Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2008, 02:54 PM

1 posts, read 1,679 times

Advertisements

Hello

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hi. The company I work for will be relocating to the Wilmington area (19809) in late November. My husband and I are in our late 20s and have never lived outside of the state of Florida. I'm looking forward to the change, but am freaking out a little. I'm grateful for any advise that can be passed my way. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 04:47 PM

121 posts, read 519,255 times
New Castle County is well populated, the climate will be an adjustment, there are plenty of restaurants in the area. People are friendly once you get to know them a little bit. Every state has its quirks and differences, taxes are relatively low, no sales tax.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:51 PM

272 posts, read 789,912 times
Late 20s, married and haven't lived out of Florida... America is a beautiful country filled with so much diversity that you really should make it a point to see some of it before you get too tied down with kids, family obligations, etc. I've lived in DE for 11 years now, but prior to that I lived in Japan, Africa, California and am originally from the Midwest. Every place is different, as are the people.

Delaware is no different. It has a bit of the Philly in-your-face attitude, but less of the NASCAR style driving that you'll find in NJ or PA. It has a relatively low crime rate, is pretty kid-friendly (although I have serious problems with the public schools) and has a pretty healthy job climate thanks to its central location between Philly and Baltimore. If South Beach Miami is more your style, then forget it; DE is quiet - and people tend to like it that way. There's always Philly or NYC for excitement after all.

Best thing to do would be to fly up here and spend a weekend driving around. Don't do the touristy stuff: instead visit the grocery stores and drive around the neighborhoods - seeing the places you will work at, live and spend your time.

As for the move itself, try not to stress too much about it. If you don't like Delaware, you can always move somewhere else. It all depends on where you are in your life and what you need from it. However it's really not a bad place to live and work.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware