Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2008, 06:27 PM

10 posts, read 35,148 times

Advertisements

Hi, all

I grew up in Philadelphia/South New Jersey. Moved to Michigan in 1996.
I am AA, my husband is caucasion. We have 2 beautiful biracial children.
Would love to move close to my extended family but it's a tough call.

We currently reside in a suburb of Michigan. It is very safe, family friendly, diverse and our children attend one of the best school's in our area.

I am looking for a safe neighborhood, excellent schools, diversity, etc. close to Philadelphia. I came accross information about Bear Delaware. Wondering if this area may be worth checking out? Affordable housing would also be a plus!

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
~Lyris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2008, 10:51 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,414,683 times
Bear is the 'deal' area in Northern DE. People who want a deal on a house with a yard in the suburbs choose Bear. Because of that, it is totally diverse, but it isn't the lowest crime area. You'll find tons of people from Philly (city) North New Jersey, and New York who have moved down for the lower property values and lower taxes, so because of that, it is a big influx area.

You'll see some Delawareans who live in Bear, but a lot of people there are not from Bear, so you won't get shunned for being different, or not from the area.

Bear is like a mix between... maybe Maple Shade, Bensalem, and Darby, with new development.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:30 AM

12,054 posts, read 23,340,579 times
Bear is extremely diverse with family friendly activities. There are a few shopping centers, the Bear Library, and the new YMCA. Glasgow Park has a very nice playground, walking/biking path, and trails. Lums Pond has boating, sports areas, and picnic areas for family reunions. There are many types of sports associations, dance schools, etc. The Appoquinimink School District is considered one of the best in Delaware for public schools. The Bear area across Route 896 is in the Appo District. Many nice developments there.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:33 AM

4,726 posts, read 11,975,473 times
Yes, and I'll wager that Bear is about as afflicted with foreclosures on subprime mortgages as Middletown. IMO you can expect both these communities to be particularly hit by decline over the next few years. Bear also seems to be the capital of suburban crime in northern New Castle Co.

Old 09-30-2008, 06:56 AM

Thank you all so much. It is greatly appreciated.
I am a bit concerned about the crime mentioned.........

Old 09-30-2008, 07:06 AM

Lyris, there is crime everywhere. If you can find the place where there is none, let us all know. That said, when I moved to Bear almost 9 years ago, Bear was quite transient. However, with MBNA gone, things seem to have settled down. I have had the same neighbors since I have lived here and they are the best. You will always have the people who move from Philly, Jersey, and NYC, some of whom are moving to get away from previous circumstances and yes, that might be that they were involved in crime. I think if you go into well-established neighborhoods that you will probably not see that element. Most of us in these neighborhoods are educated and want the same things that you want. Have some bought above their means? Of course, because you will find that everywhere. The mortgage situation will get many of the people who bought above their means. We have three homes for sale in our neighborhood and who knows why that is. Come down and see for yourself. The biggest problems here are not being able to walk to the store, Friday and race weekend traffic, and nuisance crimes like bashing in mailboxes, graffiti, etc. Of course, my mail carrier does more damage to the mailbox than the one time vandals bashed it in.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:11 PM

SXMGirl,
Thanks so much! You are absolutely correct about crime being everywhere.
My son is in the sixth grade and is not happy about moving. My daughter is excited but a little nervous.
We are going to make the drive to Delaware in about 2 weeks. I hope the visit will make my children feel a little better.
Thanks to people like yourself, it's great to hear that Bear is a nice place.
We are also going to check out Williamstown, NJ (close to my parents home). Trying to decide between the two.

Thanks again

Old 10-01-2008, 06:35 AM

Lyris, we looked in Williamstown years ago when I taught in NJ. Loved it, but the taxes at that time were outrageous. Good luck to you and your family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Delaware