but I wouldn't say hey where are the predominately black neighborhoods to live in. It doesn't sound right, plus it is offensive.

I encourage you to be open minded. Realize that just because minorities are around, doesn't mean we will bring crime and low property value to the neighborhood. I realize that you basically wanted don't want to live in the ghetto. Fine well and dandy. I feel you on that.

I will step out on a limb and offer you my deepest apology for calling you racist. I was quick to judge and that isn't right. So with that in mind I will return this forum to what it was intended for your information.

Old 09-27-2008, 01:59 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,409 times
If I can chime in again, I think that you can find an almost all-white NEIGHBORHOOD, but in no way are you not going to come in contact with people of other ethnicities. I pride myself on the fact that anywhere I go in NCC I can look around, and see a little bit of the whole world.

Delaware in general is going to be way diverse for someone who wants a homogenous area. And again, I don't knock Jersey Girl for her preferences. Some people just weren't brought up in a diverse area, and they wouldn't fare well. It's a detriment to them that they will have to deal with. It's not our problem.

Then again, where in Jersey would one find a homogenous area? Even in the bowls of the pine barrens, I see large Hispanic communities ( a la Vineland/Millville.)

Old 03-04-2009, 10:27 PM

5 posts, read 22,281 times
how about if someone just answers the question

Old 03-05-2009, 05:56 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,974,466 times
What was it again??

Old 03-05-2009, 01:56 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzygrl View Post
I'm sorry if my question has been answered already but I'm tired of searching through these blogs to find exactly what I need to know.
I was born and raised in NJ and I recently got married. Unfortunately, I can't afford to stay.
I am from a very nice, rural part of the state. I drive at least 10 minutes to the grocery store and at least 25 to the nearest mall - and that is FINE with me. I don't want to live where I can walk to the store...but I don't want to be in redneck land either. I don't want to live in an overcrowded area. I want to find a town/area in DE that is like where I am from...basically zero crime, predominantly white middle-class, beautiful back roads with close highway access however so that I can commute easily to the more populated areas when I need to shop etc.
I am having a hard time researching this because everytime I think I'm onto something, citydata gives a high crime percentage, or someone's thread says the oppostie to what I think I've found. Can anyone help me? I wan't to spend NO MORE than $200,000 on something...$150,000 if possible. I don't want to live in a dump or a trailer or anything. A nice townhouse or a nice ranch house...is that realistic for those prices??
Some towns that I THOUGHT seemed like where I am from are Milford, Magnolia, Townsend...some others that seemed a bit bigger were Smyrna, Middletown...good schools and a family community are important too.
THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!
There's the OP, but I believe jerzygrl has left the building.. no posts since her last one on this thread last September. Perhaps she decided to stay in her cozy NJ neighborhood.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 03-25-2009, 01:00 AM

31 posts, read 105,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe84323 View Post
I appreciate what you're saying, but you are wrong. Statistically, blacks are linked with higher crime rates. I'm speaking STATISTICALLY. You want to challege this, talk to any demographer or statistician or read their reports.

I don't like that that is how it is, but it is a statistical fact. Do your homework.
As a scientist. I assure you, I did my homework waaay before I tested out.... However perhaps you are speaking from your own background historically speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware